Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

ShadowAceD   Ghastly   ShadowAceD   Ghastly   ShadowAceD   Ghastly   ShadowAceD   Ghastly   ShadowAceD   Ghastly   ShadowAceD   Ghastly   ShadowAceD   Monster545   Mel Mel   Ghastly   Mel Mel   ShadowAceD   Ghastly   Mel Mel   Petmaniac1223   Mel Mel   Petmaniac1223  
 Member  Message

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Found a Puppy - Bulldog Mix

Well, I got a call from my boss today that he was tossing some garbage out when he heard a puppy whining near the dumpster. He looked around for about five minutes and found this little girl alone under some trash. He knew I was a sucker for animals and asked me if I wanted to come get her.

So, I decided to go pick her up because I didn’t want her ending up being picked up by animal control since Bay County is a high kill area (not the shelter’s fault). Anyway, I was a bit shocked to realize this puppy is only about seven weeks old. Most of her puppy teeth haven’t even fully cut through her gums yet. Judging by her coat and face I’d say she’s either an American or Olde English Bulldog mix. Not sure with what, but she postures like a pointer and her little tail tends to curl towards her back and judging by her paws and her current size at seven weeks, she is going to be pretty big.

I took her to a humane society to get her shots done so I can safely bring her into my home. I am not sure what we are going to do with her, I already have three dogs and an array of other animals. I am hoping I can find someone we know to take her in. I am a bit annoyed though because I am almost positive she was dumped. She had no fleas or ticks on her and hardly any dirt to speak of. Also, when I put her in a crate to do some chores, she did not whine at all. She just sat there, even if I left the room and she could not see me anymore.

Anyway, here she is. I’m calling her "puppy" to avoid getting too attached.

05/19/10  02:10pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2148770

Oh what a cutie!! Disgusting that she was dumped though makes you wonder why since as you say she wasn’t bothered by being in a cage whilst you done some housework therefore someone has obviously taken time to get her adjusted to a cage let alone making sure her health is in good condition then just to dump her?!?! Kinda weird to me!! All in all hats off to your boss for finding her and for you to take her in!! ^^

05/19/10  03:11pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2148792

Yeah, I’ve stopped trying to understand people. It just gives me a headache.

I was wrong with my original estimate of her size though. Apparently, she weighs ten pounds at seven weeks. She’s going to be a big girl which further leads me to believe she is an American Bulldog mix. The vet said possibly Pit, but I just don’t see Pit in her.

I’ll be keeping her until she is six months old and can be fixed unless someone I know will take her. I refuse to adopt her out to someone I do not know unaltered. I will be doing vet references, I.D. copies and home checks before she goes anyway though.

05/20/10  11:50am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2149000

Im starting to think about trying not to understand people myself it really does bother me!

Would he think APBT due to her markings? I know we have Am. Bulldogs here but they only ever have that marking if they have a Staffordshire bull terrier in them, despite being part Am. Bull which are very large if she is half Am. Pit bull would she have the "gladiator" type in her you know the one’s that are just freaks of nature (sorry if you like those type i prefere the traditional tall and lean appearance).

I would give you a hug if i could your last paragraph has made my day (i have had a horrid day) but you never know you may keeps her ;p (hint hint) plus its good that you will spay her as there are SO many people that think that breeding a large "dangerous" female is good for money and the whole "letting a female have one litter is good for her" i just don’t understand! But if i were you i would end up keeping her i can’t let things go not evan my Dobes nor my baby snakes (when i have them) but you gotta keep us updated on the little gem!! Oh and a name is a must!! She doesn’t look like a "puppy" ;p

05/20/10  12:01pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2149001

Many people assume a dog with a brindle coat is likely an APBT mix. Then again, these are the same people that think American Bulldogs, American Staffordshire Terriers and APBT are the same dog. They certainly are not.

While I know Pit Bulls do display brindle coloring, her face and stature do not seem to denote Pit Bull to me. Then again, finding enough variations in mutts consisting of Amstaffs, Am. Bulldogs or APBTs is nearly impossible without knowing the parents. However, in what I have seen of the three above mentioned dogs, the American Bulldogs tend to have the "saggiest" skin in puppies. Hers is quite "saggy" especially around her face. Her build is also fairly modest so, no, no gladiator style Pit which I find annoying and are ridiculous abundant out here.

