Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

LizaB2008   Reptilover1   HerpsinIN   LizaB2008   Rae rae   LizaB2008   HerpsinIN   Ghastly   Sivester   Janmccri   HerpsinIN   Rae rae   Sivester   LizaB2008   LizaB2008  
 Member  Message

LizaB2008
View Profile

Wellness

Well, as we all know a debate has been going on about dry dog foods and which is best. Since Zoe has no allergies or issue dog food is not an issue for me, but I have decided that Zoe and I are going to have a lifestyle change as far as the foods we eat go and I have decided to feed her Wellness Large Breed. The guy I have been talking to feeds his dog the same thing and loves it, so I am going to give it a try and I think it will be her final food change.

Also got her some of their all natural yogurtm apple, and banana treats. She loves em.

03/29/10  01:36pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2136905

Wellness

Charlie has had the fruit treats - and oh yeah, he loves them!!!!!!!!!!!

03/29/10  05:55pm

HerpsinIN
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2136973

Wellness

While I dont feed my dogs Wellness, I do have my Cat on it. I have no complaints with it. The only reason I dont have my dogs on it is because I feel i can get better quality (grain free) for the same price. My cat is a fatty, and the Healthy Weight food from Wellness has worked very well for him. So why change? Before switching my dogs to the grain free, I was feeding Eagle Pack Holistic Select which I fell is either comparable or slightly less in quality than Wellness.

03/29/10  07:05pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: HerpsinIN   In reference to Message Id: 2136997

Wellness

I’m not a spaz about the grains, she eats other meats on the side, the dry food is basically an appetizer for her. She doesn’t like the Wellness the, loves the treats, turns her nose up to the food.

03/30/10  02:20pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2137244

Wellness

my two large dogs always eat solid gold...the holistic food. they eat the wolf cub (large puppy formula) until they’re grown and then switch to regular solid gold wolf king. however my chihuahuas are different. solid gold doesn’t make a small breed small bites puppy food. so i feed my chihuahuas wellness small puppy formula until they reach adult and then switch them to wee bits which is solid gold adult small breed formula. the only complaint i have is gas! OH THE GAS! vet said it was because of the fish oils and proteins. their poop is fine just the gas. after a month of using it the gas gets better though. i guess it takes a little time for their bodies to get used to it.

03/30/10  10:48pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2137396

Wellness

Zoe was refusing to eat it, then I made it so she really had no choice. She ate it this morning and only ate 3/4 of her bowl, she gets three cups in the morning and three at night. Is that normal with the foods with less filler?

03/31/10  08:49am

HerpsinIN
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2137457

Wellness

She is getting 6 cups a day! That would be the main reason she isnt eating it all! that is ALOT of food! My bouvier is 75-80 and gets no more than 3 cups a day usually a little less. With such a good quality food as Wellness, I wouldn’t think you would need to feed that much.

03/31/10  09:05pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: HerpsinIN   In reference to Message Id: 2137611

Wellness

When i had Nelly she got two cups for her breakfast and a cup and a half for her dinner, i have always fed less at dinner time so it doesn’t sit in there stomach over night. When she was over one year old she only got her breakfast which was three cups.

03/31/10  09:18pm

Sivester
View Profile

Message To: HerpsinIN   In reference to Message Id: 2137611

Wellness

I wish my dogs ate 3 cups a day... I fill my dogs bowl up 2-3 times a day each bowl containing 14 cups of food. so typically they go through 28-42 cups of dog food daily... dog food doesn’t last long in our house :(. and ours weigh 130lbs, 105lbs, and i will guess apollo is about 60-65lbs based on how much harder it is to pick him up now lol.

03/31/10  09:25pm

Janmccri
View Profile

Message To: Sivester   In reference to Message Id: 2137620

Wellness

Our cavalier is restricted from grains and chicken and we have had great results from the Taste of the Wild dry food-the salmon is the only one that meets our criteria. Her coat is beautiful and she seems to be doing well on it. It is also very holistic, but not overly high in protein which can be hard on the kidneys. If you go on line and ever want to try it, they will send free samples.
Janice

03/31/10  10:34pm

HerpsinIN
View Profile

Message To: Janmccri   In reference to Message Id: 2137641

Wellness

Janice- I also feed Taste of the Wild for my 2 dogs. I switched several months ago and am VERY happy with the product. I highly recommend it and my dogs LOVE it!

03/31/10  11:45pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: HerpsinIN   In reference to Message Id: 2137659

Wellness

well, my vet says when a dog doesn’t like a food, then it’s a good thing sometimes. it means they will eat what they need instead of what they want. he’s really big on dogs not being fat. when they are fat it cuts their life short. don’t look at a dog as your kid, but look at them as a wolf. a person needs to eat 3 times a day. a healthy dog can go without food for a week and be just fine. of course i’m not saying feed your dog once a week. but i’m saying if your dog doesn’t like the food, tough crap!

this was the advice that i got that DID WORK! pick a good food that you want to feed. put the proper amount into the dog’s bowl at a certain feeding time of your choice. give the dog 15 minutes to eat it. if there’s still food there then pick it up. no more food for the day. at the same time the next day try again. it doesn’t matter if the dog doesn’t eat for a week, you have to wait them out. you may think that it’s cruel...BUT REMEMBER...it’s a dog, not a human. making a dog eat what’s healthy instead of what it wants is the same as making a kid eat healthy food instead of ice cream all day long. you do what’s best for the dog. i took the advice from the vet. and now all i have to say is "are you hungry?" and all 4 of my dogs run to their crate and wait for their food. they all eat it up as soon as i put it in their bowls with no questions asked.

my vet’s recommendations on feeding; from a puppy to 6 months old-feed 3 to 4 times daily. from 6 months to a year-feed 2 times daily. from a year on-once daily. of course this can be different for different sized dogs and breeds but that’s a general rule. he says especially for older dogs; don’t let the back of the bag tell you how much to feed your dog, let the scale tell you how much to feed. if your dog is fat with the recommended amount, then cut back.

all in all; a fat dog is a health hazard. they can get diabetes, early heart failure, joint problems, etc. any health problem a person can get from being overweight a dog can get too. monitor your dogs weight appropriately and you can ward off a lot of unwanted health problems.

04/01/10  01:48am

Sivester
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2137680

Wellness

Not sure if the over weight was reference to me, the 3 dogs i was talking about are all great danes and far from over weight, they’re actually on the lower end of the weight scale, our male is 130lbs female is 105lbs, and our 4 month growin pup is 60-65, though we free feed, I always find them eating at certain times of the day every day. They actually do well on the free feeding neither one over eats, and all share their food.

04/01/10  02:24am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Sivester   In reference to Message Id: 2137687

Wellness

I can honestly yell you she’s not over eating and she’s not overweight......I was feeding her purina one large breed formula. It’s more like 4 cups a day, I was feeding her 6 cups with the puppy food. 2 cups just wouldn’t do it for Zoe. Thats seems like way to little for her. She weighs 86 at the moment. Welness hasn’t changed her appitite much, I found out my aunt had fed her a little earlier that morning before I had gotten off work.

Yeah sivester, our danes eat 5 cups in the morning and 5 cups at night. We feed on schedule here because we have a dog that is overweight.

As you can see, I’m not over feeding my dogs.......

lol def not

04/01/10  08:04am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2137717

Wellness

Or would you consider them to be morbidly obese? lol

04/01/10  08:22am

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area