Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Sivester   Ghastly   Sivester   HerpsinIN   Sivester   Sivester   HerpsinIN   Sivester   Ghastly   Sivester   Sivester   Ghastly   Sivester  
 Member  Message

Sivester
View Profile

Apollos trip to the vet

Apollo got bit about a month ago by one of our other Danes.. Hera just her standard putting him in his place. He ended up with a knot on his snout. Was doing well then started swelling pretty bad. Took him to the vet they lanced it and gave him anti biotics. He did t respond well, he became heavily lethargic, excesive drooling, and nueroligical head tremors. I personly think they overdosed, because hey gave him the same mg as my 105lb Dane when she was sick. And he’s had cephalexin before. Took him off and he’s making progress, no tremors but slow moving still

04/17/10  01:32pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Sivester   In reference to Message Id: 2141287

Apollos trip to the vet

Poor Apollo :( i wish him all the best!!

I reckon vets can do mistakes at times when Milla was almost killed by a Collie when she was 17 weeks she wasn’t exactly responsive but the vet gave her a double dose!! I told her she is only 17 weeks so therefore still a baby but her excuse was she is a huge breed of dog and needs a double dose no no no i argued with her needless to say i have been arguing with them since xmas about Boni’s ears they get terribly dry in the canal and drops don’t work well they want to uncrop her?! now tell me how do you uncrop a cropped Dobermann????

04/17/10  01:37pm

Sivester
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2141289

Apollos trip to the vet

THat was my point to the vet, yeah he is over 65 lbs but he’s 4.5 months not an adult 65lbs totaly different

04/17/10  04:06pm

HerpsinIN
View Profile

Message To: Sivester   In reference to Message Id: 2141328

Apollos trip to the vet

Well, those really arent the side effects of cephalexin. Maybe apollo is allergic to it? Just out of curiousity, what was the dosage (how many mg) is/was he on?

04/17/10  04:43pm

Sivester
View Profile

Message To: HerpsinIN   In reference to Message Id: 2141334

Apollos trip to the vet

They aren’t the typical side affects, but they are the rarest side effects. He was at 1000 mg every 12 hours.. Which was the same dosage for my adult Dane, 1000 mg every 12 hrs... Does t. Make sense to me to prescride the same meds for a 3 year old and a 4.5 month old.

04/17/10  05:41pm

Sivester
View Profile

Message To: Sivester   In reference to Message Id: 2141343

Apollos trip to the vet

As for being alergic, I doubt it. Only becuase he’s been on cephalxin before, at a much much lower dosage. He was a little smaller, 37lbs at 250mg and had no issue.. Then At 65Lbs was bumped to 1000, I’m no vet but it doesn’t really add up to me

04/17/10  05:45pm

HerpsinIN
View Profile

Message To: Sivester   In reference to Message Id: 2141345

Apollos trip to the vet

The vast majority of medications have different ranges that can be used. Typically Cephalexin can be given up to 15mg per #, so I would say your dog was given largest "safe" amount for his weight.

So I would say your vet properly dosed your dog, and while I do agree vets can make mistakes, always remember, they usually do know what they are doing. Also, I do hope you stopped the meds with the help of your vet as the last thing you want to do is just stop an antibiotic due to the bacteria becoming resistant!

04/17/10  06:27pm

Sivester
View Profile

Message To: HerpsinIN   In reference to Message Id: 2141352

Apollos trip to the vet

Yeah we stopped, he’s made progress. No mre tremors, and excesive drooling. Just weak in the legs and his apetite has increased. What doesn’t make sense is he had no reaction at 250mg at a lighter weight, but he had the most severe reaction at a higher dose at more weight.. He has a recheck in 48 hours.

04/17/10  08:47pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Sivester   In reference to Message Id: 2141376

Apollos trip to the vet

If he was still on it i would have cut it down to 500/600mgs that is what a adult Dobe gets but for a dog of Apollos size it is more safer for his age than 1000mgs! I still cant get over 1000mgs for a pup when it is a adults measurements some vets make you laugh they really do!!

04/18/10  07:00am

Sivester
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2141439

Apollos trip to the vet

Its sad really, because what if my dog ends up having permanent damage to his legs? Its day 3 and he still can’t get up on his own, and has a hard time walking. He can’t even get up and walk over to the food dish and water dish when he wants to, let alone be his normal playful self.

04/18/10  10:24am

Sivester
View Profile

Message To: HerpsinIN   In reference to Message Id: 2141334

Apollos trip to the vet

Quote:

Well, those really arent the side effects of cephalexin.

I am willing to bet differently...

Symptoms of overdose in some cases mirror those of an allergic reaction and range from diarrhea and vomiting to more serious conditions including seizures, jaundice, kidney and liver failure, blood disorders and nervous system damage.

04/18/10  10:30am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Sivester   In reference to Message Id: 2141467

Apollos trip to the vet

If it does Apollo any permanent damage over here you can sue the surgery along with the vet that seen to your dog/cat/small animal sue them personally and they will also loose there job with a possibility they aren’t allowed to work in surgerys again depending on how much damage they have caused. I hope for yours and especially Apollos sake he doesn’t have long term damage!!!

04/18/10  10:33am

Sivester
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2141470

Apollos trip to the vet

Guess we’ll have to wait and see what his progress is, wether its permenant or just something that’ll strengthen over time.

04/18/10  10:36am

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area