Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

LizaB2008   LizaB2008   Ghastly   Saucier   KrazyKelli   Monster545   KrazyKelli   ShadowAceD   Reptilover1   Ghastly   LizaB2008   LizaB2008   Ghastly   LizaB2008   LizaB2008   Saucier   Reptilover1   LizaB2008   Ghastly   LizaB2008   Reptilover1   Ghastly  
 Member  Message

LizaB2008
View Profile

Rescuing a hybrid

Might be taking in a wolf hybrid, says it is 98% wolf and it looks it to. Only 5 weeks old, the owner took it asa newborn and bottle fed it and is not sure that they want it because they will need a permit.

03/28/10  01:01pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2136674

Rescuing a hybrid

Mom was 160 and 34’’ at the shoulder, dad was 180 and 36’’ at the shoulder. Looking for a wolf rescue that will take it in, all are refusing because it will not adjust well with other wolves after being hand fed by a human.

03/28/10  01:04pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2136675

Rescuing a hybrid

Im not sure on these type of things as we aren’t allowed wild animal as pets. How can he/she be 98%? Wouldn’t it be 50/50 or a quarter domestic dog? I always get confused by these percentage’s

03/28/10  04:48pm

Saucier
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2136704

Rescuing a hybrid

I was going to ask the same question lol?

I don’t understand how it can be 98% wolf, but I also don’t know much about genetic stuff so
I think you could keep it, I mean it will either be more dominant than most dogs or crazy submissive,
but I think you could handle having him you are pretty good with being the dominant one in the "pack".
My only concern would be for Zoe and Joker. I think you have said that Zoe is a little dominant so that could cause some issues with the wolf pup, also I think you said it was a male(obviously you would have him neutered)but he still my want to fight with joker for dominance.

The biggest hurtle would be to make him understand that you are the dominant one.

anyways good luck either way

03/28/10  07:27pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Saucier   In reference to Message Id: 2136746

Rescuing a hybrid

The percentage probably has to due with generations. 98% being first generation, then the further you breed into doghood, the less percentage you’re looking at. It also has to do with what gender the wolf is and if the parent dog has wolf in it. The 98% in itself could be an exaggeration to either 1. tell the buyer that they are getting something ’wild’ and 2. tell them how wolf the dog will look.

A wolf dog is not a fun animal. This isn’t about easy ’being the dominant one’ and it will never be submissive. Right now it’s a pup and may act friendly and cute. Everything will dramatically change when it becomes an adult.

This animal will never be able to stay in your house and will eventually have no interest in being around humans at all. This is a hybrid that will need a caged in runway with a ceiling to it. This will become a creature that will do everything it possibly can to escape. And most wolf dogs are put down at a year or two because they will either bite the owner or someone the owner knows, especially children, to prove its place in the hierarchy, or will tear about the person’s house and will start avoiding them. If it ends up being a dominant wolf dog, it will test its boundaries and will challenge your place as leader any time it can, sometimes without warning. This isn’t even mentioning the wolf dogs that do get away and never come home.

And all above is why wolf dog rescue centers are overrun and have no room. People want these animals and find the puppies adorable. They want something more wild than a regular dog. Then they find an animal they can’t control and later becomes secluded, constantly looking for a way out.

But there are methods some owners use to protect themselves. They have the dog’s canine’s surgically removed.

(Psst, on the by... I know you’re already looking for rescues. And I wish you luck on eventually finding one. I only wanted to relay this information for others who may not understand the full responsibility a wolf dog hybrid is.

If it comes down to it, you could always contact the local shelter and tell them your situation. Someone dumped this hybrid on you and you are trying to find a rescue for it. They may be willing to look further or to people you may not know.)

