Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Amyers   KrazyKelli   Ghastly   Oldmischief   HerpsinIN   Ghastly   Amyers   Ghastly   Amyers   HerpsinIN   Ghastly  
 Member  Message

Amyers
View Profile

Would it be stupid if...

I took my jack Russel to the local groomer to have him shaved? hes is a mix mind you and hes shedding a lot! the grooming place said I should shave him and we decided not to that time, but since its summer it gets hot. so is it an okay idea? What do u guys think?

heres a pic of him just for fun ^^

06/16/10  05:27pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Amyers   In reference to Message Id: 2156308

Would it be stupid if...

I take my corgi to the groomers a few times a year to get a simple bathe&brush. It doesn’t cost that much and removes all the loose fur after shedding season. Last time he plugged up their sink four times with his fur before he looked good. And it’s funny because he’s short-furred and doesn’t look like he’s a shedding maniac.

Other than that, simply groom your dog once to twice a week, preferably outside or on a deck if he sheds mad. Get two or three proper brushes that accommodate your dog’s fur type (take your dog to the pet supply store, show them, then get guidance). One to remove the dirt under what fur is there and loosen the fur (usually a stubbed rubber-type brush), one to push the dirt/fur off the body in clumps (average dog brush) and, optionally, one to smooth down the fur to help the coat from looking ragged after the first two brushes (soft-bristle brush). Not only will you cut down on fur in your house, but you will also be spending therapeutic companionship time with your dog during the brushes.

06/16/10  07:12pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Would it be stupid if...

I don’t think it would be stupid, a few people here get there short coated dogs shaved some people evan get the likes of Labradors done don’t get me wrong they still have fur but its short does a difference in the dog though!!

06/17/10  05:16pm

Oldmischief
View Profile

Would it be stupid if...

our groomer uses a de-shedding conditioner that works wonders! Having said that, I too dont think its stupid to shave him.

06/18/10  10:21pm

HerpsinIN
View Profile

Message To: Oldmischief   In reference to Message Id: 2156802

Would it be stupid if...

I think it is stupid to shave it. The hair not only keeps a dog warm during cold weather, but it is also believed to help keep cool in warmer weather. Basically it acts like the insulation used in a house. Also, it protects the skin from the UV rays and from getting sun burnt. Even if you shave the dog, he is still going to shed. The hairs are just going to be smaller.

06/19/10  11:12pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: HerpsinIN   In reference to Message Id: 2157017

Would it be stupid if...

You can buy a sunblock for dogs online and in the pets store, mainly used on paw pads and there nose as they are the most likely places to burn eg. sun hitting off the nose and the pads on the hot ground. There is a brand that you can use to comb through the dogs body too.
If i could shave my dogs i would they are all short haired (APBT and numerous Dobes) and don’t exactly cool down quickly evan lying down in the shade or in a kids paddling pool (i don’t trust a exhausted dog in the big pool) after they have had a run or playing with eachother.

But all in all we all have our opinion and its up to each pet owner to do what they would like :)

06/20/10  11:13am

Amyers
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2157068

Would it be stupid if...

i don’t think i will shave him after all. ill just take him to the groomers to be groomed and im going to buy a brush so i can brush him daily. what brushes have u guys used to help with less shedding?

06/20/10  05:19pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Amyers   In reference to Message Id: 2157146

Would it be stupid if...

Undercoat rake!! The clue is in the name it strips the dead fur from the undercoat out works like a gem! I then like to use a slicker brush over the top for the top coat ^^

06/20/10  06:03pm

Amyers
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2157154

Would it be stupid if...

aight, thanks ghastly and everyone else for ur opinions ! lol im just going to have to persuade my mom to buy the undercoat rake, its like 15 bucks lol and the last time we got an expensive brush it sucked lol

06/20/10  06:27pm

HerpsinIN
View Profile

Message To: Amyers   In reference to Message Id: 2157160

Would it be stupid if...

I found those Furminators are awesome, but if you use a stripping knife in the same motion, it works the same way. I paid like $5 for my stripping knife (for my bouvier) and my parents use it for their labs. It works great.

06/21/10  07:17pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Amyers   In reference to Message Id: 2157160

Would it be stupid if...

Haha lol that usually happens with me! Well i would say 15$ is good since the brush is awesome, if/when you do get it brush against the fur growth also eg. up the spine, across the way etc to get the best "work out" on the coat. Would eBay have a cheaper one for you? Mikki is a good brand of dog brush.

06/22/10  04:03pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area