Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

KrazyKelli   LizaB2008   KrazyKelli   LizaB2008  
 Member  Message

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Yuki Protected Me

This story is more or less over-exaggerated. So take it with a grain of salt.

Two days ago I was alone in my home working on the computer when my corgi, Yukito, started going off at the door. He has these specific barks that tells me what to expect. This one, a few woofs then a wooooooof howl-type sound, told me that someone was at or near the front door. I waited, then went down there. He looked at me, then the door, then ran over to the garage door for some reason. I checked the time. No, was too early for anyone else to come home... And it was pretty late at night, so no one in their right mind would be walking.

So I looked out the front door/window... Nothing. I started getting worried. The dog was still acting like someone was out there.

Anti-theft Kelli came to life as I instantly turned on main lights in the house and the front and back lights. I locked the doors immediately and checked the windows. Closed curtains. The dog stayed alert until someone came home. I told them about it. And he found a large-sized foot print on the front driveway, going from my front window to right next to my garage.

The next day he found a beer can near the mailbox and we surmised that someone got drunk, had to piss, and went the quickest way to the woods out back.

But man was it scary.

Yesterday? No problem. It was t-storming like mad. Same with most of today. Tonight I took Yuki out at 9 and two large men were walking suspiciously late. While I stood there I heard them talk about weed and my Kelli senses started tingling again. Yuki meanwhile, watching them, slowly lowered his back leg then hid behind me. Lot of good he is outside... I walked back inside with him quickly.

Maybe I’m just paranoid. I don’t think Yukito is going to protect me if someone does break in. Hopefully his bravado at the door will deter any would-be thieves instead. I’ve decided that, simply because of that, I’m going to leave him out of his crate at nights for a while.

04/06/10  11:12pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2138944

Yuki Protected Me

I bet if it came down to someone actually trying to come in your home to harm you, Yuki would have no problems protecting you. Corgi’s aren’t really a breed known for their protective nature, but when I was younger I had a Corgi/Shelti mix and she was very protective of us. I guess it all depends on the dog itslef.

Have you concidered buying a more protective breed like a shepherd or doberman? Or possibly adopting?

04/07/10  08:40am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2138999

Yuki Protected Me

I have no room in my home for a large or active breed of dog like a German shepherd. There’s no freaking way. Besides, the neighbors - who are police - have three. I’m sure if some jerk set off my alarm, they would set those dogs loose in a heartbeat.

The corgi is the perfect dog for my living arrangements, space, and time. And you’re probably right, he would probably grab someone who was trying to hurt me. But from what I’ve seen, he’s terrified of tall men.

04/07/10  09:45am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2139001

Yuki Protected Me

You’d be surprised at what dogs do when they feel their pack memebers are in danger.....the fear goes away.

04/07/10  11:45am

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area