Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Keirax   Repfanaticlady29   Keirax   HerpsinIN  
 Member  Message

Keirax
View Profile

Tiberious

Well we brought our new family member home last night, he’s a blue nose Staffordshire bull Terrier about 3 and a half months old according to the shelter we rescued him from. He is so tame already, we took him to pet-co to get a collar and there was a guy and his huge lab, the lab saw my puppy and started growling and lunging at him. My puppy however did not react to the dog just sat next to me looking up at me as if to ask me why the other dog was so angry lol. Then a small child came over to pet him she was like 5 or so and i was sure he would jump on her but again he just sat down next to me and softly licked her hand. Everything was great till her mom walked over and asked me if he was "one of those pit bull dogs" be for i could answer her another Staffordshire owner corrected her. Surprisingly she didnt drag her daughter away she sat and spoke with us more about the breed. We have only had this little guy for 24 hours and we already have him sitting, staying, and laying down using the clicker method. I hope to get picks up soon of him have to upload the software for my camera to the Mac im using :( anyways one less dog out there suffering from owners that just want them for show or being put down in the prime of their life. Please if your thinking about animal to join your family think adoption first. :D

07/02/10  09:52pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Keirax   In reference to Message Id: 2160055

Tiberious

Glad to hear you finally got him home. You really shouldn’t take him to places like Petco and Petsmart until he gets all of his immunizations. They don’t pay attention to if the animals that come into their stores are healthy/immunized or not. The parvo virus is a nasty disease and has cost many puppies their lives.

ASTs are categorized as pit bulls (so are APBTs and SBTs), so the lady was correct. Many APBT and AST owners will argue that they are the same breed. Most of the best ASTs in history do have APBT lineage, but they have been bred to a different standard since then. I don’t much care either way. I love my pet bull no matter what breed, or mix, she is.

07/02/10  11:16pm

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2160065

Tiberious

oh i wouldnt take him any where without his shots he has everything but rabies right now i took care of it all yesterday he got neutered, parvo up to stage 3 shots worms everything he was old enough for :D in 3 weeks he will be getting his rabies and last parvo shot and then he can really go everywhere with me lol cant wait to lake him to the lake and hikeing.

07/02/10  11:27pm

HerpsinIN
View Profile

Message To: Keirax   In reference to Message Id: 2160068

Tiberious

The bully breeds are considered to be more "contagious" to the parvo virus than the other breeds for some reason. From my experience and knowledge, they usually recommend not taking a bully breed puppy to public places until there are atleast 3 boosters and many vets i know, recommend a 4th booster for parvo in bully breeds. Also, being he JUST got neutered and boosted, his immune system is going to actually be LOWER than normal, making him more susceptible to diseases (including Parvo).

07/04/10  07:41pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area