Of course, this is all speculation without knowing the sire or dame.

I will like to note regardless of if she does have Pit Bull in her or not, I will never report it to a veterinarian or anyone else. My land lord will have a fit. Not only because it is a "bully breed" but because it’s the forth dog I have and the second that has not had a deposit placed on it. I will also not be naming her anything besides "Puppy". Lol If anyone does, it will be my husband, but we really are not in a situation to keep her, as much as I would like to.

It may happen, but it won’t be the intention.

These are links to pics of puppies in her age range:
Am. Staff -Link
Pit Bull - Link
Am. Bulldog- Link

05/20/10  12:22pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2149010

What about the DNA breed show tests you can get? I’ve never used one of these and only found out about them on here ^^ but if they are reliable proberly worth giving it a shot?

I take it by your last paragraph you are not allowed APBTs in your state? Im not allowed them here either but Milla is quite safe since we live in the middle of no-where and despite being registered as a full bred Staffordshire bull terrier the vets are idiotic to see she is a full APBT and think that APBTs are the stocky out of proportion gladiator one’s you see haha ^^

Picture wise i see the Am. Stafford and obviously the Am. Bulldog and comparing her to a APBT pup i don’t see it in her

05/20/10  01:39pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2149033

They are not banned, but I rent property that is owned by someone that does not want Pit Bulls on it. I actually do not know if there is a statewide ban of Pit Bulls aywhere. County, Parish or City specific I have heard of, but not an entire state.

As for DNA testing, that’s overly expensive and not really worth the effort honestly. I’ve claimed her to be a Boxer/Lab mix (both of these dogs can be brindle, though it’s more rare in Labradors) anyway and that is what is on her vet records. The vet did not neccessarily agree, but did not dispute it either. Our conversation of what she was came after I had already filled out the paper work to register her there.

In those pics I posted, the Pit Bull was the least likely candidate to me, if not just for the facial features than definitely the ears. They are too large in proportion to her head to Pit.

05/20/10  03:05pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2149048

Oh right i understand is it all pit bull type dogs they don’t allow? Sorry for the q’s i just get confused by American BSL and which dogs are allowed in certain place’s as here if a dog isn’t allowed in a certain place it isn’t allowed in the country due to its breed and the one’s that are are allowed everywhere and anywhere the only time we aren’t allowed dogs in rented houses are if the landlord doesn’t want any pets at all.

I have never seen nor heard of a brindle Labrador. I suppose if you are not keeping her then there is no point in fussing about her breed make up with the vet nor anyone else.

Yeah the second i clicked on the APBT pup it was a quick back up! Haha you should see Milla’s ears they are like elephant ears there bloody huge! If big ears mean a big head hers will be like a boulder!!

05/20/10  03:11pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2149051

American "Democracy" is a joke; that’s the short, simple and clean explaination. I do not feel like offending people, not that I care, I just don’t want the headache.

Brindle Labradors are called "mismarked" and automatically disqualified from AKC and other registers for competition. On rare occassions, Lab can also come out with Doberman and Rottie markings. People tend to mistaken them for mutts, but they are purebred. I do worry over her mix a bit because rehoming a puppy that appears to be a Pit Mix is difficult, especially with the complications of renting or leasing a home. Claiming her as the Lab/Boxer will help with that and also keep her from being stigmatized.

This pups ears are pretty big, more similiar to both the Amstaff and the Am. Bulldog. Her face is definitely not a Pit face though.

05/20/10  11:46pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2149245

Don’t worry i tend to offend people accidently, they fail to see that Europeans are outspoken and prefere to let people know what we think than hide our opinions but many don’t like this but we are just honest people ^^

Well as they say you learn something new everyday! I suppose if you don’t really know Labs (like me) its just golden, black and chocolate ^^ my parents have a chocolate one called Cassie when she molts she tends to do it in the Dobermann/Rott marking way so her body is dark chocolate but the muzzle and legs are lighter its quite cool but in general she is just a dark chocolate colour all over.