03/28/10  08:31pm

Monster545
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2136756

Rescuing a hybrid

Not True! My friend Thor had a pure wolf for years, and the only problem they had with him was when he bit thor’s little brother when he tried to pet the wolf while he was eating. I would recoment having a big backyard, and train that puppy!! Always be training the puppy and give it something to do. Think of it as a kid with extreame Adhd, but never baby taalk it, you need to let it know from the begining that you are not weak and you dont play. I mean you can say good dog, and show affection, but you cant baby talk, know what i mean? This wold hybrid will be the best animal you have ever owned, and if it has the tempermant, I recomment making it an animal ambasidor for its species, like when it’s ready, let people who dont like wolves meet it, and also, sosalize it with as many dogs at a young age as possible. Thats all I can say.

03/28/10  09:43pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Monster545   In reference to Message Id: 2136779

Rescuing a hybrid

Just because your friend has this one in a million pure wolf as a friendly pet does not mean that wolf dog hybrids are the same thing. Wolf dogs are neither just like a wolf nor just like a dog. I’m speaking from experience. I have heard many stories of the exact opposite. And my neighbor use to have a wolf dog ages ago. It one day jumped the fence and bit my sister in her stomach, then was put down shortly thereafter. We were simply playing in the backyard and there was no outward reason for it.

Most wolfdogs I’ve come across have been nervous wrecks that want to run off. They pace around like caged wild animals and gnash their teeth if people come close. The very same dogs were supposedly lovely and cute as puppies and ’well trained’.

03/28/10  09:51pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2136782

Rescuing a hybrid

There’s a lot of truth behind what KrazyKelli is saying. Understanding it’s a hybrid, not a pure dog or a pure wolf, is important. This means the animal itself is often conflicted by genetics alone. I too have heard and witnessed horrific experiences with wolf hybrids, especially when the percentage of wolf in it is that high. I’ve seen more tolerable situations with those that are 50% or less, but more often than not, those dogs have no wolf in them to begin with. They tend to be Husky/Malamute crosses or something similiar.

Hopefully, you can find a rescue for the pup. If not, the outlook could be bleak. Most cities don’t even allow wolf hybrids, especially one of such high percentage, and with good reason. Have you tried looking into a wildlife rehab center? The rescues are somewhat right in their fear the pup won’t adjust well after being handled by humans for so long, but I’ve known of some wolf sanctuaries that have actually had success introducing pups into packs after having to bottle fed them for whatever reason. I’ve seen documentaries on it and spoken to a few members of sanctuaries about it. If the pup is introduced early enough and humans back off, they often make it just fine.

I will tell you my opinion is that no person should "own" a wolf or even a wolf-hybrid of such high percentage. It is not "cool" it is not a great "status symbol". They are not pets. They are wild animals and should not be treated as a domestic. There is one official (meaning it can be registered, though AKC does not currently recognize them) breed of dog in the world that is the result of breeding wolves and German Shepherds (Saarloos Wolfhond) and if you look up their requirements, it is very extensive. And the place you can get these animals from do not just let anyone have them. These dogs are actually domesticated and still can be a horrible mess to handle if you are not aware of what you are getting yourself into.

Anyway, my two cents on the matter.

03/28/10  10:06pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2136788

Rescuing a hybrid

Hey - I don’t have all the knowledge that everyone else on here has about your animal in question. BUT, I’m from W.V. originally and we had several wildlife sanctuaries. I recently confirmed with my mom - to double check and make sure I remembered correctly - and they actually had some wolf hybrids. And they did very well. I don’t know if there are any near you, but it may be something to check out????

03/28/10  10:53pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Monster545   In reference to Message Id: 2136779

Rescuing a hybrid

Quote:

Not True! My friend Thor had a pure wolf for years, and the only problem they had with him was when he bit thor’s little brother when he tried to pet the wolf while he was eating. I would recoment having a big backyard, and train that puppy!! Always be training the puppy and give it something to do

A wolf is a wolf it hasn’t been domesticated for 1,000 upon 1,000 of years like dogs it is still a wild creature. Training it, dominating it isn’t going to make it a happy creature look at some dogs they don’t like it and we have owned them since cave time’s. A wolf isn’t a domesticated dog end of story really no matter how well "trained" there is still a high chance that natural instinct will kick in and i will argue that black is white on this matter! Im not a believer in keeping wild animals as pets from Wolves to Monkeys and Hedgehogs the way i see it a Wolf hybrid or not is just like keeping any kind of bear or big cat you may as well lay your life cards on the table in front of you.

