Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Reptictale92   Ghastly   Reptictale92   Mel Mel   Ghastly   Ghastly   Mel Mel   Reptictale92   Mel Mel  
 Member  Message

Reptictale92
View Profile

First ever?

I have an pure breed french mastiff that is pure black with a white chest. I was told though that this breed of dog doesn’t come in black. what do you all think?

06/02/10  02:32pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2152430

First ever?

Dogue de bourdeaux only comes in fawn (light to a copper colour), red (dark red) and any of these two with a white bib (chest) and/or socks. the only black they should really have is a black facial mask but that isn’t really desired. He/she is most definetly not a Dogue de bourdeaux but either a mix or another type... all in all you have been ripped off if it is a mix

06/02/10  03:07pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2152446

First ever?

That is an interesting theory you have there, and yes both parents did have a black face, and yes the parents are pure breed and registered french mastiff. He was the only one that came out solid black, and the rest of the pups were either a dark red or had a red face.

06/03/10  09:19am

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2152619

First ever?

Quote:

This is very interesting, and the person who sold you the dog is at fault.

06/03/10  04:55pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2152619

First ever?

Im not exactly sure then as either way a DDB should not be black in colour any shape or form apart from a mask, to which that wouldn’t cause a pup to turn out fully black only a black mask. I would definitely enquire about it if there has been any other breed in the parents parents litter. I myself have seen me breed two Blue Dobermanns and have a Isabella come out when the last Isabella was in the great grandparents siblings, sometimes genetics can miss a generation or four before popping up again. I myself am certain there has been a DDB mix or another type of mastiff thrown in in the past just with the DDB only "available" and bred to be fawn to a copper red in colour.

06/03/10  05:07pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2152748

First ever?

I was looking across the internet at other Mastini type breeds that appear black in colour and found the Spanish Mastiff aka Alano Mastini. Many of there colours can be passed off as other breeds.

Dogue de bourdeaux w/ black mask:

Fawn Alano Mastini:

Alano Mastini brindle:

Perro de Presa Canario:

Alano Mastini white:

Dogo Argentino:

The Alano come’s in black and tan too that does some what resemble a Rottweiler along with many other colours, they seem to be the "masked man" of the dog world with all there "discuises" haha, but they were a few example for you.

06/03/10  05:55pm

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2152757

First ever?

This is a very interesting puzzle to solve!

06/03/10  06:30pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: Mel Mel   In reference to Message Id: 2152764

First ever?

I was just as confused as you guys are but when I got a chance to talk to the breeders they said they were amazed that it came out pure black, but the parents and grand parenest(the dad was the only one left) was a pure french mastiff. Did tons of reshearch to try to prove that he was not a pure breed I even thought he was mixed with a bull mastiff since they come in brindle, but no look a likes there. He is a little over a year old weighs at 117lbs and has a head size of a french mastiff.

06/04/10  11:59am

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2153028

First ever?

Hmmm, maybe he is a French Mastiff just a rare like, you know, albino.

06/04/10  01:34pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area