Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Baylor13   LizaB2008   Ammeratsu   Baylor13   LizaB2008   Baylor13   Ghastly   Baylor13   ShadowAceD   LizaB2008   Reptilover1   HerpsinIN   LizaB2008   LizaB2008  
 Member  Message

Baylor13
View Profile

Good news and a question about male dogs

So I think most know about Precious and her having puppies. Well she only had one and she was already sold when Precious was a puppy. So I have grown attached to the male runt of the litter and last night my mom said we might be keeping him because there was no other girls. The plan was to keep on of her daughters but she only had the one. So my question is how early can they be fixed? How easy are they to potty trained compared to females? And if you get them fixed at a young age do they still have the need to hike the leg and mark everything. I have seen several that were fixed young and still squat to go to the bathroom. That is what my mom wants. I know some of these questions may sound strange but this is our first male dog. No one I’m my family has ever had them as pets. Only females so we have no idea. lol Anyways some advice would be very nice.

03/28/10  10:23am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2136644

I recommend waiting until the puppy is at least sic months when his testicals have dropped. Only because is it a little dangerous to do it before, you can get them done as young as eight weeks, I just feel getting them done at 6 months is the safest way to go.

03/28/10  10:37am

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2136644

Well, when Rikka had her pups and I wanted to keep one, everyone on this forum said keeping a male would be a good idea. If you keep a male, than there’s less dominance issues with mum and her pup when he’s older.

I’ve heard from people here that you can neuter a pup at 12 weeks with no ill effects. I don’t think that goes for spaying, though.

The dog may still lift his leg to pee, but I don’t think he’ll mark everything if you get him neutered and house trained.

I peronally love male dogs. =) As long as they’re fixed, I just LOVE most of their personalities.

03/28/10  10:38am

Baylor13
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2136647

Thanks guys. As I said we have never had a male dog in our home before other than the stud of Precious but all of us have fallen in love with little Charm. I’ll be moving out in three years anyways when I’m done with school so they will all come with me. If we do decide to keep him he will be brought to puppy classes just as the other two were and CGC certified so he can work with my other two. Thanks for the info and if you have anything else please do tell.
Thanks,
Megan

03/28/10  11:29am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2136658

I suppose 12 weeks would be a sufficient age to have a male serilized, I myself just prefer to have it done at 6 months because it is easier on the vet because there is no room for mistake since the testi’s have dropped and most of the time cheaper, on of the new great dane parents paid extra to have hers fixed at 8 weeks, but she also has his stomach stapled as well. It’s up to you as the owner to decided when the best time is, ammeratsu’s biggest concern was her’s breeding with mom, so she wanted it done ASAP. If your case is similar then you should do the same, although most male dogs don’t reach sexual maturity until they are eight months.

There is still a possibility that the male will react to a females season, even if he is sterilized. I know chance still tried to mount shadow even though he is, although he is a whole foot shorter then her. Funny stuff.

03/28/10  12:45pm

Baylor13
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2136671

The only dog that will be able to breed after we get him fixed would be my mom’s corgi. Both boxers and her little dog are fixed and the corgi is 7 months. Breed her once at 2-2 1/2 then she gets fixed too. But I do plan on bringing him to all kinds of dog parks and things like that so I think 12 weeks would be a good idea when he is off leash at the parks. Just to make things better for me and him if we keep him.

03/28/10  04:09pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2136701

We have are female’s spayed 3 months after there first heat and the male’s are neutered over a year old. Our vets will take it into consideration if someone has bought two pups from the same litter but they recommend the female to be spayed instead of the male being neutered. All in all if you get him done instead of the mother i would do it when he drops but i would get the female done as thats what i am used to in my country.

03/28/10  04:53pm

Baylor13
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2136705

The mother got fixed with her c-section. I wasnt going to put her through two surgeries so while she was under we told them to just get it all done.

03/28/10  09:46pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2136780

If a male is neutered young enough, he may never lift his leg. This is not always the case, but it varies.

My German Shepherd was neutered at five months and he does not lift his leg; he just kind of stretches his body a bit, lifts up one foot and goes that way. My late German Shepherd/Husky was neutered at 1.5 years and lifted his leg outside of our backyard, but not in it. My Boxer was neutered at 1.5 years and he lifts his leg. But, the difference too is that my German Shepherd/Husky and German Shepherd were castrated and my Boxer was drained (testicles were completely removed vs. the sac being drained). So, the difference would be the Shepherd never really had testosterone consistently flowing through him before being fixed. The draining process allows testosterone to gradually leave the body, which lessens the chance of depression or other complications.

Lifting the leg in the house happened only once and it was the Boxer that did it. Luckily, I caught him in mid lift, pushed his leg down and let him outside. Other than that, it’s been fine. Everyone is house broken. I did not have either of my males as puppies, but I will say, in my experience, house breaking males has been easier than house breaking females. That is just my experience though.

As far as dominance, it varies. My German Shepherd constantly mounts my Boxer to show his dominance. My Boxer lets it happen. My Shepherd/Husky was a typical Husky and was dominant over all my other animals. My Boxer has never been dominant. My sixteen pounded Shih-tzu has mounted him while he was laying down and he really just does not care. I am more inclined to believe it is in the personality of the dog that dictates it rather than it being neutered or not and when it happened. My neighbor has an unaltered Rottie and he submits to any dog that comes around him.

03/28/10  10:16pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2136792

Males aren’t the only ones that mount to show dominance either. Zoe mounts Chance to show dominance and has mounted Joker, when I catch it I stop it and put her into submission. If you have dominant females though, the male won’t really get a chance to be dominant enough to harm anything, you see, females run the show...males are back up dancers.

03/29/10  01:41pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2136908

HaHaHaHaHa! LOL!!!!! I’m gonna share that with my huband :)

03/29/10  05:54pm

HerpsinIN
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2136971

I prefer to get the dogs fixed at 6 months of age. Research I have seen shows that fixing at a young age (8 weeks or so) causes more problems than good. Usually involves bone growth problems. 6 months gives them enough time for bones to grow properly. Also, spaying around 6 months usually will allow the female to be spayed before their first heat. IMO, this is one of the most important parts to fixing at 6 months. This nearly eliminates the risk of mammary tumors. In a male, it can usually eliminate most prostate problems as well as many behavioral problems.

That being said, I would always discuss the options with the vet as well as do your own research.

03/29/10  07:19pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: HerpsinIN   In reference to Message Id: 2137004

I agree with HerpsinIn, although I have been saying I prefer 6 months as well. You should always do your own research and discuss you opyions with you vets, more the one vet if it healps make the decision easier. I know I was a major spazoid when it came to getting Zoe fixed.

03/30/10  02:25pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2137246

OMG my typing sucks today lol. I thought someone might think that was funny Reptilover1

03/30/10  02:27pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area