Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Baylor13   ShadowAceD   Baylor13   LizaB2008   Baylor13   LizaB2008   Ghastly   Baylor13   Ghastly   Baylor13   Ghastly   Baylor13   Ghastly   LizaB2008   LizaB2008   Baylor13   ShadowAceD   Repfanaticlady29   LizaB2008  
 Member  Message

Baylor13
View Profile

Puppy update and GREAT NEWS!!

We are keeping the runt from the litter. Precious has done great with them and they will all be going to good homes at 8 weeks and I have a puppy contract written up for all the new owner. Basically saying if at any age they cannot keep the dog they must bring him back, contact info, calls from the vets making sure the puppy shots have all been given and at least one full class of obedience school. If these are not done I will take the puppy back as they are not able to care for them properly.
Anyways we are keeping little Charm!! His mom (Precious) and "aunt" (Penelope) get along very well with him and have started teaching him boundaries when playing. He is also starting on his potty training and doing very well. He eats with his siblings then they all go out for awhile to play and potty. Since he is staying he gets a little more attention lol. He gets to play with the big dogs during the day and when I’m on the computer or watching TV he sleeps in my lap. He is also starting some basic training like sit, watch me and come, the last one is his favorite as he gets to run full force to me, big game for him. Everyone got their first shots Friday and all are doing great and developing right on track. The biggest is 7.5 lbs and Charm the smallest is only 6 lbs. Pics will be up soon just need to find the time to shrink them and load them on.

04/26/10  04:06pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2143569

Good to hear everything is going well.

I do have a question though. Why does your contract state someone has to take their dog to obedience school? I would not acquire a dog from anyone if that was a stipulation only because I know how to train my own dogs in standard and advanced obedience.

04/27/10  05:09pm

Baylor13
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2143789

If a person with your knowledge was getting one of them then no they would not have to go through the class. But the people I am selling the puppies to do not have this background. Good question though and thanks for asking, it helps clear things up for others reading this. Both my girls are CGC registered and I think training them is the best thing in the world. Charm will be taught at home as I have been through the classes with both big dogs and like you I know how to train him without paying for the class but those that don’t have this knowledge I believe should go through it.

04/27/10  09:17pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2143845

People should take their dogs through some sort of training, but it’s not the breeders responsibility to tell them what they have to do with their dog. I don’t believe in telling people what they can and cannot do with THEIR dog that THEY purchased for lots of THEIR money. I don’t even approve of the breeders that for people to sign spay/neuter contracts. You cannot tell someone what they can do with THEIR property. That would be like someone selling you a car and making you sign a contract stating that you must take one year of driving in the snow classes....it’s un neccassary. It offends people when they go to buy a puppy and the breeder is on their back about how they must raise THEIR new puppy. An example for that would be like you having a child and your mother being on your back about what school to send it to, how to feed it, how to dress it...After someone buys a puppy off of a breeder, it is THEIR kid/dog. Shouldn’t they be aloud to raise the puppy as they please as long as they are providing for it? I agree that if anything should happen to where they must get rid of the puppy they should contact you and let you know so you can take it back and try to find it a new home, but people shouldn’t have to follow someone else’s guidelines to raising their puppy.

04/28/10  08:45am

Baylor13
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2143924

All the owners knew about the contract before they saw the puppies and what was on it. If they had issues about it they could go elsewhere. I simply want the best for the puppies and with boxers having a bad rap in my communtiy it is best for them to go to one puppy class. One of the main pet stores offers a free puppy class to get owners on the right track. It is basically the same agreement I signed when I got Precious and thought it was a good idea to ensure the dogs well being. I am sorry you do not agree with it but the owners of the puppies have all agreed to it and are happy to abide by it. I am trying to be a responsible breeder and make sure the puppies grow up to be good dogs, not ones that cannot be controlled.

04/28/10  10:56am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2143954

Not saying it’s a bad idea, chill. Just explaining that it does offend people when breeders tell them how they are going to raise their puppy. I know that if I went to a breeder to get a puppy and they started telling me I have to do this and that and this and that, not only am I going to go elsewhere to get a puppy but I’m going to leave them feeling extreamly retarted about it. I train, restrain, groom, vaccinate, etc my own dog. I don’t need some breeder telling me how to take care of the animal I just spent hundreds of dollars on. Inexperianced, new owners do need to be educated on a few things. Thats where you have them fill out applications with simple questions based on their knowedge of the breed so that you as the breeder know what they know and what they need to know.

04/28/10  06:10pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2144085

Well done for keeping him ^^ good to hear that Precious has gotten along well!

I have to admit im happy to hear about the contract and what is on it but at the same time it would be annoying being told what to do with your pet, but i guess if Boxes have a bad image where you stay it does make more sense. I myself lay down harsh rules and if they are not followed upon i personally remove the dog from the situation call it harsh but *pfft* last thing i need is another Ramsay case!
the thing that annoys me is i would LOVE to show dogs in the big fancy dog shows just a normal pet not a working one but yet you get the breeders that won’t allow you, that annoys me >.<; but hey.

All in all good luck with Charm and his lil buddies

04/28/10  06:38pm

Baylor13
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2144085

This was already explained to the other person who posted saying they train their own dogs. IF any of the people getting one of my puppies did things on their own then fine and dandy, but none of these people do. And I was chill, I simply backed up my point with evidence as to why I was having them sign the contract. I would think people would be greatful that I am doing this and not just giving my puppies away to anyone who wanted one. All of my posts on here seem to get bashed from at least one person, this really turns people off. And I dont see how a breeder being turned down because of the contract would feel "retarted" about it. I wouldnt at all, in fact I would glady sell the puppy to someone else who would abide by the contract.

