Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Oldmischief   Ghastly   FutureVet123   Oldmischief   Repfanaticlady29   Oldmischief   FutureVet123   Ghastly   Oldmischief   Vwvixen02   Oldmischief   Amyers   Oldmischief   Oldmischief   Amyers   Oldmischief   Amyers   Ghastly   Mel Mel   Amyers   Ghastly   Mel Mel   Oldmischief   Mel Mel  
 Member  Message

Oldmischief
View Profile

New Puppy!

Friday night, we drove from PA to Iowa to pick up our new puppy. We arrived home Sunday morning with a fantastic new family member! The poor guy spent his whole life at his breede’rs farm. Had never been on a leash before, near or in a car, up or down stairs, and was being fed Pedigree! Having said all that, he is a fantastic dog! He is smart as a whip and is taking in his new life in stride. We hope to get him into some lure coursing or straight racing, I think he’d really enjoy that!

Mars: Male, 7 month old Silken Windhound

05/24/10  12:41am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Oldmischief   In reference to Message Id: 2150101

New Puppy!

Poor guy but he is a really nice looking dog though! At least he is off the farm and is in a good home now ^^

05/24/10  01:38am

FutureVet123
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2150107

New Puppy!

Awww kudos to you for rescuing him from that situation. Where in Iowa did you get him? I live about 25 mins from Iowa and I know there are a lot of really bad puppy mills all around the northern/northwestern/central parts.
-Peaches and Jeni

05/24/10  07:15pm

Oldmischief
View Profile

Message To: FutureVet123   In reference to Message Id: 2150357

New Puppy!

Around Persia I think... close to the western state line. It wasn’t a puppy mill by any means. Just a breeder with a few too many dogs. All the dogs were wonderfully socialized with people and other dogs, but she should have been a little more proactive in socializing them for "life" outside a farm. He also comes from great genetics with both parents being breed by the founder of the breed and both parents were certified for heart, thyroid and eyes.

05/24/10  08:12pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Oldmischief   In reference to Message Id: 2150101

New Puppy!

He’s very handsome. I’m not familiar with the breed, but it looks like his coat will look much better once he gets on quality kibble. Good luck with him!

05/24/10  08:52pm

Oldmischief
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2150395

New Puppy!

I have yet to run into a person who who has heard of them; they are a pretty rare/newish breed. The pictures don’t do him justice... even so, I can’t wait to see him in a few months when the better quality food and all the love sets in!

More Pics:

Look at that face!

Normally we don’t allow the dogs on the bed, but....

05/24/10  09:20pm

FutureVet123
View Profile

Message To: Oldmischief   In reference to Message Id: 2150406

New Puppy!

Aww that last pic is adorable. It’s been 97 for the past few days and getting hotter, so my cat spends his time sprawled out across the comforter downstairs to escape from the heat haha.
And it’s good to know the situation was good where you got him from too. Good luck with him
-Peaches and Jeni

05/24/10  09:59pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Oldmischief   In reference to Message Id: 2150406

New Puppy!

He is a nice dog his build is like the Greyhound familys. He reminds me of a Saluki/long hair Lurcher but he is lovely especially his markings and face expression such character!! At least the farm wasn’t bad and not a puppy mill but a genuine breeder thats a relief to hear!

05/25/10  06:05am

Oldmischief
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2150455

New Puppy!

As heart breaking as puppy mills are and how i would love to save all those unfortunate dogs, i would never ever help finance what they do by purchasing a dog from them... steal them all, sure maybe :)

He is a sighthound, originated by a breeder of borzoi in Texas. She loved Borzio but they were just so large so she breed them down. The whole group did a really awesome job in selecting healthy well tempered dogs. I have yet to meet an aggressive, non socialized or ill spirited Silken! They were breed to be the ultimate family dog and I feel they have succeeded in their goal and then some! He is couch potato-ish inside and LOVES attention yet will run all day long and play and chase with his friends outside. LOVE IT!

They do have a similar body structure to a saluki and a lot of people have asked me if he was a Saluki pup or a long haired greyhound/ whippet (not many common folk have heard of Borzoi much less know what they look like).

From the creator herself: http://www.silkenwindhound.com/history.html

05/25/10  08:32am

Vwvixen02
View Profile

Message To: Oldmischief   In reference to Message Id: 2150479

New Puppy!

gorgeous dog! and a rescue! Love it congrats to your new family member he looks soo happy!

