Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

KrazyKelli   Mel Mel   Ghastly   Mel Mel   Monster545   RepticZ   Ghastly   Mel Mel   Ghastly   Mel Mel   QueenBeez   KrazyKelli   Ghastly  
 Member  Message

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Uses for Dog Fur

This is a generally silly thread. I repeat, thread of silliness and fun information. All replies can be informational or just for fun.

I need to do a major groom of my corgi again. It usually happens twice a year, but more than once in a while he will get these huge sheddy clumps of fur on his butt that need to be brushed out. Why, I probably brush six puppies out of him. And more recently I’ve had to do it on the deck since his fur can get everywhere on the carpet inside.

But then the neighbors complain that his fur turns both of our yards tannish orange and their dogs want to eat it and what can you do? So I’ve had to put his fur in a plastic bag and dispose of it responsibly.

I’m sure there’s something that people can do with dog fur! What uses for dog fur are there out in the world?

I mean, could it be used to stop that oil problem in the Gulf of Mexico? It’s not like we have some severe lack of it or it’s slow growing like people hair.

I’ve tried putting it in a container outside and encouraging birds to make nests out of it, but all it does is scare the squirrels away and become a wet, moppy mess when it rains. =P

05/21/10  11:20pm

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2149595

Uses for Dog Fur

I don’t think there are any uses for dog fur. If there are any dog fur uses, for the dogs, I’m so sorry about you being shaved!

05/22/10  08:46am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Mel Mel   In reference to Message Id: 2149651

Uses for Dog Fur

I know some place’s use dog hair and turn it into jumpers o.O in the winter i use dog fur for my giant rabbits bedding and when i before my Chinchilla passed away i would use the rabbits fur for her bed (bunny fur was softer on her soft skin than the dogs) my parents use there dog hair and the cat hair (the own two persian and a black british all show cats) for bird bedding in the winter seasons.

05/22/10  11:27am

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2149676

Uses for Dog Fur

Ewe, how gross.

05/22/10  06:09pm

Monster545
View Profile

Message To: Mel Mel   In reference to Message Id: 2149744

Uses for Dog Fur

Well i have two dogs that shed like crazy, and I get either wire mesh, or a hair net, and put the dog hair in it, close it up (trust me birds can still get to it) and I hand it on my back pourch. I first put it in a tubaware with a lid, soak it in dishwasher soap with water, and then hang it to dry and the birds use it after it doesnt smell like dog anymore.

05/22/10  07:21pm

RepticZ
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2149595

Uses for Dog Fur

the oil problem is real bad.... but i dont know if dog hair will soak it up! Maybe you can brush your dog collect all the hair and make it into a fluffy pillow for your doggy to sleep on. or maybe make a whole bunch of little tiny ones for people who bring home a puppy. Maybe the smell of another doggy stuffed into a pillow will make the puppy feel safe and not cry at night.

05/23/10  01:02am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: RepticZ   In reference to Message Id: 2149829

Uses for Dog Fur

Thats a real good idea i think Reptic evan for people that breed long hair dogs give mum a good brush and put her fur in some material pillow case for the puppy!

05/23/10  05:08am

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2149845

Uses for Dog Fur

Okay, I don’t feel so creeped now that I know dogs shed fur, and we’re not shaving them and hurting them. But that would be good for a puppy.

05/23/10  05:32pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Mel Mel   In reference to Message Id: 2149967

Uses for Dog Fur

^ I am confused

05/23/10  05:33pm

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2149968

Uses for Dog Fur

Me to, idk.

06/06/10  05:45pm

QueenBeez
View Profile

Message To: Mel Mel   In reference to Message Id: 2153733

Uses for Dog Fur

Troll

06/07/10  08:31am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: QueenBeez   In reference to Message Id: 2153875

Uses for Dog Fur

Ahahaha...

Anyway, back on topic. I heard that people made purses out of pet fur now. I’ll have to find a link... Something about cat fur, specifically... But I can see dog fur being used, too. There are some very fluffy dogs out there.

I’m going to take the advice above and clean some of Yuki’s fur in his next shedding, then buy a bird nesting spiral to put it in.

I ended up giving up and taking Yuki to Petsmart to get a full brush&clean a week ago. They told me that he plugged up their skin four times before they got it all off of him. He now looks very slick and is no longer throwing out tufts. =D It’s only a matter of time before that all comes back XD

06/07/10  09:59am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2153902

Uses for Dog Fur

Queenbee:

Lol

Kelli:

Its the same with my mums two Persians despite getting a daily groom in the morning by the evening or the next morning they just look so ragged and the fur is never too far in coming out loads too, needless to say im surprised they aren’t like the Sphinx cat lol

06/07/10  04:33pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area