Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Schgsd   Ghastly   Schgsd   Ghastly   Schgsd   Ghastly   Schgsd   Schgsd   Ghastly   Schgsd   Ghastly  
 Member  Message

Schgsd
View Profile

Schutzhund ?

I have a 13 week old GSD who is doing schutzhund and they told me not to play tug with him cause he’s teething. What can I do with him?

06/09/10  02:53pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Schgsd   In reference to Message Id: 2154516

Schutzhund ?

I do Schutzhund with Dobermann Pinscher. What are you asking as im not too clear on the question (English isn’t my first language) also American and European Schutzhund have slightly different rules although i don’t see why you cannot play tug with him? Did they say why? What class is he enrolling in also depending on his field i can be more of a help.

06/09/10  03:16pm

Schgsd
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2154519

Schutzhund ?

I want to learn protection and the reason why they said not to play tug is because he’s teathing and it hurts when he bites so he’ll associate biting with the pain. What do you do with your dobie?

06/09/10  04:05pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Schgsd   In reference to Message Id: 2154531

Schutzhund ?

I do personal protection and bomb/drug detection as mine end up going to work for the police and occasionally the army, i don’t sell to family home’s. Dogs that don’t pass and have no "correct" working interest go on to be self help dogs eg. for disabled, blind people but if they do show a bit of working nature they end up going to be "mules" so to say lol.

Teething shouldn’t get in the way nor associate with pain, my girl Boni who has finally passed second time round for a drug dog (she fails the protection section but ticks every other box) she was from a male i owned she never associated pain with biting same as her siblings. A dog shouldn’t in anyway state or form let a bit of pain get in the way of doing his job especially for later on in his life. I don’t see how they recommend teething pain to place him off when he may tackle physical problems later in life, along with training would they say that he will be put off when he gets thrown off of the bite sleeve? As i have had a few dogs fall off in awkward ways.

But as i said in my first post America and Europe have different rule/regulations to training generally we don’t really see eye to eye on it thought lol ^^

06/09/10  04:14pm

Schgsd
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2154533

Schutzhund ?

Thnx, That makes alot of sense! So you think I should continue to do rag work ?

06/09/10  07:08pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Schgsd   In reference to Message Id: 2154569

Schutzhund ?

Personally and honestly as someone who does Schutzhund there self i would say keep doing it, i do and have faced no problems what so ever and i’ve worked with a good couple of hundred dogs. Playing tug with him will help "loosen" his baby teeth and will encourage his adult teeth to come through quicker. I wouldn’t play for too long with him though despite being a puppy you don’t want him too loose interest in the rag.

Good luck in your training and all the best with him!

06/09/10  07:16pm

Schgsd
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2154573

Schutzhund ?

Thnx

06/09/10  07:46pm

Schgsd
View Profile

Message To: Schgsd   In reference to Message Id: 2154580

Schutzhund ?

OH, and what harness do you use for protection, and where do you get them from?

06/10/10  10:23pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Schgsd   In reference to Message Id: 2154812

Schutzhund ?

I get all my equipment from here
  • http://www.fordogtrainers.com/ and i use this harness for attack work Link for the like’s of Boni she wears this one due to her not having strong working protection instinct Link just with it being easier on her skin unlike the padded leather.

The site is very good i have gotten everything for the dogs on here harness, long line leash and suits for me it was just under 3 weeks for my parcel to arrive but i did need custom made plus im out in Norway so customs played a part, but they are well made and superb quality! Its best in my eye’s to pay good money for a good quality item than spending alot of money replacing cheap cr@p lol ^^

• 06/11/10  08:16am

Schgsd
    View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2154874

Schutzhund ?

haha. Well thanks.....again!

06/11/10  09:41am

Ghastly
    View Profile

Message To: Schgsd   In reference to Message Id: 2154884

Schutzhund ?

Much welcome, any more question just ask am happy to help ^^