Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Leoman911   Reptilover1   Leoman911   ShadowAceD   Bran421   LizaB2008   Reptilover1   Reptilover1   Goldysgirl76   LizaB2008   Cajunlady24   LizaB2008   HerpsinIN   Leoman911  
 Member  Message

Leoman911
View Profile

OMG!

My puppy has worms! I just got two puppies two days ago and 1 just pooped and I seen worms in them! I was told last year by an ABD breeder that you can buy there shots and stuff from tractor supply co. Is that true and I hear that there like 2 bucks and the lady who gave me the pups have gotten no shots and there about 8 weeks old now what do I do other than the obvious goto the vet?

03/24/10  10:49pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: Leoman911   In reference to Message Id: 2135849

OMG!

I’ve never bought any of that from any other source than the vet. Can you tell what kind of worms they are (I’m guessing round)? Usually de-wormer is not that horribly expensive.

03/24/10  11:20pm

Leoman911
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2135857

OMG!

Actually idk much about parasites but come to think of it they looked round until they stretched to move and also how much do you think that would be

03/25/10  01:12am

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Leoman911   In reference to Message Id: 2135877

OMG!

You really should get them to a vet. Where did you get them from? Anyone reputable would not have given you puppies with worms. The worms can also be secondary to something worse going on with them. Don’t try to self medicate, you do not know that this is all that is wrong with them.

03/25/10  03:45am

Bran421
View Profile

Message To: Leoman911   In reference to Message Id: 2135877

OMG!

Puppy’s are born with worms, they get it from their mothers milk. You will want to take them to the vet right now for their first set of shots and deworming. If you can’t afford that, then you shouldn’t have gotten not only one puppy but two. Pups need 3 sets of shots, and deworming and some vets will do a 4th booster shot. You can find low cost clinics, but for my boxer her sets of shots each time around cost on average $120 and the fourth booster was free.

~Brandy.

03/25/10  08:49am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Bran421   In reference to Message Id: 2135933

OMG!

Do not buy the shots from tractor supply, you have to be a licensed vet to vaccinate any animal. You can find cheap vets. I only paid a total od 40 dollars for zoes shots per visit. Never try to medicate any animal on your own without a veterinarians advice. Improper dosing can lead to worse problems and will lead to a more costly vet appointment then just your monthly booster. Call around and get pricing, some vets offer a discount for people who bring in more animals. You local Pet Supplies should also have a vet that comes in every month, they are pretty cheap if you would like to look at that option. Going to tractor suppy is def. not the best option for your puppies and I would highly recommend you get them taken to a vet, if the are any kind of bully breed or bully breed mix they will needmore then three boosters, this is a serious matter that should not be wormed around.

03/25/10  10:20am

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2135942

OMG!

Round worms are the most common type in new puppies, that’s why I guessed that kind. Ummm, I think Charlie’s were around 40 dollars too - BUT, he’s a little Yorkie. It’s not uncommon for them to have them, but if they stay untreated they can cause major digestive problems, among other issues. If you need to, check on/ask about a thing called "CareCredit." We had to do that when Lilly, our rat terrier, got cancer (and it was seriously expensive). It’s just what it sounds - kind of like a credit card but is really a payment plan that most vets will set up (through the company). Usually it’s deferred for 3-6 months - till your first payment is due- and you can work out how much will be paid each month. We were able to pay it off before the 6 months (which is when interest will kick in). It helped us out tremendously as not getting care for Lilly was NOT an option. Good luck!!!!

03/25/10  01:29pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2135975

OMG!

P.S. Yeah - def. don’t go the Tractor Supply route. There’s absolutely no guarantee (no matter what they tell you) as to what’s really in the "medicine" - or the percentages of what’s in it. So you could be getting dangerously high levels of something, or nothing really medicinal at all, OR a bunch of filler junk/preservatives/chemicals, etc.

03/25/10  01:33pm

Goldysgirl76
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2135942

OMG!

Does anyone know why the Bully Breed or mix needs an extra booster than the average dog?? I’m guessing a A.P.B.T is a bully breed right? Because I’m not sure my vet told me this and Now I’m concerned that Felon might be missing a shot that is necessary. How Old Are they when they receive this shot?

03/25/10  02:06pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Goldysgirl76   In reference to Message Id: 2135995

OMG!

Yes they are. I’m not sure why, I can ask my vet that I work under though. She is the one that advised me to get Zoe a 4th booster.

03/25/10  04:35pm

Cajunlady24
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2136037

OMG!

We used to use the 7n1 shot from Tractor Supply. Haven’t in a while not because we are to lazy to give them there shots we take them to the vet now. I couldn’t take the sterilizing of the needles and the up keep of everything.

That being said I still agree with everyone else take them to a vet. If you don’t know what you doing then you can over dose them. You don’t really know exactly how much of what they have mixed in there and if you take them to the vet it will be on file for future diagnosis

03/25/10  06:04pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Cajunlady24   In reference to Message Id: 2136058

OMG!

That and it’s only legal for a Veterinarian to give any kind of vaccinations. Only a Vet can fill out shot records which you need for just about anything now a days.

03/25/10  07:45pm

HerpsinIN
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2136083

OMG!

These puppies need a vet visit. Not necessarily for the shots and dewormings, but just for a general health check! I would be VERY surprised if there are puppies that do NOT have worms. However, most are very easy to take care of. Another reason to take the puppies to the vet is to start heartworm prevention. This will also help take care of internal parasites (depending on what brand will help control certain parasites).

Any person can give an animal a vaccine. Licensed vets are the only ones who can give a rabies shot. Anyone can do the others, including antibiotic shots (the average joe just cant diagnose or prescribe the medication).

The vaccines at TSC or other retail stores is just fine to give to pets. I would not be shocked if they werent even from the same manufacturer as the ones the vet gives. The thing you want to watch for is what you are vaccinating the animal for. There are usually 5 way and 7 way vaccines. You have to watch what you give puppies as one vaccines can only be given at a certain age. So again, it is recommended to take the dogs to the vet since most people dont know what they are doing.

It is recommended that the Bully breeds getting an additional booster is due to them being more susceptible to the Parvo Virus. This additional booster is thought to help make their immune system more resistant towards the virus.

I believe that is all the things mentioned in the thread. If i missed something, let me know.

03/25/10  08:24pm

Leoman911
View Profile

Message To: HerpsinIN   In reference to Message Id: 2136094

OMG!

Thanx guys I called a vet and he told me in the mean time to get the deworm treatment and I did and I’m going to get the shots too and also I have a freind that breeds american bulldogs that are pretty nice quality and she gets her shots from tractor supply and does it herself but she takes them to the vet for everything else and she never had a problem so yeah I didn’t know

03/26/10  01:09am

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area