Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

KrazyKelli   Ghastly   KrazyKelli   Ghastly   KrazyKelli   Ghastly  
 Member  Message

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Yuki’s Great Adventure - and tar.

My grandparents came over for a visit and in all the activity Yukito, my 7 year old corgi, was left on the deck without the gate up. A while later I noticed he was missing from the house, looked around, then went outside and called for him.

This levitating dog with no legs shot out from behind someone’s yard a freaking mile down and bolted straight towards me. Good dog.

He was filthy. Clearly he was rolling in deer poop and stuff. So I did what any good owner would do and gave him a bath via hose + dog shampoo.

A little later I noticed that he was a little lame (which he’s prone to with that anatomy). I had him roll over, then checked him. His paw was caked in tar. He also had a little tar on his belly and back paw. I was able to easily cut off the tar fur on his belly, and his back paw wasn’t that bad. Man, I must’ve worked on his front paw with him laying there obediently for an hour. I cut out most, but some was still caked in between his toes. Bloody well his two inner toes were stuck together. No wonder he had a limp.

So I went online. Instead of coming immediately here and waiting all day for an answer, I looked it up on google. Use oil. Okay. I took some vegi oil and the dog shampoo, put him in my bathroom, and we went through the ’rub in oil, rinse under water, shampoo, rinse under water’ ruiteen three times in a row. Very patient dog.

Most of the tar is off. The noticeable junk has softened up and came off easily, and I simply repeated the bathing paws cycle until he no longer left brown smears in my bathtub - and until I no longer easily dabbed off brown with the paper towel.

Currently he’s downstairs on the hardwood floor and tile (gated from the expensive carpeted areas until I’m 100% positive that he wont be a walking paw mark waiting to happen. I gave him a carrot as a reward, and vacuumed up all the tar fur I cut off.

1. Is there anything more I could possibly do? Or have I done enough?

2. How on this freaking planet could he have stepped in tar on his great excursion through the neighborhood? Quite possible only through the wetlands and people’s backyards.

On the by, this was the first time that my dog ’ran away’... Or, well, his first time alone outside with no leash on. Was a terrifying experience. When I realized what happened, I had all of these terrible images of my dog being hit by a car, or the boxer down the street attacking him. I’m so glad I put him through training all the time, specially that training to come immediately when I call and kneel outside.

06/17/10  07:51pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2156564

Oh heck what a big adventure for little Yukito!! I can only imagine how worried you were!

I have never used any thing on tar since i have never been in your situation i know oil works but you have already used that, its just one of these general things that will shift in its own time especially since tar isn’t exactly something that can be washed away!
Are your sidewalks and roads made of tar? I know around here ours are during hot weather they melt (i have drawn a few smiley faces and rude pics in the tar locally ^^) but that may also be the cause of it.

All the best!!

06/18/10  02:31pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2156718

Nah, the sidewalks are concrete and the road is rock/gravel. They do patch up parts of the road with tar, though. I walked up and down the sidewalk looking for patch-tar and found none. My next thought is that someone could’ve laid down tar in their yard somewhere. Or could’ve been working with tar. I mean, the neighbor’s across the lot have a bbq grill - though I don’t know if tar would be used with that.

The rub with vegi oil/rinse with dog shampoo technique did get all of the tar off of his paw. =D So that’s good news over all. Something about oil that just loosens tar up and turns it into mush.

06/21/10  08:30pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2157410

Good to hear the tar has shifted now! ^^

Dogs will cease to amaze us on how they get bizarre things stuck to them, yesterday morning i let the new Dobes out for a run in the yard as i do i had to go out so called them back over now it wasn’t stuck to him but one of them had a fish! It wasn’t dead still alive the others were trying t play with it also as dogs do. But i was baffled where this fish came from! I don’t have my koi anymore and the pond is all filled up despite the fish wasn’t a koi i had the pond to clear out, im too far away for crawling fish to come near plus the heat we had along with a month with no rain has definitely shown there is no puddles, so how this thing got here and survived i don’t know but well it was a breakfast ^^

06/22/10  04:09pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2157632

Hahaha, I don’t know... I’ve heard of some pretty big fish being found in creeks. But there’s nothing much to say about random unknown fish showing up in your yard. Maybe a lung fish? They go into a cocoon-like state and burry themselves underground to wait out for the next rain. The dogs could have dug one up and pulled off the slime.

Yuki’s usual offenses are that he rolls in deer and turkey crap, and will run in puddles and mud. He’s never found a fish =P I usually only let him out without leash in the winter - because I have to create paths in the snow for him and he pretty much sticks to them. I can’t trust him without a leash any other part of the year. It’s not that he’ll run off... It’s that everyone else has a dog that may bite his face off if he has an encounter, even in my yard. That and he will go at the German Shepherds next door; even with a fence separating them he could get injured.

Tar is pretty up there in ’Dog’s worse run-on’s. Stuff was like a sticky gum that left stains. Don’t get me started on cleaning his crate bed up.

06/22/10  05:15pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2157656

No we don’t get lungfish around here plus we need license to own exotic fish which isn’t overly cheap, plus we don’t get and crawling/land fish around here only fish we have ever had on land was a hammerhead shark, squid (very large bigger than me) along with the occasional octopus and jellyfish. But this thing was like a large trout Ace’s head was slightly tilted carrying the thing it was huge a good two possibly three meals out the thing for a couple of people!

I have to count myself lucky that my dogs have never had the habit of rolling in icky stuff!! Ah thats cute with making him little snow path ^^
Most of the dogs around here are like that especially the border collie dogs i myself don’t trust the breed due to bad experience but they are wild, destructive, disobedient around here Milla has been attacked and almost killed by one when she was 14 weeks and had 3 other run in’s with different collies (along with a lab and a handful of times by one GSD). I myself don’t trust other peoples dogs unless i know them (dog and owner) strangers and there dogs on a walk im wary of evan Milla she gets her back up, ears back and goes flighty but who could blame her!! But i wouldn’t blame you with Yukito and the GSD next to you.

06/22/10  05:39pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area