Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Ghastly   Amyers   Ejwebber   Ghastly   Ghastly   Ghastly   Mel Mel   Repfanaticlady29   Petmaniac1223   Ghastly   Repfanaticlady29   Ghastly   Keirax   Repfanaticlady29   Keirax   Ghastly   Repfanaticlady29   Keirax   Repfanaticlady29   Keirax   Repfanaticlady29   Mel Mel  
 Member  Message

Ghastly
View Profile

Is it really???.....

Is this really appealing to people?

Honestly? What makes people breed APBTs to this size? And also the leg width? I don’t get it, wouldn’t you be slightly mortified walking him down the street and he is wobbling side to side because he can’t move his legs properly? Do people really spend a few thousand on APBTs to look like this chap? Why can’t they still be how they are meant to be a medium size dog thats 40 - 60lbs in weight and tall and slender? Whats with this huge appearance they must have? Don’t get me wrong i don’t mind the one’s with a bit of "meat" on the but not in the over exaggerated fashion. Whats everyone elses opinion?

06/05/10  02:57pm

Amyers
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2153393

Is it really???.....

It does make me sick to see bullys looking like this. they look too compact and are so short to the ground. this dog can even breathe, in the pic it looks like hes miserable. it sickens me and thats why people who breed pits like this should b not able to own breeds as such because im pretty sure this is not appealing to any dog owner and it doesnt help APBT. this breed has a bad wrap already, and ppl are making it worse by having them look like this.

06/05/10  03:21pm

Ejwebber
View Profile

Message To: Amyers   In reference to Message Id: 2153401

Is it really???.....

It looks like someone who has been using too many steroids. It sickens me also. This breed will allways be misunderstood and breeders who do this are not helping matters any. I am not experienced with breed standards, but I am sure this is not what they were ever meant to look like. I have read enough and seen enough pictures to know better. Unfortunatley too many people want to be intimidating so they will keep producing these unhealthy looking dogs. Human nature makes me want to puke sometimes.

06/05/10  04:20pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Amyers   In reference to Message Id: 2153401

Is it really???.....

Well this guy is apparently 16" and over 110lbs in weight, if i remember correctly (the breeder website is on the picture). Im sure genuine APBT breeders who breed them for the original standards find this little guy quite repulsive (i mean that in the politest terms possible) i don’t get it i really don’t!! My Milla is a year old on the 29th and weights 17.5lbs she is 15.5" to the withers she has her dads height but her mums build she doesn’t look out of proportion like some do but then again she is a baby and still needs to fill her shape.
But as you say people that breed dogs like that shouldn’t have them at all, it isn’t right, it isn’t natural if it was the breeds creators would have bred them to look like this! I wish people would stop messing with dogs so there appearance matches there reputation!! Just because APBTs have a bad rep do they need a mini body builder look to fill the intimidation a bit more just because the traditional tall and slender 40 - 60lbs build isn’t good enough!!!!!!

06/05/10  04:24pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Ejwebber   In reference to Message Id: 2153413

Is it really???.....

Males are to be 35 - 60lbs (16 - 27kgs) and 18 - 24" to the withers and the ladies are supposed to be 30 - 50 lb (14 - 23kgs) and 18 - 24" to the withers also. These little mini macho body builders are keeping that height or being bred to be 16" to the withers and weighing over 110lbs, so pretty much the weight is at least 3x the correct weight!!

06/05/10  04:29pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Ejwebber   In reference to Message Id: 2153413

Is it really???.....

Prime example of the correct APBT is Petey from the kids show "Our Gang" which most people know as "The Little Rascals" this is the best photo i could find of him on Google.

06/05/10  04:46pm

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2153418

Is it really???.....

I hate those breeders. The dogs are not appealing!

06/06/10  05:39pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2153418

Is it really???.....

People like to call them pocket pits. Owners and breeders of real APBTs call them American Bullies and don’t look kindly towards them and the BYBs that produce them. I love dogs, but all of these unhealthy mutant dogs need to be put down. They have major health problems and can’t even breath properly. Makes me sick. This is what I consider to be an APBT

Everything else is just a Pit Bull. Not saying that’s a bad thing. Just saying too many people call their Pit Bulls APBTs when they’re not. Lady is 60 lbs and 23". Not to mention she’s not papered, so I call her a pet bull since there are lots of people that think Pit Bull is the name of a breed. If people want to own an APBT they need to educate themselves on what it is and what it means.

06/07/10  06:57am

Petmaniac1223
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2153393

Is it really???.....

the color is attractive but nothing else.

06/07/10  09:31am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2153864

Is it really???.....

I agree with everything you have said Rep ^^ i never knew them as "Pocket Pits" we generally call them XXL or XXL Gladiators which some people get confused with the "Gladiator" style but thats just the size thats a bit more meatier lol nothing exaggerated. Yeah Millas mum is the same build as Lady and hopefully Milla will take after her since so far she is bar the height she is 17inch to the shoulder but still growing so keeping the fingers crossed! I myself like the traditional standard for the APBT. I also heard that genuine APBT lovers and breeders NEVER refer to there dogs as Pit bulls but as American Pit Bull Terriers needless to say i am quite proud in saying i am one of those people lol ^^

06/07/10  04:30pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2153864

Is it really???.....

