Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Waldorepticzone   ShadowAceD   Ammeratsu   LizaB2008   Waldorepticzone   Reptilover1  
 Member  Message

Waldorepticzone
View Profile

Need some advice

my border collie just turned 1year old and has always been loving and never bite anyone. She is weary of strangers but when i pet her she calms down and then lets them pet her.but the other day she bite the air guy while he was fixing the unit.She has never done this before does anyone know what might have made her bite him. He was nice and kept his distance and said he had four dogs of his own and did nothing to encourage her to bite him.Any advice on how to prevent this from happening again.

03/24/10  09:35pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Waldorepticzone   In reference to Message Id: 2135834

Need some advice

Another person she did not recognize was in her territory; it is about that simple. No matter how well trained or gentle natured a dog is, it is still an animal and still prone to biting without warning. However, I doubt she bit him just to bite him.

Were you actually around her when she bit him? Did he happen to make a sharp movement? Was he just standing there? Did she just bite and release him? Where did she bite him at? Border Collies sometimes can get overly excited and their herding instinct kicks in. This happens on occassion with my relatives’ dog.

Anyway, as far as prevention, all you can do is keep her locked up elsewhere when strangers come into the home that you do not regard as a friend. Whether you realize it or not, you send off different cues to people you don’t know at all than to those you do and your dog picks up on this. You cannot really discipline her for it because the dog was, essentially, doing her job. Someone she did not know was in her territory, in her owner’s place and may have done something she did not like an accidently provoked her.

03/25/10  03:50am

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2135894

Need some advice

^Agreed

03/25/10  08:09am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2135919

Need some advice

As ShadowAceD suggested, he was an unfamiliar person on her territory around her humans. She obviously felt like she needed to deffend what is hers. It doesn’t matter what he smells like or how many dogs he has. A dog could walk into her yard and she would probably act the same, if not worse. It’s not a matter of being aggressive or even scared, she was being protective.

Border Collies are a herding breed, they are a naturally dominant, overly protective breed. They are breed to herd a flock of stubborn sheep and gaurd them with their lives from wolves, bears, pouchers, etc. They have a natural drive to protect their flock, your family are her flock.

If anyone unfamiliar to her comes over that isn’t going to be over alot, then you need to kennel her or lock her up somewhere until they are done with their business at your home. If it is a friend or family member, you need to slowly introduce her to them and get her used to them coming over. I have the same issue with my Rottweiler, also a herding breed. Everyone who comes in the house that are guests get a treat, they have to make her sit and wait for the treat, reward her and walk away. Soon enough, Zoe is coming to them for more treats. She is weiry of new comers because she doesn’t know the difference between a friend or an intruder, it is your job as the owner to teach her.

Good luck, hope all works out

03/25/10  10:34am

Waldorepticzone
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2135945

Need some advice

Ok thanks guys this makes me feel a little better and yes i was there when he came into the yard and when she bit him it was on the back of the knee and she bite and released.

03/25/10  12:20pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: Waldorepticzone   In reference to Message Id: 2135963

Need some advice

That makes a lot of sense......that’s what they do when they’re herding.......I had a miniature collie - a sheltie - who’s also part of a herding breed. And she would knip at the back of the leg/ankle at first. And she didn’t have a mean streak about her. She did just fine and was very sweet :) - and outgrew it as she got older

03/25/10  01:19pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area