Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Repfanaticlady29   Ghastly   Saucier   Repfanaticlady29   Ghastly   Repfanaticlady29   Ghastly   Saucier   Repfanaticlady29   Ghastly   Reptilover1   Repfanaticlady29   Ghastly   Saucier   Repfanaticlady29   Mel Mel   Repfanaticlady29   Mel Mel   RaeBeas   Mel Mel   Amyers   Oldmischief   Repfanaticlady29   Ghastly   Mel Mel   Repfanaticlady29   Mel Mel   Ghastly   Mel Mel   Repfanaticlady29  
Pages 1 2 Next
 Member  Message

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

I’m volunteering at the humane society.....

and took a few pictures of my favorite dogs while we were out walking.
This is Beetle. She’s a beautiful, compact Pit with lots of love to give.

She’d be an awesome agility dog, or running companion for somebody. She’s got mad hops also. lol

This is DD. She’s kind of a couch potato, but she literally bounces off the walls in her kennel. lol! Once she gets outside she just saunters around smelling everything. She reminds me a lot of my Pit. Nothing really phases her.

I have so much fun walking all the dogs there. Can’t wait to go back and get more pics of more of my favorite dogs. Anyway, hope you enjoyed looking. I’ll more than likely be updating this thread frequently.

05/13/10  04:41pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2147277

Ah they are beautiful i like red bullie breeds alot, Beetle has the same face as Milla i wish them both the best for a forever home!!

05/13/10  05:52pm

Saucier
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2147290

They are really cute little girls, hopefully they find homes.
Do a lot of people adopt pit bulls in your area?

05/13/10  08:04pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Saucier   In reference to Message Id: 2147331

About 90% of the dogs at that shelter are Pit Bulls. The euthanasia rate is 4-6%, so most of the dogs do get adopted. I don’t think I could work at a shelter with a high kill rate. It’d break my heart. There’s a shelter about 45 minutes south of us that kills all Pit Bulls coming through its doors. I can’t even step foot in there.

The area we live in is Navy town, so these sailors (mostly men ages 18-35) get Pit Bulls and then when they get their orders to transfer somewhere else they dump the poor dogs at the shelter. It’s ridiculous and sad that people don’t think more of animals than something to keep them amused for a short time.

05/13/10  10:07pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2147369

I don’t know how people can just get a dog then dump it regardless of its type. Do people bring all the APBTs to the shelter that you are volunteering at instead of take them down the road? All i can say is thank god i live in a place were only severely ill dogs get euthanized!

05/14/10  07:00am

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2147435

I’m sure people take them to the shelter south of us also. If they post on craigslist that a Pit needs a new home or it’s going to the shelter I’ll drive down there, pick it up and bring it to our shelter. Can’t save them all though. The shelter I volunteer at only euthanizes the animals that are very sick, or have severe behavioral problems. They don’t need to euthanize to make room. In fact, They just took in 12 dogs from California. They were all small breed dogs, so they got adopted within 72 hours of being there. They all got spayed/neutered yesterday and will be going to their new homes today. Our volunteer coordinator will be happy for that. Her office is right next to the room where all those yappy dogs were. lol

05/14/10  07:27am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2147441

Thats good to hear that you all go out your way to save as many dogs as you can! As they save you save one life, you save the world entire. All in all i think the shelter you are at does a great thing more than what one’s here do especially my local one they just let dogs go to anyone and get peoples hopes up in adopting them then shoot them down because the more dogs they have the more funds they get and more people feel bad for them despite they raise a lot to extend there 30 cell block but they don’t!! Needless to say i don’t like there attitude

05/14/10  07:39am

Saucier
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2147443

Well that sounds like a good shelter, theres only one in my city and it kills anything and evrything.
They put down a puppy because he had diarhia they didn’t even test him to see if anything was wrong.

I volunteered there for quite a long time ,but I couldn’t stay at a place that was supposed to help animals when all they really did was kill

05/14/10  11:43am

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2147443

Quote:

my local one they just let dogs go to anyone and get peoples hopes up in adopting them then shoot them down because the more dogs they have the more funds they get and more people feel bad for them despite they raise a lot to extend there 30 cell block but they don’t!! Needless to say i don’t like there attitude

Here’s a little about our shelter Link. It’s not run by the state, county, or city, so they don’t get funding. They get donations. They just did a complete overhaul of the employees and have dropped the euthanasia rate from 24-26% last year to 4-6% right now, so they’re getting better and better. I’ve got more shifts Monday and Tuesday, so expect more pictures.

05/14/10  02:04pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2147510

Your shelter sounds good maybe come over here and teach my local a thing or two!!

05/16/10  07:36am

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2147870

Saucier - it sounds like with yours they just don’t want to bother. Too sad :(

05/17/10  02:08am

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2147870

I was there again today, but forgot my camera, so pictures will have to wait until tomorrow. DD and Beetle are still there. I’ll keep everybody updated on the dogs I put up here. Thanks again for looking.

05/17/10  06:20pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2148317

If i could i would take Beetle in a instant but i can’t :( all the best for these two ladies and all the other poochies!!