04/28/10  06:49pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2144091

Im glad to hear of the contract as i stated it shows that you care for the Boxer pups welfare once they are out of your home and shows you aren’t some BYB looking to make a quick few hundred bucks.

04/28/10  06:53pm

Baylor13
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2144093

Thanks Ghastly!! I feel if you breed a dog they are still your responsibility even after they go to homes. I just got an email from a deaf lady wanting one for her at the house. Cherokee will probably go there as he is more calm than Sunny. The temperaments of the mom, dad and grandparents were all good but any dog can have issues and with them being on the top 10 dangerous dog lists they are looked down at around my town. I just need to make sure the puppies I chose to breed are not a nuisance to the town.

04/28/10  07:09pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2144096

I definitely agree. The way i see it if the pups are going to become a nuisance in your hometown then it is bought back to the person(s) that bred the litter therefore the adult dogs are judged too no matter if the pup acts the way it does due to its new owner. . . thats how things work here anyway not sure about your home, but i relate to the "dangerous" doggie types 100%
Will Cherokee become a self helper dog for the deaf woman or is she just looking for a companion?

04/28/10  07:27pm

Baylor13
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2144102

She wont be getting him, she emailed me back asking me to ship him. I wont do that. I must meet the person and see the home first.

04/28/10  07:30pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2144103

Good on you alot of problems can happen when shipping a dog from it getting loaded on the wrong plane/ship, death, getting lost in either airport/docking port, can claim dog never arrived to get refund and the list goes on really, i have met people buying a dog from me but when it comes to shipping it is tracked so they can’t claim crap back as i know best lol ^^. Plus you don’t know what the people are really like either they can say one thing and be a complete other. Either way we all should play it safe sell and purchase from local breeders, sellers & shelters.

04/28/10  07:36pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2144105

Once again, I did not say the contract was not a good idea. I have contracts myself for my puppies. I just have a littlbe bit different approach with them, thats all. I completely agree with contracts. I just have my potential puppy adopters fill out a little application with questions about the breed, proper care, how often vaccinations should be administered, what to do in certain cases, etc. I do this to find out what their knowledge is and what they need to learn. I base their individual contracts off of that application. I’m not going to have everybody sign the same contract when their knowledge and experiance with the breed is all different. I’m not going to have someone who has owned Great Danes since they were kids and knows everything about them sign a contract that states they must take their dog to blah blah or do blah blah with their new puppy. On the other hand, I am not going to let someone with lack of knowledge and experiance with the breed just take a puppy without being further educated on them.

You would be surprised at how much research these new owners do and how much fun they have learning more about their breed. In a since I am educating them for the future. These people leave knowing that Danes slober, that they will rip furniture to pieces if not crate trained, that the come with heavy health risks, etc. My puppies also come with a puppy package that has their shot record, first collar, feeding guide, raw hide, and a rope bone, with that they recieve a bag of dog food. My new owners leave satisfied. That is what breeding is about.

04/28/10  09:27pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2144130

I mean wtf, did you forget I was the one backing you up on breeding your boxer?? I’m not even a fan of the breed, they are way to high strung for me. My Rottweiler is just like me, can be energetic when she wants to, but loves to just chill and hang out to.

Breeding and raising puppies is a full time job, it takes someone patient and stron to do it. You are a great person for assuring the best future for your puppies, I was simply giving my opinion on the making people take their dogs to training. I trained Zoe on my own and everyone comments on how well behaved she is, they even ask me to refer them my trainer. I love my dog, I love what I do, I wouldn’t just discriminate on you for no reason, just to be a b@#$%

04/28/10  09:37pm

Baylor13
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2144132

I never said you were bashing me, at all, just saying it seems to happen by someone for something on my boxer posts here. the contract I wrote seems to cover what the new puppy owners need and also has a boxer discription and some books I have and love on boxers that i think would be great to have. The pups are getting a small bag of their puppy food and a bag of toys and treats to get them going when they leave. Also all the owners brought over a blanket for the puppies so I can get the scent of the litter mates and Precious, seems to help them adjust at the new home.

04/28/10  09:53pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2144134

For the record, I wasn’t trying to start a debate. I was just asking a question.

04/28/10  11:30pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2144134

Congrats on the new pup and finding good owners for the rest. Since YOU bred the dogs that produced the puppies YOU can put whatever you like in the contracts. Same goes for other breeders. As you said, none of the new owners had a problem with the contract, so who cares what the people on here say. You’re not obligated to answer/ reply to every post on your thread.

Looking forward to pictures.

04/29/10  05:59am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2144169

I’m glad your new owners all agreed to contract, that they had no problems. All I did was tell you what I do for my contracts. No big deal. It sounds like you have everything set and ready to go. As I said before, breeding a dog and raising puppies is a full time job, not a job everyone could do. Kudos for doing everything you are doing. I didn’t mean to turn this into something it wasn’t supposed to. Rediculous that people have to be so sensitive to suggestions made. Oh well. Good idea with the scent blanket. I bough them each a little stuffed toy and let them play with it for the last few weeks they were here and sent that with them. The puppies are getting so big, the harliquin male already weighs a wopping 50 lbs. Watching them grow is awsome. Another reason I try to form friendships and trust with my new owners, because they DO keep in contact and send pictures. That is the most beneficial part of this whole thing, getting to watch them grow. The one male form the first litter is 195 lbs at 1 1/2 old and the harliquin female is 180 lbs at only 1 1/2. These pups are getting so much bigger then their parents, even breed standard for american Danes. Sabath, the 195 lb male is 36’’ at the shoulder and isn’t even done growing. Anyways, enough about my puppies. Hopefully you new owners keep in contact with you and don’t just take a puppy.

04/29/10  08:56am

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area