Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Ghastly   Reptilover1   Ghastly   Reptilover1   RubberDuckey273   Ghastly   Reptilover1   Rae rae   Reptilover1   Ghastly   LizaB2008  
 Member  Message

Ghastly
View Profile

Licking

I was just wondering what people’s view is on dogs that lick "kiss" excessively.

I know it can be a sign of not enough mental stimulation, licking skin instead of mouthing as a pup to keep the mouth occupied, salt on our skin and in the natural to get the mum to regurgitate food.
Well Milla who is now 10 months has always licked her breeder said she was like that since day one she was born with her tongue sticking out and every time she sleeps it sticks out and whenever i walk into the room or she is on my lap or near me she has to kiss my mouth. I have never liked dogs licking my hands let alone my face and since i got Milla i had been teaching her no whenever she went to lick me but needless to say after a constant 6 months i gave up ^^ i just figure its the way she is its only me she does it too unless some says "Milla can i have a snogs?" or "snogs please"

But i was just wondering what peoples opinions are on this type of topic since there are so many reasons behind it... plus im bored and cannot sleep ^^

04/01/10  09:25pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2137829

Licking

I was told - at least with my dogs - that it’s a sign of affection (I know that their’r other reasons too, of course). But they are lickers for sure!!! And Charlie especially only does it to people he’s in love with (which doesn’t leave out too many, for sure)!!! That being said though, I suspect that sometimes it’s a self-soothing thing too. Cuz sometimes after laying down in bed at night (yes, my hubbie and I share our king size bed with the animals - there’r always at least 3 of them in it with us, but that’s another issue) charlie will lick and lick and LICK your hand while he’s going to sleep. I usually let him cuz he settles down faster, but it drives Kevin, my husband, absolutely insane!!! BUT, we took him in when he was 3 so he already came with the habit and Yorkie’s are really HARD to break (plus, stuff like that just doesn’t bother me much)!

04/01/10  11:39pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2137855

Licking

Thats really cute your hand is like a sookie blanket ^^ i wish Milla done that when she sleeps but she doesn’t she licks her lips and the noise turns my blood cold it goes right through me its a morbid noise. I only allow Milla on my bed when i feel like it lol she is a right bed hogger (takes after me) and hates it if you move her abit she places all her weight down or if you turn over she is right there squishing you ^^ i laugh now but in bed i don’t especially this morning she threw up in my bed right next to my face :( plus i couldn’t exactly move so i had to lie there for a hour and a half as Al was at work and my mum went to the superstore for me it wasn’t nice.
But i must agree some dogs must just be lickers and some aren’t needless to say Milla is the only dog i’ve ever had or looked after thats been a licker.

04/02/10  08:57am

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2137891

Licking

I guess licking her lips is better than the alternative! Charlie licks and licks at his butt hole and I can’t figure it out. His vet visits are fine, no parasites/worms, no irritation. He’s healthy. So who knows? But I get SOOOOO disgusted. Then, of course, he’s gonna come and lick me! EWWWW, despite loving animals so much and not letting much bother me, I do sort of have a weak stomach. I can’t clean up dog or cat puke AT ALL (God help us when this baby comes lol). So if one of them threw up in bed beside me I would have thrown up right along with them!!!

04/04/10  12:29am

RubberDuckey273
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2138251

Licking

uughh, i haate the sound of dogs licking at night while im trying to sleep. signey licks herself, and its incredibly annoying. i give her a nudge with my foot until she stops.

i’ve read that licking can be an obsessive compulsive thing, but i’ve never had to try to train a dog to stop so i’m not entirely positive how to go about it. my mom’s dog does it, but luckily she’s not the slobbery type so they’re not unbearably wet. also, for some reason, most of the pit and pitbull mixes i’ve met have this tendency. i personally think with most dogs that its just excitement, and that they’re happy to see you. when they just sit around and lick and lick for no reason, that’s when it could be something else.

04/04/10  02:08pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: RubberDuckey273   In reference to Message Id: 2138338

Licking

I can’t handle sick for the life of me let alone clean it up if i see it i throw up or if im being sick i have to shut my eyes or ill throw up again oh it is just repulsive and totally creeps me out!!

I heard it was a compulsive disorder also but i know that it is common in Bullies - EBT, APBT, Am. Staff & Staffy. needless to say Milla’s isn’t slobbery either or i would run a mile! Milla does it too me when i let her out of her cage in the morning or if she is walking by me and im sitting on the floor i get her tongue wapped right across my mouth XD

04/04/10  06:21pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2138389

Licking

AWWWWWW - that just sounds like she loves you :)

04/04/10  11:06pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2138455

Licking

look at a pack of wolves...dogs lick for affection, they lick to clean each other. but also, puppies will lick mom and dad’s face when they come back from a hunt. that stimulates the adult wolves to regurgitate their meal for the pups to eat. so, it could even be a mixture of being submissive, affectionate, and wanting your last meal lol!

04/05/10  01:13am

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2138481

Licking

OHHHHH gross, disgust, and any other word I can’t think of right now!!!!!!! I am NOT mama birdie feeding her babies lol!

04/05/10  12:43pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2138568

Licking

well my last meal was a chicken ketchup sandwich with chips ^^ a bloody good one and im not sharing with her lol

04/07/10  12:02pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2139026

Licking

ZOe knows not to lick me, she did it when she was a puppy and I never approved of it. I’m not a fan of dogs kissing me one the mouth, or licking my hands. Zoe knows better then to jump or lick. Thats just the way she was taught. My ex used to let her kiss him, I thought it was discusting.

04/07/10  02:44pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area