Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Saucier   Sivester   Saucier   Sivester   Saucier   LizaB2008   Saucier   LizaB2008   KrazyKelli   Saucier  
 Member  Message

Saucier
View Profile

Helping my overweight dog?

So far I have started to cut back her food and not give any table scraps unless it’s like a veggie.
I have HAVE to start walking her which is basically how her weight gain started.(my 3 dogs are extremely crazy on leash, which I am working on)Also she has some problems with her back leg, so she can’t go for long walks. That would be another reason she has to lose weight. Shes a lab x golden retriever. So it’s pretty common for the breeds in her to have hip problems. Thats the main reason I want her to lose weight shes still young enough where if she loses weight she could be heathly with no ill effects from her excess poundage.

Basically I just wanted to see if everything I am doing is the right way to help her?
Thanks in advance

04/18/10  07:51pm

Sivester
View Profile

Message To: Saucier   In reference to Message Id: 2141593

Well next to reducing the amount of food, the type of food you give is just as important... What food do you currently offer.. And the back leg issue might get better as the weight comes off. And short walks are a start, one in the early morning and another at night, and every few days increase the distance a little. It will be noticable just takes time.. But it’s alot like you and me.. You can reduce you’re food intake. But if what you eat is bad food it won’t matter

04/19/10  12:36am

Saucier
View Profile

Message To: Sivester   In reference to Message Id: 2141648

Right now she is on purina one large breed, and I have started to take her for short walks throughout the day she has already lost weight since I started reducing her food, so we are on the right track

04/19/10  03:55pm

Sivester
View Profile

Message To: Saucier   In reference to Message Id: 2141781

I use purina pro plan, its a little better then purina one. Purina one isn’t the worse food, nor the best. Switching to a healthier food wouldn’t hurt.

04/19/10  05:37pm

Saucier
View Profile

Message To: Sivester   In reference to Message Id: 2141812

Ah ya I thought it was the other way around must have gotten the names mixed up, but ya I will have to check to see if anyone sells it around here I haven’t seen it before maybe because I wasn’t looking.

haha well thanks for the help

04/19/10  06:48pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Saucier   In reference to Message Id: 2141825

Purina Pro Plan is sold at almost all pet supplies plus, pet smart and petco. I would also recommend a dog that has low to no grain for an overweight dog, simply because the grain is usually what causes all of the weight gain. I have feed Purina One, it did cause Zoe to start gaining weight like crazy, which I am a complete spazoid about. She also had alot of runny bowl movements. I switched her to Wellness for large breed dogs, which she would not eat at first, but loves now. He weight has improved, coat is glossy and muscle tone is perfect. Canidae has a no grain formula that I would recommend as well.

As far as the pulling you on a leash, have you tried a gentle leader or Halti? They are great for those canine companions that can’t seem to leave any slack on the leash. Zoe isn’t much of a puller, but the Danes are and the gentle leader is GREAT!! I recommend them to anyone with a dog that walks their owner. I take Zoe for a 30 minute walk in the early morning and at night. She also wrestles with the Danes for an hour or so, thats really good excersize.

Skinny Minny

04/19/10  08:31pm

Saucier
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2141847

Ya I am gonna be switching to one of those two because harnesses are useless all they do is give her more power,lol and leashes she just chokes herself to death.

I have to start looking into other foods because she has horrble ear infections(which the vet said is caused from something in her food)they are so bad she has wounds on her ears from scratching and they smell so horrible.(yeast infection)the only thing that has helped so far was anitbiotics.

but I am hoping a switch of foods will help that aswell, cause the pills haven’t helped at all.

04/20/10  12:32am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Saucier   In reference to Message Id: 2141898

Food change usually is your best option when it comes to a food allergy. Wellness is a really good food to switch to when it comes to that because it’s all natural.

04/20/10  08:42am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2141932

I had to reduce my corgi’s weight a while back. he was supposed to be under 30 lbs, he was 54. His front leg kept popping out. I tried exercise, restricting the diet, no longer giving table scraps, and it helped a little... but only marginally.

What did it for me was a corgi breeder that told me to switch the dog food to one with only chicken and rice. Nothing else. She prescribed to me specifically a brand called "Sensible Choice: Low Calorie chicken and rice". It only comes in a 35 lb bag and I have to special order it from the pet store (I order it from Pet Supplies Plus, but I’m sure you can order it from petco and petsmart as well).

The breeder told me to only give him half a cup, twice a day. However that’s for a corgi. I’m sure your vet can give you the proper amount for a larger dog. It was important to feed twice a day so I didn’t screw up my dog’s digestive tract, and to feed the good wholesome chicken and rice food because it’s still nutritious, and doesn’t have all that extra crap.

I swear, after switching the food he instantly started shedding pounds like crazy. He’s now a nice stable 30 lbs in under a year.

For some reason only this specific food did it for me, and I’m sticking with it until Yuki dies of old age. I tried other diet foods before. Purina, ScienceDiet, Authority, few others. My dog hated half of them, and none of them did anything. Once I switched to the Sensible Choice, it working miraculously. He loves it. Though I’m sure there are other brands out there. Go to your store and ask for something with only chicken and rice in it, and little else, then aim for the one that says ’reduced calorie’ or ’reduced fat’ on the label. You should get two to four brands off the bat.

For treats, I only give my dog baby carrots. They work wonders. I also give him the occasional frozen broccoli, green bean, or ice cube as well to mix things up. Just... mainly stick to the baby carrots.

04/20/10  11:14am

Saucier
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2141961

Thanks for the help, hopefully I can find some better foods, my town is really weird for not having some very popular brands of food. It’s really annoying I have to order my chinchilla food online because all the pet stores only sell sun seed. And we don’t have any pet smarts or other large chain stores here.

04/20/10  03:23pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area