Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Marissa4   Ghastly   FutureVet123   Keirax  
 Member  Message

Marissa4
View Profile

The flu

so it started off with my Chihuahua.. vomiting and diarrhea. and now our lab and youngest olde english bulldogge has it.. well anyways i wanted to know if i should take them to the vet. ive never had a dog sick before actually, and well i use to be able to afford taking 6 dogs to a vet, but as of right now i can’t even afford one... so i just wanted to know how neccissary it is that take the three sick ones?

06/13/10  12:53pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Marissa4   In reference to Message Id: 2155394

The flu

I would separate the sick one’s from the healthy since it is spreading most possibly airborne, just take the sick one’s to the vet they will get some inoculations (one each), temperature check and possibly either a liquid or tablet to be taken orally.

06/13/10  01:28pm

FutureVet123
View Profile

Message To: Marissa4   In reference to Message Id: 2155394

The flu

It would at least be a good idea to call the vet for a phone consultation; they won’t charge for that, and you can give them the symptoms and they’ll tell you what you can do or how to make them comfortable. The best thing for now is to separate the sick dogs from the healthy ones and see if you can keep it from spreading. Also, how old are your dogs? I know that parvo often affects puppies but I doubt that’s it. Anyway, I would keep monitoring the situation and if it does get worse, the best thing to do would be to get them to the vet.
-Peaches and Jeni

06/13/10  01:30pm

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: FutureVet123   In reference to Message Id: 2155405

The flu

i know this was posted a few days ago and you might already have found out what was wrong but i just joined the dog form and wanted to put my advise in. From what your saying it started with one dog and then moved to two more dogs.. are all of the vomiting and have diarrhea? How fast did it spread? Is there anything in the vomit or stool? I have had many dogs over my years and have been studding vet work because i can not always afford to take my dogs to the vet office.if they are vomiting a lot you must keep your dogs hydrated. Make sure they drink lots of fluids even if you have to force it with a turkey baster. Gatorade is good to keep them hydrated anything to keep food and water in them because they will be losing a lot of their fluids from vomiting. to me this sounds alot like parvo, all oft he dogs i hear of getting parvo starts off like a flu nothing but vomiting and diarrhea, what parvo does is dehydrate your dogs thats why its so dangerous to young and old dogs. I would defiantly call the vet and run the symptoms by them. If it is parvo they will want you to bring in all your dogs because parvo is highly contagious. This can be very costly. Im disabled and can not afford to take my animals to the vet. Many people say i shouldnt have then them if i can not afford vet bills but i see a dog in need and cant help myself. I had a litter of 3puppies that i found about a year ago, turns out one of them had parvo and gave it to the others. I could not afford to take them to the vet so i did what i could to help them. I was up every hour on the hour forcing water and Gatorade and any liquids i could down their throats. I kept doing this for 4 days. There for a min i thought i was going to lose them but in the end they all pulled threw. I still have one of them shes a very fun loving dog and the others i found homes for. If it is parvo and you can not afford it you can help your dogs by keeping them hydrated. The treatment the vets give the dogs in the iv at the vets is similar to gatorade all the vets do is keep your dog hydrated with a few added antibodies to help them fight it off. But please only do this if you CAN NOT afford to take them to the vet, this is NOT a full proof method to save your dogs life. I wish you the best and hope that it is in fact the common cold and not Parvo
Keirax

06/24/10  06:07pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area