Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ammeratsu   FutureVet123   CowgirlPatch   Mel Mel   Jack91493  

Member  Message

Ammeratsu
View Profile

I Need Training Tips

I haven’t been here in a while, so hi to anyone that remembers me. =P

Anyways, my dogs are all doing well. But I’m struggling with Kodiak. For anyone that doesn’t know, I have three dogs. Rikka, a 1.5 year old akita. Ayla, a 1.5 year old lab cross. And Kodiak, a 5 month old huge akita x possible king shepherd. Kodiak is also Rikka’s puppy.

Everything was going well, but recently I’ve been having trouble keeping Kodi under control. He’s so large already(60 pounds at 5 months with paws bigger than his akita mother’s), so he’s going to be massive in every way, and I know he’s going to have to be really well trained or else he’s just an accident waiting to happen.

His main issue is focus. He’s got such short attentionspan that training is difficult. For example, when I go get him after being outside, I try to wait until he’s calm to detach his line, but I can’t keep his attention for long enough. Usually, I stand quietly and ignore him until he stops barking and jumping about. But within a minute, he gets bored and goes to do something else. I can’t have him jumping around like that. He’s way too big for that.

Don’t get me wrong. He’s a really well behaved dog by nature. He’s perfect during car rides, great around kids and other dogs, he walks great on and off leash, and he’s very very willing to learn, but he’s just too excited and headstrong. He would never purposely harm someone, but at this rate, he’s going to be huge, and he could hurt someone.

05/30/10  09:47am

FutureVet123
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2151499

I Need Training Tips

Do you watch It’s Me or the Dog on Animal Planet? Victoria Stilwell has some really good tips, and the one I’ve had the most success with is her training against jumping. It works with a lot of the dogs at the shelter I volunteer at who have jumping problems. You are right about ignoring him. When he starts to jump, turn your back abruptly and act bored, not giving him attention. But when he calms down and sits or lays down, walks away, etc. give him a treat. It will encourage calm behavior. This way you will be able to gain more control over him as he grows up. Right now he’s still a puppy, so you can’t expect him to have much of an attention span. But pick one thing you really want to focus on each week, and spend ten minutes a day trying to correct that behavior (such as jumping, barking, basic obedience, etc.) and when that is solved, move to the next problem, but never forget to review so he doesn’t forget what he’s already learned. For example, we made my dog down, sit, and lie down before we gave her food and she carried that behavior over to other situations. Basic obedience is the best place to start if you haven’t already. When he knows sit, down, stay, drop it, and recall, other commands will become much easier. Also, when he is old enough (usually 6-8 months), see about puppy kindergarten classes or beginning agility/flyball/tracking classes. He needs something constructive to do so he won’t get bored. I hope this helps, good luck with him, and keep us posted!!!
-Peaches and Jeni

05/30/10  10:55am

CowgirlPatch
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2151499

I Need Training Tips

use treats! let him know what a treat is, everytime he does something good give him a treat as a reward and then he will know that when he does something good he will be rewarded, i have five dogs, and one of them just had six puppies,and another one of my dogs had 13 puppies, and i just reward them with treats, and once they know that it makes you happy, they will do things hoping to be rewarded... you can also take it to obedience classes. good luck!

05/30/10  04:52pm

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: CowgirlPatch   In reference to Message Id: 2151568

I Need Training Tips

Try going to to animal planet’s website. That might have some good training tips for you.

05/30/10  06:42pm

Jack91493
View Profile

Message To: Mel Mel   In reference to Message Id: 2151597

I Need Training Tips

sounds like he gets bored fairly easily. So instead of (while having his attention) training, make the training a bit more difficult. For example, Dakota, my 4.5 year old GSD, she would sit no matter what she doing when I said sit, she stopped and sat. Then the next phase was getting her to heel. Once that was complete I wanted her to learn to SIT when I STOPPED walking with me not saying a word eventually. Now, just how do you make training more challenging to a dog with a short attention span? All you gotta do is string together several obedience commands and some interactive training of some kind. Like teaching him high five. or something similar. Another way that just came to mind was make him wait when you feed him. (Not just him but all your dogs). Hold the bowl. Wait about 10-15 seconds, then go to put the bowl down, if any of them move out of the sit/stay position, raise the bowl back up about waist or in your case chest level. repeat until the do not move and still have their focus on you. Not the food. Worked for me and my dogs. And from what I hear a lot of people I told that to say it works fairly well.

10/17/12  09:43am

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area