03/29/10  06:58am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2136842

Rescuing a hybrid

I’ll try and explain the percentage in mathematical terms. One set of great grandparents were wolf/wolf, the other set were wolf/malamute, one set of grandparents were wolf/wolf the other was wolf/wolfdog, the parents were 100% wolf/75% Wolf, 25% dod. If that helps any, I’m not really sure how they get 98% percent. Aparently all of the cubs that come from this set of parent look like pure black yukon wolves.

A wolf hybrid is a non-domesticated animal because they have high tendencies to act like full booded wolves. It is possible to keep wolf/wolfhybrids in a home environment, but they must be raised correctly and even so, present a lot of issues.

The cub must be raised by hand by a human before the cub even opens it eyes. It must be introduced to other canines as it grow older, if the cub only interacts with humans they begin to look at their human master as their mate both sexually and dominantly. Yes a wolf will try to mate with a human, they are vet=ry impressionable and pick up on their parents as they grow (they must learn how to hunt, feed, etc) and they are learning these techniques from a human, so therefore they must be human. Although the wolf will not try to harm or dominate their "mate" human, they will try to kill or dominate other members of the "pack" family, so if someone were to own one, they would have to be single, live by themsleves and remain that way until the wolf dies.

Zoe took to the puppy immediatly which is good, but also bad. If I were to keep it, it would take Zoe as it’s mate and try to kill and dominate me every chance it got. I do not plan on keeping the hybris, I will find it a home with someone I feel is knowledeable enough to care for it properly. It is on an all raw meat diet and as an adult, will eat up to 6 lbs of raw meat a day.

Monster545,
I don’t think you really know enough about wolfs or wolfdogs to give advice on them. Wolves are not trainable animals, they don’t have the eagar to please attitude our domesticated dogs have. Why your friend has a wolf around a child is beyond my thoughts, they’re crazy for that and need to be reported because that is all kinds of dangerous. The wolf may think of the child as part of the pack, but in the wild younger, weaker pack members are constantly dominated and put in their place, not something I would recommend around a child. A wolf/wolfhybris, could be submissive, but only to those that are extreamly dominant, dominance must be shown through strength, often a fight.

I already stated the wildlife rescues won’t take him because he was HAND RAISED, he will not adjust to other wolves well because he was raised by a human for the first five weeks of his life. Even the shelter rejected him. I will check in other states, but I’m sure they will all say the same. They will take wolf hybrids, but the cannot be raised by humans, because they are raised by a human they do not interact well with other wolves because they were not taught wolf like behaviors. They recommnd I keep him or find someone who can. I have named him midnight, because he’s all black with a white dimond on his chest. He doesn’t bark, but growls and howls.

03/29/10  12:11pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2136879

Rescuing a hybrid

Sorry for all of the mispelled words and grammer errors, was in a hurry.

03/29/10  12:19pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2136879

Rescuing a hybrid

Quote:

I’ll try and explain the percentage in mathematical terms. One set of great grandparents were wolf/wolf, the other set were wolf/malamute, one set of grandparents were wolf/wolf the other was wolf/wolfdog, the parents were 100% wolf/75% Wolf, 25% dod. If that helps any, I’m not really sure how they get 98% percent. Aparently all of the cubs that come from this set of parent look like pure black yukon wolves.

Would he not be a quarter domestic dog then?

03/29/10  12:34pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2136888

Rescuing a hybrid

No that wold be 25%, one of his parents was full blooded wolf, one was 3/4 wolf, 1/4 dog....if that. Some this cub is almost full wolf, with maybe a hint of malamute in it.