I think its really good of you to give her a "new" breed just to help her along in life not many people i know would want to do that, they would just see about saying that she is a Am. Bull mix

05/21/10  04:24am

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2149267

Yeah, I know. Many people may think I am misrepresenting the dog and that could cause problems, but I assure you, a Boxer or a Lab puppy can be just as much frustration as a "Bully Breed". I do not personally like Labs, but many people do. I will keep her long enough to understand her personality and get some basic obedience in her. She’s actually doing incredibly well with house breaking. I use a crate only part time to help make her understand sometimes she will be left alone, but it will be okay and to let her know she should know eliminate where she eats.

But ... last night I did put her in my bed when I came home because it was late and I did not want to wake up my husband (I sleep in the spare room sometimes because I have insomnia and need what sleep I can get ... he snores really badly ...). She actually stayed with me in the bed for seven hours and never messed anyway. She woke me up at five to let me know she wanted out so I took her out. As soon as she leaves the door, she elimnates and then runs off to play for a bit, so she knows what outside is for. She has only had maybe three accidents since I brought her home.

She is also a dominant dog. She will not submit to my "Alpha" even when he rolls her, so she is going to need a strong leader, not that that is wholly surprising. I am not worried though, I have a lot of experience with many different types of dogs.

And just for the heck of it ...
Brindle Lab - Link
Dobie Marked Lab - Link
Boxador (this is actually what people call them) - Link

05/21/10  07:06am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2149288

I for one don’t think you are misrepresenting her but as you say a Lab and Boxer dog can be high maintenance too! I will second the Lab part with Cassie what a time my folks had with her and training she is a dominant dog despite being friendly towards others but if a dog decides to start on her she won’t hold back no matter what size or age it is. As for Boxers there is a guy in the next village across from me his is as high strung and hard headed as you can ever imagine!

The girl obviously knows something and has either been taught or the person that owned her mum kept the area extremely clean, times like this you just wish they could talk!

I have to say i like the Brindle labrador they Dobe marked one not so much ^^ aren’t the "Boxadors" a "designer" name for Boxer Labrador mix? Thats whats being sold in Europe by that name

05/21/10  11:39am

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2149348

Lol Yeah, she’s got balls, metaphorically speaking. Earlier this morning, I brought her into the bedroom to wake up my husband and my two boys were outside. The German Shepherd, the Alpha, started barking. She did not recognize it was him and started barking back aggressively with her hackles up. It was hilarious.

I don’t know if I would consider Boxador a designer dog. The only reason being that designer dogs are, generally, specifically bred and almost always look a certain way. I’ve never seen a Boxer/Lab look the same. I think it’s just a name given to it for the heck of it and nothing more, honestly.

I have a Boxer. He’s not high maintainence, but he is stupid. I say that out of love. He’s just a dumb dog, but Boxers are not known for being the brightest crayon in the box.

I think the puppy has learned a lot from her mother as well. I am actually thinking she was with her up until the point I found her. One of the major reasons for this (aside from her cleanliness in the cage) she does not mind being scruffed. I am not against scruffing a puppy and I really do not know why anyone is. The mother scruffs the puppy to transport and scold it as necessary. Puppies that are pulled from the mother too early have the tendency to not be okay with being scruffed, they either scream or struggle out of fear. This puppy just falls still like she is supposed to and does not make a sound.

05/21/10  02:16pm

Monster545
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2149389

I myself done like people, and Thank you for taking her in! I would have done the same, but im only 15 and mom and dad already get mad at me for leving food and water out for stray dogs that happen to wander in my neighborhood, so..But I do see some but not much pit in her, she looks like an amreican bull dog/pit bull/pointer mix. She will grow to be huge and a very smart dog, I sugest start working with her early so shell know some basic comands, and hats off to you for getting her spayed before you give her to someone. Its people like you that make us animal rescuers day. Thank you.

05/21/10  04:56pm

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: Monster545   In reference to Message Id: 2149454

He’s so cute!

05/21/10  05:41pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2149389

I don’t have anything against scruffing a dog but then again in Europe training dogs is usually done in quite a harsh manner and to see people like Caesar Milan and that Victoria Stilwell just ignore the bad and praise the good. WELL we let the dog know when its been bad and also when its been good those "dog trainers" say psyical punishment eg. smacking (not abuse just to clear) makes a dog into a scared, nervous and a ticking time bomb needless to say i think they should come over here the only dogs that are like that have been abused others are the most stable things you could meet. I think its a touchy subject with some people but everyone has there views weather they like them or not.

