Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

LizaB2008   Ammeratsu   LizaB2008   Ammeratsu   HerpsinIN   LizaB2008   Ammeratsu   Baylor13   LizaB2008   Baylor13   LizaB2008   Baylor13   LizaB2008   Ghastly   LizaB2008   Baylor13   LizaB2008  
 Member  Message

LizaB2008
View Profile

Over protective???

So I went home for the weekend to see my family over break. My moms firend little boy was staying with us. Well, he was sitting out side with me and Zoe (Zoe has become very fond of this kid) and some lady came to close to him, zoe about took her head off. Then on easter we were at my aunts, the baby fell in a hole and Zoe broke her chain running over the the baby to make sure she was ok. Chain made for a BIG dog.

04/05/10  05:56pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2138645

Over protective???

Sounds to me like you’ve got a loyal guard dog. =D I love dogs like that.

04/05/10  08:31pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2138687

Over protective???

I love that she is protective, I really do. I just feel sorry for anyone the messes with anyone she cares about.

04/05/10  08:36pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2138688

Over protective???

Serves them right as far as I’m concerned. xP

04/05/10  09:20pm

HerpsinIN
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2138702

Over protective???

hmm... I guess I dont see the good thing with an over protective dog? Dont take this the wrong way, but if she was truly socialized and taught her manners, then i dont think she would be this way. You can say that they were breed for protection, its her natural instinct, etc, but I find that crap. If she is used for protection (PROPERLY) then yes, try to bring that side of her out. If not, then she should know when to be protective and when not to be. My dog has a strong herding instinct, she is a breed that was bred to herd (as well as many other things). When I first got her at the age of 2, she was constantly trying to herd the cat, which included nipping. That has all stopped now that she knows its not tolerated and her attention and energy has been redirected towards something else.
An animal is an animal no matter what, but I can see a lawsuit coming your way if you dont put a stop to it soon. IMO, biting (be it aggression or protection) should NOT be a laughing matter!

04/05/10  10:24pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: HerpsinIN   In reference to Message Id: 2138718

Over protective???

I never said biting was a laughing matter!! Zoe is still young, she is still learning! She is for protection, and Rottweilers were not bred to gaurd either. They were bred to drove cattle. I didn’t allow Zoe to do itm nor did I laugh when she did do it. All dogs have a protective nature, it’s not something you can just correct away. I like the fact that Zoe is protective. I don’t have to worry about anyone breaking in or trying to harm me. Zoe’s protective nature with children, in my eyes, is a trait to amire. The kids can be outside playing and I don’t have to worry so much about them being snatched or harmed in any way. Zoe only acts protective on our land, no where else. She is socialized.

04/05/10  10:38pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2138720

Over protective???

I don’t think biting is a laughing matter either. That’s not what I was implying. I just think it’s fine if she bites someone that breaks in.

04/06/10  10:50am

Baylor13
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2138795

Over protective???

Pelelope (my youngest boxer)’s brother bit a neighbor after she picked up the owners baby. The baby was born 2 weeks before the puppies and Max(the brother) is very protective of her. The owner had both the dog and baby out and a neighbor came over and picked up the baby and she started crying. Well Max ran over and growled at first so she tried to shoo him away and he bit her stomach. He is now deemed dangerous and the owners wont take him out of the back yard now. I know you wont do this but some would.
Anyways I would say work with her. My old boxer was aggressive when she was around me so I had to start the training. I would sit her next to me and give random people treats to give to her. If she growled or anything they would walk off and she would not get anything. If she greeted them well she got the treat and some petting. It took a few weeks but she was great after that. Zoe is a great dog tho and very beautiful, you did a great job with her Lisa. Some dogs just have that protectiveness that needs to be calmed down. lol

04/06/10  12:46pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2138818

Over protective???

Her protective nature doesn’t go beyond our property, her biting strangers isn’t an issue for me. He being protective isn’t an issue for me either. I am proud of her for telling that lady to back off of the kid, for all I know, she could have been trying to snatch him and was using seeing the dog as an excuse. I’d much rather Zoe be weary of people she doesn’t know on my property then run up to them wagging her nubb. Unlike some people, I can feel safe with kids playing by themselves out in the yard with Zoe around, Zoe won’t let anyone touch them. That lady should have known better to approach a large dog with a child.

