Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Ammeratsu   HerpsinIN   LizaB2008   KrazyKelli   HerpsinIN   Ammeratsu  
 Member  Message

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Snake Bite Vaccines?

Apparently we have rattlesnakes up here(never seen anything more dangerous than a bull snake), and my vet has rattlesnake bite vaccines available. Sounds.... weird.

Is it something I should think about?

04/12/10  09:24pm

HerpsinIN
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2140172

Snake Bite Vaccines?

From what I now about it, it is a fairly safe vaccine. However, what is the long term effect of vaccinating and over vaccinating? I would look at the likelihood of the dog getting bitten. I know there are rattlesnakes in my state, but not where I am (northern part). I would not get the vaccine. Also, look up and see what the number of reported snake bite in both dogs and humans in your state or area. If the risk is high, i would look into it more. If not, i would personally skip it.

04/12/10  10:00pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: HerpsinIN   In reference to Message Id: 2140182

Snake Bite Vaccines?

They suggested the same thing for Zoe, I live in the northern area of ohio where there are hardly any snakes, let alone rattlers. I rejected it.

04/13/10  09:11am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2140172

Snake Bite Vaccines?

Honestly, if there isn’t some special all-purpose rattlesnake ’bite vaccine’ for humans yet, then one would do little or nothing for dogs. Sounds like a scam to make money or test something iffy. Ie, if you get bitten by a rattler and are sent to the hospital for anti-venom, then there’s a 100% chance that your dog will still have to go to a vet to get anti-venom if it gets bitten, no matter what ’vaccine’ it’s given.

04/13/10  09:58am

HerpsinIN
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2140264

Snake Bite Vaccines?

Even the manufacturer of the vaccine states that this isnt a 100% prevention. What it does is minimizes the amount of anti-venom needed after the bite and also slows down the reaction because the dog already has some antibodies/resistance to the venom because of the vaccine. If your dog does get bite while having the vaccine, it is supposed to decrease the reaction, decrease the amount of antivenom, which will in turn increase the chance for survival and decrease the vet bills.

I think there is a place and use for a vaccine like this. If I was in an area with a high population of rattlesnakes and my dog was out in their habitat on a routine (such as a working dog being worked daily), then I would consider it. I would treat it like I would the Lyme vaccine. I dont feel my dogs are at risk, so I am not going to get them vaccinated for it.

04/13/10  08:24pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: HerpsinIN   In reference to Message Id: 2140392

Snake Bite Vaccines?

I think I’ll skip it. I mean, I’ve never heard anyone up here talk about problems with snakes, and I have never seen a rattle snake up here. Just bull snakes... and tiger salamanders.

Plus, once we get that fence up, it’ll be pretty unlikely that we won’t notice a snake in it. It’s going to be pretty secure.

04/13/10  10:15pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area