Something I didn’t say before. There are actually healthy, good looking American Bullies out there, but unfortunately they are few and far between. Remmi had a bit of a breathing problem, but the rest of him was very healthy although he (and his breed) could never keep up with an APBT......Especially a game bred one like I posted above. Here’s Remmi as a good example of what these dogs are supposed to look like.

06/08/10  01:23am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2154154

Is it really???.....

Remmi’s build is what we call the "gladiator" build over here to me that is nice looking and is as "beefy" as i would ever go. I think the boys suit the build better than the ladies though the ladies suit the traditional look. Millas dad was the same as Remmi only he had a big white strip down his face and it went right under his belly with white toes and her mum was a traditional build and light brindle all over.

06/08/10  12:08pm

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: Petmaniac1223   In reference to Message Id: 2153891

Is it really???.....

I do not believe that these "monster sized" dogs should be put down for it is not their fault they look like that. Its their owners that make them that size or make them mean. Every dog is born with a good heart their human companions change their behavior and the way they see us by miss treating them. Those poor dogs i hate anyone who would do that to their animals. These dogs do nothing but show us love and compassion. Loyalty threw and threw and the ones that are unlucky enough to get the owners that beat them to fight or make them that size just to have a "cool" looking dog. Just to make an image for themselves have my heart. I believe these poor animals should not be punished for their owners mistakes. These animals can not step up and tell us how they want to be treated. Their owners, the ones who did that to those animals should be the ones to get punished and to make sure they can not harm any animal like that again. By taking in animals we are taking the responsibility to treat these animals with nothing but love and respect, the same we would want to be treated, and if you can not provide a loving care free home for these animals you should not own them. Just like you should not have kids if you can not provide for them.

06/25/10  06:06pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Keirax   In reference to Message Id: 2158429

Is it really???.....

These animals are being punished by just simply existing. I didn’t say anything about them being ugly or mean. They have HORRIBLE health problems and suffer greatly everyday of their lives. THAT is why they should be PTS. No other reason.

06/25/10  06:23pm

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2158435

Is it really???.....

i agree in that since but i was just stating that the owners should be punished as well for these animals have no choice in the matter. Their owners make them that big or that mean and should be punished for putting an innocent life in danger.

06/25/10  06:29pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Keirax   In reference to Message Id: 2158437

Is it really???.....

I agree that the breeder should be punished and in away i think the perspective future owner should be also for supporting the breeder in creating these dogs to be built like this.

06/25/10  06:40pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Keirax   In reference to Message Id: 2158437

Is it really???.....

That’s a nice thought, but since it’s rare to see people charged for outright animal abuse and there are very few laws concerning breeding it won’t happen anytime soon. There needs to be more strict laws when it comes to animals ALL AROUND.

06/25/10  07:21pm

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2158460

Is it really???.....

Rep i can not agree more with you. It is our responsibility to take care of these animals. I know in most cities there are laws where breeders have to put in a request to breed their animals and if that city sees fit its excepted. Unfortunately we have no way of making ALL pet owners obey these laws. People breed just to "make money" and when no one will buy the dogs they throw them out like yesterdays trash. Really all we can do is care for our animals by getting them spayed or neutered, and not breeding for money or just to have puppies and by giving them a loving home to live their lives in. its sad to say but things will never be better the laws may be made but to many break those laws. So we just have to do our part as best as we can for our pets and us.

06/25/10  07:29pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Keirax   In reference to Message Id: 2158466

Is it really???.....

Yep. I’m not holding my breath for better laws, or less irresponsible pet owners. I do all I can for the animals. For the past year and a half I’ve been in the spay & neuter council and this May started volunteering at the humane society. I also network with rescue groups on Facebook which helps a lot more animals get saved from high kill shelters. We can only do so much, but many people can afford to do more.

06/25/10  07:41pm

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2158473

Is it really???.....

so true. I try to volunteer because i just love animals but i get told i can not. I lost my left arm to cancer in 06 and because of that fact im told i can not work with animals of all shapes and sizes. Doesnt stop me though i have recused many animals and have been doing so my whole life even after i lost my arm. I currently have a savannah monitor i saved from bad conditions, a bird 2 rats, a cat and awaiting the adoption papers for a Blue nose Staffordshire Bull Terrier pup. I only wish others would step up and do their part the world would be a better place for all domestic animals.

06/25/10  07:48pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Keirax   In reference to Message Id: 2158476

Is it really???.....

Sorry to hear about your arm and the fact that your local shelter turns away those willing to volunteer. Our humane society is awesome. We have a gentleman that has a deformed arm (he can’t use it at all) that walks the dogs and has been for years. We have a few people with Downs syndrome who help with keeping the blankets and dishes clean. We even have 10 year old children who come in to help with their parents. More shelters need to follow this shelter’s example.

06/25/10  08:17pm

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2158484

Is it really???.....

You sure got that right, just because you lost your arm to cancer doesn’t mean you can’t help. People can judge people how they look instead on how they are inside!!!

06/25/10  08:25pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area