As for the baby falling and crying, and Zoe breaking her collar to go make sure she was ok......what was wrong with that?? What is she was crying because someone was trying to snatch her out of the front yard while no one was looking? Zoe was only doing her job, that is what I have trained her to do. Do I expect her to bite someone who is trying to be friendly......? No, I don’t, but Zoe doesn’t leave the yard and I have beware of dog signs posted where everyone can see them, so if they come in my yard without my permission (the way Zoe has been taught is right) and get bitten, that is their fault entirely and I cannot get sued for it. I know my Ohio dog laws, I know how my dog should be trained.

As for the boxer biting the neighbor because they picked up the baby, the owner should have known better to let a stranger to the dog hold the weakest member of the pack. That doesn’t fly in normal dog packs, it won’t fly in a family. The dog felt that person was a threat to the baby, so it defended the baby. It’s not the dogs fault, it’s the owners.

04/06/10  06:01pm

Baylor13
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2138878

Over protective???

Oh trust me I would rather dogs be protective then not. My old boxer was my best friend and I could go anywhere with her and not worry. The only place she was taught not to be like that was with people I knew and in pet stores. Zoe had every right to protect the little boy as did Max with the baby. Like you said dogs are pack members and they will protect those in their pack. I was not sure if Zoe knew the lady or not, if she was not a known member of the pack then it was good for her to protect the boy. Sorry if I offended you, I did not mean to. Just simply sharing my experience. The laws are different here in Texas. If a dog bites anyone, even if they are breaking into your house they can sue you and the dog will be deemed dangerous and possibly put down.

04/06/10  11:20pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2138949

Over protective???

Here, if you have signs up stating to beware of the dog where people can read them, and they proceed to enter your property, and the dog bites, there is nothing they can do. Zoe knows who is ok to come in and who is not, she remembers faces and smells. It had been 6 months since she has seen my grandmother and she knew who she was as soon as she saw her.

Zoe is a good dog, she does her job and knows her place well. I love her because she gives me piece of mind at night. I have no worries of anyone breaking in and harming me, because she is there to protect me. I will eventually have a male and female Doberman, but for now, Zoe gives me comfort. Bad things happened to me when I was young, and I have nightmares about them that keep me up all night, scared they might happen again. Not will Zoe, when she is next to me one the floor, all those bad dreams go away. I can sleep peacefully with no worries. That is what dogs are for. I love my dog, I don’t need children, she is my child.

04/06/10  11:35pm

Baylor13
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2138952

Over protective???

I feel the same with my girls. I too had some hard times as a kid and my girls help with it. If I dont have them with me I cant sleep well and wont go out of the room unless someone is there and I have a light on. In college its hard being away from them but i go home every weekend and my girls are there for me.

I wish we had better laws in Texas but we dont and i dont think they will change anytime soon.

04/07/10  12:01am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2138955

Over protective???

Thats why I would never live in Texas......although I have thought about Arizona

04/07/10  08:37am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2138997

Over protective???

Ah that is so cute to hear about her checking on the little one ^^
I find that Rotts are more protective over children when people are around its just something natural to them all really.

As for the dog biting well here if you are broken into and your dog defends your property your dog will be destroyed no arguement about it! I myself am facing a law firm for when i got broken into at the beginning of the year and the men killed Corey and Stan, despite they killed my dogs (what they are being charged for) despite i have a lisence to hold/train working dogs i am still getting a fine/sue/charge because my dogs were restraining the men by there jacket sleeve the courts are aware that working dogs are not trained to bite but are trained to hold onto the clothing item eg. sleeve, trouser/pant leg i am still to be fined. stupid but thats are law here your dog is better off being euthanized by actually biting the people then restrainng them by there clothes!!

04/07/10  12:14pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2139030

Over protective???

If that were the case the burglers would be burried in my backyard :) They don’t have the right to kill my dog when they intruded onto my property. They deserved to be bitten, they broke the law.

04/07/10  02:40pm

Baylor13
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2139069

Over protective???

It’s funny a person can kill the burgler as long as they are on the property but if the dog bites they are dangerous and should be killed. Stupid laws

04/07/10  03:46pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2139080

Over protective???

The burgler’s family can sue the person that shot their family member, even if they were burglerizing your home. The USA is to far gone with the being humane to humans crap. If they break in, they deserve to be bitten or shot, thats the way I see it, thats the way it’ll happen!

04/07/10  05:17pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area