05/25/10  08:47am

Oldmischief
View Profile

Message To: Vwvixen02   In reference to Message Id: 2150481

New Puppy!

Haha, I can’t help myself... more pics!

Don’t worry, they are just playing

05/31/10  02:23pm

Amyers
View Profile

Message To: Oldmischief   In reference to Message Id: 2151795

New Puppy!

he is a pretty boy! haha i don’t mind the pics! lol when i first saw him he resembled a borzoi(or some other sight-hound) but when i read the first post i have never heard of the breed like most ppl lol but hes a beautiful dog, all of your dogs r! keep the pics comin’!

05/31/10  06:12pm

Oldmischief
View Profile

Message To: Amyers   In reference to Message Id: 2151906

New Puppy!

Thanks! It’s actually really hard to explain to people what his is because common folk don’t know any sight hound other than a Greyhound.... oh well.

05/31/10  06:32pm

Oldmischief
View Profile

Message To: Oldmischief   In reference to Message Id: 2151912

New Puppy!

I was actually browsing at a Petco with all three dogs this weekend and had somebody ask me how much I wanted for him. I almost laughed out loud and said "more than you can afford" but I held my tongue. After spending 6 months searching for him, driving 15 hours just to get him and another 15 back (he slept on my lap most of the drive home) and the fact that he is breed/show quality... you couldn’t pay me enough money to part with him!

Morning cat nap on my pillow:

After a hard day of reorganizing the bedroom:

05/31/10  06:48pm

Amyers
View Profile

Message To: Oldmischief   In reference to Message Id: 2151920

New Puppy!

yeah i know how it is when people dont know dog breeds. but o well is right theres nothing we can do lol but awww haha soooo cute! lol i wouldnt give him up for anything, so u better not either! hes show quality? are u gonna start showing him?

05/31/10  09:53pm

Oldmischief
View Profile

Message To: Amyers   In reference to Message Id: 2152008

New Puppy!

I have him on a pet contract, otherwise he would have been double the money, so he will be neutered at a year and a half. I probably could show him in the puppy class, even though he will most likely be taller than breed standards full grown, but showing isn’t very fun for the dogs, I was thinking of straight racing or lure coursing since it is in their blood and they love doing it. I take pictures for a some of their events so I know a lot of the clubs in the area.

05/31/10  10:07pm

Amyers
View Profile

Message To: Oldmischief   In reference to Message Id: 2152013

New Puppy!

oh okay, i get it now, racing does sound like fun for him. i think he would enjoy that very much!

05/31/10  10:35pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Amyers   In reference to Message Id: 2152019

New Puppy!

Racing sounds fun ^^ ashame you couldn’t show him though :( im surprised people haven’t heard of Borzoi here they are common as muck ^^ mind the expression but more people own them than anyother sight dog

06/01/10  06:02am

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2152072

New Puppy!

He’s so cute!

06/01/10  09:04am

Amyers
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2152072

New Puppy!

haha i know right ghastly? haha nice expression btw ;) ive never seen a borzoi in person tho, ive seen grey hounds. haha there pretty big compared to a dachshund

06/02/10  12:47am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Amyers   In reference to Message Id: 2152308

New Puppy!

Haha cheers ^^ I’ll be honest i don’t really like the look of Borzoi dogs same for the long coated Lurchers i am more partial to the short coat however, i quite like the long coat on the Windhound. It suits it better than the Borzoi by far the Borzoi is like a weird underfed Afghan Hound o.O

06/02/10  05:30am

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2152324

New Puppy!

I’ve only seen a golden retriever, a poodle and a beagle! [in person!]

06/02/10  10:04am

Oldmischief
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2152324

New Puppy!

I really wasnt a fan of borzoi until i saw them in action. Sight hounds are a special breed that are not for everyone in personality and looks. I like them because they have such neat breed histories and they are independent but still loving (not a fan of needy/entitled dogs). Originally I didnt like the anorexic look either but after working as a vet tech i discovered that obese and over weight dogs looked far worse.

06/02/10  07:32pm

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: Oldmischief   In reference to Message Id: 2152511

New Puppy!

Yeah, your correct.

06/02/10  08:44pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area