Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

RubberDuckey273   Reptilover1   RubberDuckey273   Ghastly   LizaB2008   RubberDuckey273   LizaB2008   Sivester   RubberDuckey273   LizaB2008   Sivester   RubberDuckey273  
 Member  Message

RubberDuckey273
View Profile

Signey got attacked

while i was at work today, my grandpa took her for a walk before he brought her over like he usually does on Saturday. i always warn him to be wary of aggressive dogs, and i know he understands because he used to have an overly protective German shepherd that mauled and killed a dog. so he understands how fast it can happen.

well the were walking across the street to avoid a couple walking their corgi and shepherd, because my grandpa knows they don’t like other dogs. apparently the woman was holding on to the shepherd while her husband had the corgi, and when the dogs saw signey the shepherd broke free and headed for signey. the dog attacked signey, although luckily only got a hold of her tail.

this situation is why i spent so much time socializing signey as a puppy, and training her to be calm around other dogs, because i knew before i got her that shibas can be aggressive if not properly trained and socialized. i didn’t want her getting into a fight with a dog bigger than her because of her aggressive nature. because of working with her when she was younger, she’s turned into a wonderful dog that loves making friends with other dogs when given the opportunity. but of course there’s nothing i can do about people that don’t socialize and train their big, powerful breeds.

what makes it worse is after the dog attacked her and the owners got a hold of him, they started smacking him and screaming at him. i understand they were startled and freaked out, but smacking a dog around isn’t going to help. the whole situation just frustrates me, and my dog is now missing the tip of her tail because people can’t handle their dogs.

04/03/10  08:30pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: RubberDuckey273   In reference to Message Id: 2138195

Signey got attacked

I’m sorry.....is she okay (relatively speaking, I mean - not overlooking the obvious)?

04/04/10  12:21am

RubberDuckey273
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2138250

Signey got attacked

thankfully, yes, she’s fine. she’s a sturdy little dog, and walks around like nothing happened. i’m a firm believer that coddling a dog when something like this happens only promotes negative behavior, but she still got a nice piece of meat for dinner, and had a big breakfast this morning (her favorite, egg with plain yogurt on the side). other than that, we’re treating her like normal, and she doesn’t seem to even notice her bandaged tail. she goes in on tuesday to have it looked at and make sure it’s healing properly.

04/04/10  02:02pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: RubberDuckey273   In reference to Message Id: 2138335

Signey got attacked

OMG glad to hear the GSD only got ahold of her tail and didn’t do anymore damage than what it had already done! As for smacking the dog that just gets them more hyped up weather they are still attacking or not... stupid people!!

04/04/10  06:16pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2138388

Signey got attacked

Alot of time even though people with "Big, powerful dogs" do socialize them they are still over protective and are triggered by other dogs. I socialize Zoe and have since she was 6 weeks old. She makes friends with every dog and personshe meets, but there are still certain people and dogs that trigger her to act funny. I restrain her properly though, because I am aware of the damage my dog could cause of someone or another dog.

Zoe wears a gentle leader when we go anywhere. She cannot get away from me and she shows the slightest bit of aggresion i can correct the situation and remove her from it. More often then not, Zoe is the one that is bit by small, weak dogs. She was biten in the face by a chihuahua about two months ago, and stood there like "what was that for???" and was bit in her side by a little shitzu (probably spelled wrong).

I agree that it is the owners responsibility to restrain their animal, but you cannot completely blame them. GSD’s are extreamly protective and probably saw signey as a threat to the other dog or the owners. Still, that is no excuse for them not properly restraining their dog, nor is it ok that they beat it. That just excites them even more and makes them worse.

04/05/10  06:41pm

RubberDuckey273
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2138655

Signey got attacked

Normally i would agree. but from what my grandfather said, they were at least 20 feet from the couple and their dogs, and when signey is on her walks, she’s completely calm. i know small dogs especially will set off larger dogs when they get over excited or aggressive, but i’ve made sure signey stays calm, for exactly this reason. unless another dog walks right up to her, she’ll look at other dogs if they’re walking by, but goes right back to her walk.

also, my grandfather mentioned that he was crossing the street because he’s seen this other dog bark and lunge at other dogs. so the owners know their dog doesn’t like strange dogs.

i know how protective gsd’s can be. what irritates me is that other people get dogs like that, and then don’t take simple precautions. why wasn’t the man walking the larger dog? my grandmother doesn’t walk Signey because she knows that Signey could break away from her. i know even socialized dogs can be unpredictable, but the fact of the matter is, signey could have been killed. having a powerful dog, or a dog in general, means taking the responsibility of the things your pet is capable of.

what bothers me is that the couple never even apologized, nor offered to pay the vet bill.

04/05/10  08:45pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: RubberDuckey273   In reference to Message Id: 2138690

Signey got attacked

Thats when you get a lawyer so that it doesn’t happen again.

04/05/10  10:40pm

Sivester
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2138722

Signey got attacked

Yeah, i worked with a guy who’s dog barked at a cat, which the owner was holding and the cat bit the owner and scratched his hand and the guy needed surgery on his hand. guy at work ended up getting sued for 75k..... for his dog barking at this guys cat.. who bit the owner.. I couldn’t imagine an actual attack.

04/05/10  11:39pm

RubberDuckey273
View Profile

Message To: Sivester   In reference to Message Id: 2138729

Signey got attacked

ooooh yea, i hear all sorts of crazy lawsuits in the grooming business.

one guy got bit by his own dog who was having its nails clipped by the groomer, and he sued her for that. another guy brought in a cat to be groomed, my friend went to take the cat, it jumped on her face, slashed her up pretty good. later find out the guy found the cat on the street and instead of taking it to the vet first, he decided to bring it to the groomer to make it pretty. this is why its so important to have people prove their animals have had their shots before taking them into your care.

04/06/10  05:37am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: RubberDuckey273   In reference to Message Id: 2138749

Signey got attacked

Groomers also need to take extra precations by asking the owners to bring in proof of vaccination. Nothing against the groomer thehad the dog bite the owner while he was clipping it’s nails. But the groomer should have muzzled the dog before they started.

04/06/10  08:41am

Sivester
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2138766

Signey got attacked

Muzzles some times make it worse.. Zues absolutely hates muzzles. Our vet muzzled him for shots. I just need to tell vets and groomers don’t let men handle him. He has issues with men other then me handleing him, or even intue same room.

04/06/10  10:54am

RubberDuckey273
View Profile

Message To: Sivester   In reference to Message Id: 2138796

Signey got attacked

yea, muzzles regularly make it worse. we only use muzzle in our shop if the dogs show aggression to having their nails clipped. if you can clip the dogs with the muzzle off, the dog has a better experience and will hopefully be more willing in the future. small dogs are the ones to watch out for, because they don’t give any warning, but they’re much more easily restrained as long as you have two people to work on them. the only large dog that ever bit me while i was clipping nails was a rotty who’s owner said had no problem with nail clipping. about halfway through though, when i was holding the paw and positioning to clip the next nail, she reached down and bit my hand, no warning. weirdest thing i’ve ever seen. and she was completely fine with the rest of them, and has been fine ever since. sure hurt like hell though lol

04/06/10  01:48pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area