05/18/10  06:02am

Saucier
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2148446

Ya I doubt anyone their really cares about the animals, its unfortunate that we only have one shelter in my area. They have put down dogs for some of the stupidest reasons I have ever heard of it’s sickening

05/20/10  03:09pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2148446

DD got adopted this week. Beetle is still there. I got pictures of a few more dogs.
This is Riley. He’s a pretty cool dog. Still kinda young, but he definitely has great potential to be an awesome dog.

This is Gunnar. He’s still BIG TIME in his puppy stage. He’s almost a year old, but due to having NO training he is just crazy. This is the only not blurry picture I got of him.

I wanted to take this little guy home with me so bad. He was brought in the day before I volunteered. I took him out last so I could work with him. He had not relieved himself in over 24 hours because he was so scared. It took me carrying him out and into the building and 20 minutes outside just to get him to do his business. He LOVED being held. Every time I picked him up he’d nestle his head under my chin and let out a huge sigh. I hope his owners come to get him soon.

05/28/10  11:33pm

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2151269

They are the cutest! And also great pics! I love them!

05/29/10  08:52am

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Mel Mel   In reference to Message Id: 2151309

Thank you. Here’s some more dogs I walked today. Happy Memorial Day BTW!
This is Chandler. He was found in the mountains by some hikers. He’s a very shy guy, but such a sweetheart. And he loves to give kisses.

I have been trying to catch this guy for the past 2 months. He has been wandering my neighborhood getting his meals from trash cans. He would completely avoid everybody when he was out wandering the streets. Wouldn’t even stop for treats or other dogs. I finally managed to track and follow him back to his house yesterday. His owners moved and left him behind. As soon as I went up to the door of the house and knocked his demeanor completely changed. He came up to me with his butt wiggling and licked my hands. I don’t know how somebody could abandon such a sweet dog. I would have kept him if I didn’t already have 4 dogs. If anybody was wondering he’s an American Bully. I decided to name him Remington. He’s sure to find a great home soon.

Remmi all dressed up for Memorial Day.

05/31/10  07:11pm

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2151932

Love the pics and happy memmorial day!

05/31/10  07:41pm

RaeBeas
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2151932

I love the pictures! I work at a Veterinary Clinic and I take pictures of the animals all of the time. Even though we are not a shelter, people have the tendency to dump animals at our doorstep. They usually stay with us until they find a home. Almost everyone that works in the clinic I do has taken home an animal from there, myself included. Keep the pictures coming, they are great!

05/31/10  07:43pm

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: RaeBeas   In reference to Message Id: 2151954

Yes mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooore pics please! lol:]

05/31/10  07:48pm

Amyers
View Profile

Message To: Mel Mel   In reference to Message Id: 2151959

all the dogs are cutee i really like Chandlers colors on his muzzle and face! haha more pics like mel mel and raebeas said!!

05/31/10  09:58pm

Oldmischief
View Profile

Message To: Amyers   In reference to Message Id: 2152010

Chandlers is a handsome boy, if I didn’t already have a small zoo living at my house I’d take him. I hope he finds a good home!

05/31/10  10:13pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: RaeBeas   In reference to Message Id: 2151954

My next volunteer day is Thursday, so I’ll post more pics then. I’ve adopted 2 dogs from the shelter and have a total of 4, so I am not in the market for more pets. I’m at my limit. That’s why I can volunteer there now. lol

05/31/10  11:14pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2152022

Ah poor Remmi!! He’s such a nice looking dog and he seems to be in good condition by the photos too. Glad to hear DD got adopted! I wish i was in America im a sucker for Bull types

06/01/10  06:05am

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2152073

I love pics! Can’t wait for thursday!

06/01/10  08:45am

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2152073

Yes, Remmi got along pretty well tending for himself......thank goodness. Every time I saw him he was eating something from a trash can. Poor guy had to get his food from somewhere. I’m trying to get one of my friends to adopt him. If that happens he’ll be staying with me for a while. Nothing is guaranteed yet. We’ll just have to wait and see.

06/01/10  09:28am

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2152097

Well, Remmi is cute for sure!

06/01/10  09:37am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2152022

Fingers crossed for Remmington then ^^ hope your friend is able to get him. Poor chap eating trash i can only imagine the horrors! I also don’t understand how people can get a pet then just dump it or in this case not take it with them when they move... are pets really that much of a hassle?

06/01/10  10:22am

Mel Mel
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2152120

No, pets are no hassle at all.

06/01/10  12:35pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Mel Mel   In reference to Message Id: 2152162

Chandler and the little black & tan stray got adopted. Remmi’s owners came to get him which really angers that Animal Control let them after all the info I gave them. I’ll be keeping him if I find him wandering the streets again. It was raining today, so I only got 2 pictures before I feared for my phone getting rain damage.
Here’s Beetle again because she’s just so pretty. She’ll be even prettier when she puts some weight on.

This is Haylie. She’s a hound mix. Poor girl is kennel defensive, so it’s hard to get her adopted out. Eventually somebody will take the time to see that she’s a sweetheart.

Here’s her petfinder page: Link.

06/03/10  08:03pm
Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area