Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

CAM95   Ghastly   CAM95   Ghastly   CAM95   Ghastly   Mel Mel  
 Member  Message

CAM95
View Profile

Training tips

I need a few pointers in training my 7 month old pit-bull Kiesha. I’ve had her since she was 8 weeks old, and she is honestly a really good dog, except for a few things. She’s good with other dogs (cats are a no-no), loves people, is mostly leash-trained, and is extremely active, however some of her draw-backs are jumping up on people, mouthing, and she loves to play rough, but not necessarily in a good way. she growls and snaps a bit, not enough to cause you major harm, but I can see how a small child could be really intimidated by her on all three things. she is a sweet dog, and wouldn’t knowingly hurt a fly,and I don’t want any of these things to lead to an incident that may lead to a misunderstanding or incident that could lead to someone or her getting injured, or worse. Are there any tips you guys have to help me with her? Thanks in advance!- Cody and Kiesha

05/26/10  07:18pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: CAM95   In reference to Message Id: 2150806

Training tips

Hi there, can i firstly ask how much psyical exercise does she get and what does it exceed in eg. fetch, running or just a walk. Also does Keisha get off leash?

05/26/10  07:30pm

CAM95
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2150809

Training tips

I try to let her get at least an hour of excercise daily, which consists of running, walking, and playing fetch (depending on her cooperation). I let her off the leash as often as possible. I tend to be a little more cautious about letting her off when the neighborhood kids and my little sister are around, especially the younger ones. She just gets so excited it can be hard to get her attention, and if I try to discipline her in any way she seems to think I’m playing. any thoughts?

05/26/10  11:48pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: CAM95   In reference to Message Id: 2150806

Training tips

Hmm, usually aggressive tendencies eg. snapping is a sign of a lack of something weather its psyical or mental stimulation. Would there be anyway you can take her out twice? Evan if it is just for two 30 min walks or three walks one can be 30 mins and the other two 15 mins each? Just with APBTs being a active breed and little athletics of the dog world they do need quite a bit of a exercise regime.
Also i know food is a touchy subject with dog owners but don’t worry im not here to judge but may i ask what she is on? As many many of the cheaper dog brands are filled up with junk that gives a dog loads of energy that they can’t really cope with and they express it in manners that aren’t really appreciated in your or mine’s eyes.
On a walk maybe invest in a little dog backpack? You can get them quite cheap as she is just a tiny baby a little 750ml bottle of water in each side of the back pack will create some weight for her but not enough to damage her bones nor spine, with that little extra luggage it should tire her out. Obviously as she gets older the more weight can be added but never loads always hold in your hands before placing what seems comfortable to you will be good for the dog.

For psyical stimulation:

which is great to give a dog feel as if she/he is doing the most important thing in the world and no one else can top it. With Bullie types they are such eager to please dogs and just want to make you happy things like teaching fetch for example when they come back with the ball or frisbee just fuss and give treats and when Keisha runs back with the thrown item just go "yay Keisha check you out" or something similar i recommend doing it in a quite area despite all dog owners have been down the stupid talk route at some point its still embarrassing!
Taking your dog to the local pets store i do this with Milla (also a APBT) she love’s it, when we go in i’ll buy her a cheap little toy she can carry it around the store and she just struts her stuff wagging her butt as if to say "check what im getting" on the way out ill wrap it up in a carrier bag and tie the bag up tightly and give it back to her yet again she doesn’t know its such a small simple thing but they think they are on top of the world just carrying this little item.
Kong toys are also great with something put in them i place organic peanut butter (not supermarket stuff as its high in salt) getting all that peanut butter out is a huge importance for them and the more they try to lick it out the more it pushes the treat to the top so it just creates more work for them ^^

As for playing rough i wouldn’t allow it if she is biting when she does it over here we would give them a smack not a hard smack and raise our voice the dogs here understand but our countries are different so im not saying do this but if you don’t just pick up the playing toy and walk off hopefully she will learn sooner than later that the second she bites the fun item is getting removed and so are you. I for one don’t agree with making a yelping noise i know many people do but i for one don’t working with Dobermanns i have encountered too many people doing this to them and the Dobe thinks they can walk over them and dominate the human, despite they are two different breeds the training and character in uncanny.

Anyother questions just paste but i hope this can help you out in some way shape or form. Just need to remember with APBTs being terrier type dogs some are very hyper some are mellow as anything i myself have just got to count myself lucky i have one between the two ^^ although she is more mellow than hyper lol

05/27/10  06:06am

CAM95
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2150872

Training tips

As for food, as I’m 15, no job, and no car, so I pretty much get what my mom decides to get me, which is usually Ol’ Roy, but IF it were up to me she’d be on Eukenuba or Purina. Since I’m out of school taking her out multiple times a day isn’t out of the question. let’s just say that getting your mom, or whoever else to walk your normally hyper pup while your at school isn’t really an easy thing to do, plus it’s not their place to. I’ve not seen any of those little back-packs, but I’ll keep my eyes open for them. the fetch really depends on if she brings it back or not. If it’s just us she does really well, but the neighbor hood kids seem to think she’s the eighth wonder of the world and follow her wherever she goes, which is very distracting as you can imagine. as for the pet store, I’d honestly be afraid she would destroy the store, but I’ll give it a shot. As for rough play, I don’t allow it, but as I said previously she seems to think that when I’m disciplining her, I’m trying to play. I too give her a smack (not hard) and raise my voice. Maybe I’m not raising it enough? i think that the yelping thing might work with a little puppy, but an adult dog, not chance (just my opinion). thanks for your help.

05/27/10  10:28am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: CAM95   In reference to Message Id: 2150891

Training tips

Ol’ Roy im not familiar with (we don’t have that here nor the buffalo bill people speak of) Eukanuba i have never had experience with but i know some people that have and swear by it, everything as i know is down to a dog itself just aslong as it isn’t the $5 for 15kg bag thats what i was wanting to know lol ^^

Oh i 100% relate to the parents walking your dog and i agree with you fully that its not there job, your dog your responsibility. I would definitely say take her out loads just remember a tired dog is a happy dog. Any dogs that tired won’t have a destructive tendencies as its used up all the energy it had. Since she doesn’t do fetch well have you tried jogging with her? I get good backpacks off of Ebay so there is worth a good look the one i have is black over black (so it matches the coat) in medium size here is the ebay link Link its quite a good little backpack best measure your Pittie first as Milla is the older traditional style APBT lean and lanky ^^

Yeah kids annoy me when im out also i can understand they want to see the dog but all the time im mean c’mon. I’d recommend trying her with the store evan if you put some treats in your pocket and pop them to her every now and then, the first couple of times you go do expect her to sniff almost everything she comes across obviously with all the people and the animals for sale too you can’t blame her ^^

Personally i would end up raising my voice louder when i raise my voice at the dogs i shout at them as if i am in a argument with another person, i have gotten into many of arguments with people on here about it but its just a culture clash i see it as lol ^^ but when you tell her off make sure she knows about it eg. ears back, lies down and gives the puppy look thats signs of a submissive dog and the "puppy look" is to say to other dogs "ah don’t hurt me im vunerable" then once thats been achieved she knows you have put her in the spot and she is below you. Also to help this when you leave the house and when entering it the HUMAN MUST ALWAYS GO FIRST not the dog YOU are the LEADER the dog looks to you for direction it seems small and silly but in the long run it really does put a dog in its correct ranking below humans.

05/27/10  11:20am

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2150901

Training tips

You guys right long posts! Good job with them.

06/06/10  05:48pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area