03/29/10  01:31pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2136903

Rescuing a hybrid

People, please don’t think I am taking this wolf in with no knowledge on how to care for it, let alone with intentions of keeping it as a pet. I plan on doing what is best for the animal, hopefully finding someone that has time to dedicate to the animal, as well as space. i have 2 acres, but I also will have issues being that I live with my Aunt and Uncle who have three dogs of their own, I would not only be putting myself and Zoe at risk, but them as well. I assist in rescue and rehabilitation of Birds, which is how the guy found me in the first place. I talked to the exotics Vet at the emergency clinic I work at and he is thinking about adopting him from me, he has another Wolf hybrid that he rescued and is willing to work with the cub. Hopefully everything works out.

03/29/10  03:59pm

Saucier
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2136945

Rescuing a hybrid

GL, either way. Hopefully he gets a good home

03/29/10  05:51pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2136945

Rescuing a hybrid

Hey - a wildlife sanctuary is different from a wildlife adoption or whatever. The animals aren’t in packs (or dens, or whatever it is for the animal in question), so there’d be no worry of him adapting with other wolves. At least there they each had there own very awesome and LARGE enclosure that mimiced the wild. but please don’t think I implied you had no idea what you were doing - cuz I have no experience whatsoever in this area. I just know what there was back home. LIZ
BTW - what’s wrong with hedgehogs???

03/29/10  05:53pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2136970

Rescuing a hybrid

I didn’ty anything about headgehogs, I own hedgehogs and love em. That was Ghastly dude. I wasn’t speaking to you about me not being knowledgeable.

03/30/10  02:22pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2136970

Rescuing a hybrid

Quote:

BTW - what’s wrong with hedgehogs???

There a wildlife creature. I don’t think its right seeing them in a rabbit hutch/indoor cage there supposed to be in burrows and we are only meant to see them once in a blue moon when they want to praise us with crossing our paths rummaging in our leave/flowers for food. I myself have owned and still Burmese and Reticulated Pythons (the two largest snakes in the world) along with newts, salamander, chinchilla and tarantula i don’t agree with me owning them either so therefore im not innocent nor am i trying to argue with people that do own wild animals, but despite i am a huge animal lover and couldn’t live without them i am still against animals kept as pets (its hard for me to explain) i suppose i don’t really mind cats (household not big cats) and dogs but the like’s of lizards, snakes, tarantula, toucan birds, hedgehogs, degu, big cats, wolf, caiman and other crocodilians etc i believe they are for the outside and not for entertainment in our home.

03/31/10  07:11am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2137436

Rescuing a hybrid

Most of these animals cannot be found in the wild in our areas. I don’t believe in people owning large parrots, simply because there are many that are misunderstood and abused for that. I don’t own any of my animals really, they live with me. I build their homes in replica to what they would normally have in the wild and enjoy watching them do what they do so naturally. The hedgehogs have huts they burrow in and the only time they come out is at night. They are awsome and I love them.

03/31/10  08:46am

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2137456

Rescuing a hybrid

That’s actually kinda neat (Ghastly) that hedgehogs are wild where you are. I think I understand where you’re coming from since you see them that way. I guess it’s different when I think about it here since they definitely are NOT in the wild. I would have to say that I don’t own my animals either - particularly my dogs/cats. THEY own ME!!! I do have a bearded dragon that I am completely in love with, but he has as natural a habitat as I can give him........

03/31/10  01:53pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2137518

Rescuing a hybrid

We have lots of wild animals - Hedgehogs, lemmings, weasel, elk, deer, occasional horse, mountain goat, fish, whale, dolphin, fox, rabbit, boar, field/valley mouse and birds.
I suppose if they aren’t wild where people are i could quite understand i guess as i see them in Florida every now and then when im on holiday along with raccoon (they are freaking adorable) i just presume they where wild everywhere ^^
Mine own me well i guess its 50/50 really i own the dogs and they know that Harlow (giant rabbit) owns me and hate’s everyone else let alone chase’s or attacks them when they come near me, Vallon my Retic python doesn’t care aslong as she is fed same as Bernie my Burmese, my ferret Bombon never really cared aslong as he got play time he was happy as a pig in mud ^^

03/31/10  06:26pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area