Its great to see that puppy has come along way and especially that she found a good foster mummy too! ^^

05/22/10  11:39am

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2149684

Again, he’s so cute!

05/22/10  06:12pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Mel Mel   In reference to Message Id: 2149746

Yes, it is a touchy subject for most, though I do mostly believe in "To each his own", but I will add my own opinion on the matter.

I’m not much for Cesar Milan, but I do use some of the training techniques from Victoria Stilwell. The most physical I ever get with my dogs is a quick smack on the nose and that in itself is rare. Scruffing, to me, is not physical correction, it’s natural correction. If a puppy is being too violent with the litter mates and the mother tires of it, she either mouths the puppy on the muzzle of removes him by the scruff. If a puppy wanders further than it is supposed to, the mother scruffs it and removes it. If a dominant dog is trying to force another dog into submission, they will often seize the scruff whether it is above the neck or under it and force the other animal to the ground. This is just part of the way they learn.

My personal opinion, based on a dog’s logic and thought process consistingof "If I do this, this happens, but I don’t really know why", is that correcting the bad behavior physically can create an animal that only obeys out of fear, and in some instances, create a dog that may or may not harm a person, but some dogs that have never been struck in their entire life have attacked people. But, what people need to remember is that a dog is a dog and you can never accurately know what that dog is going to do, no matter how much they would like to think they do. You never know what an animal is going to do, not just because they are "lesser", but because they are just that, animals. Humans are the same way. We are mammals, mammals are animals and I can rarely ever account for the dumb things people do and even rarer is my ability to predict it.

I think the best for instance I can think of is I knew a girl who had a Labrador that killed a neighbor’s cat. Her response was that she had never known her dog to be a killer and was shocked it had happened. All I told her was that the dog was doing what a dog does. They are predators and while some may be more predisposed to high prey drives than others, any dog has the potential to kill or maim.

Any animal can garner an unhealthy negative association with things and sometimes that does happen to does who are improperly trained with physical methods. Is there a proper way to do it? Sure. It’s how military, police and personal protection dogs are trained. Will I do it? No. Why? Because I do not require those types of dogs. Do I agree with choke, inverted spiked, pronged or shock collars? No. Why? Because I have successfully trained even the most "difficult" and "bull headed" dogs without them. Does that mean I think no one should use them? No. I do not agree with them, but some people do.

05/23/10  08:47am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2149861

See natural correction is what we like to do but yet it is still frowned upon and i just don’t get it?! My boss has two golden Labs they are molly coddled loads her boy dog went for Milla when she was roughly 20 weeks i smacked his nose (nothing harder than you would give a toddler on the hand) and moved him from the room. I got told off for a measly tap on his nose and removing him although i corrected in saying if it was Milla that was almost 2 years and they were roughly around 20 weeks and it was my dog that went for him or his sister i would be frowned upon and they would want my dog destroyed as she is a APBT and they judge her by her breed. And yet today her dogs killed a baby rabbit?! Were as Milla doesn’t blink twice at a wild rabbit, shrew, lemming etc as i have socialized her well and despite she lives with a giant rabbit i still wouldn’t trust her alone as anything can happen as they say there’s a first time for everything.
And when Mila was 14 weeks she was attacked and almost killed by a Collie dog people’s reaction oh i couldn’t see a Collie doing that to another dog?! Oh no but if it was Milla or any of the workers im sure they would highly believe it.
I get annoyed with people like my boss who thins because they have a well loved breed it doesn’t need as much training as my dogs do, yet any of my working dogs past and present wouldn’t evan look at something or just run off to catch and kill something heck the dogs i train and Milla will do as you say on first command her dogs you need to repeat yourself a few times before the boy comes back were as the girl she does as she pleases i just get annoyed to me a dog is a dog regardless of size, breed characteristics and temperament they need to be taught the same!!

05/23/10  02:05pm

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2149911

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, so cute.

06/06/10  05:44pm

Petmaniac1223
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2148770

:’(