Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Goldysgirl76   LizaB2008   LizaB2008   LizaB2008   Goldysgirl76   HerpsinIN   LizaB2008   Reptilover1   HerpsinIN   Reptilover1   Ghastly   LizaB2008  
 Member  Message

Goldysgirl76
View Profile

Just a few questions.

I just have a few questions that I hope well, I’m pretty sure some of you doggie experts can help me with. You guys are great.#1. What kind of dog food is the best for my almost 11month old A.P.B.T.? I’ve tried several brands and I read somewhere that the meat product in any food you buy should be labeled first in the ingredient list. (Is this even a truly good way to find a food?) This has been a nightmare to find. So Any way a friend suggested that I find a food with a meat product listed at least among the first 5 ingredients. So I’ve tried many, some gave him diarreah, some he refused, finally he seems to like the Wellness Puppy Formula but the Vet says he’s a little overweight. He also said my feeding schedule and amounts were on point so it must be lack of exercise or the food he’s eating. I guess. #2. What is a good shampoo for puppies? I’ve tried many natural brands but they always leave him dry and itchy and we are sure to rinse him thoroughly. I asked the lady at the petstore and she told me she uses Johnson&Johnson’s Baby Shampoo on her puppy???? What do you think? I’m thinking "No". But it’s a beautiful day out over here and I really want to give him a bath but I wanted to get some suggestions first. I know its long but thanks for reading. Mandy

03/20/10  12:56pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Goldysgirl76   In reference to Message Id: 2134489

Just a few questions.

I don’t like getting into these conversations simply because it is a very touchy subject for most. I used Purina Large Breed Puppy for Zoe, now she is on Eukanuba Naturally Wild, which I really, really like. The rulle for dog food is that the first three ingrediants should be some sort of meat meal. Chicken, Lamb, Beef, etc. and there shouldn’t be any type of grain in the food, that includes any kind of rice or corn. That is what most people on here go by, alot of them feed wellness, blue buffalo, etc. I don’t go by those rules simply because I feed my dog other things other then just the food and there is no need to be super duper picky about what I feed her. For you 11 month old Pitty though, I will recommend Eukanuba Naturally Wild and Ghastly will recommend Royal Canin, other people will disagree. Feed what ever brand works for your dog.

03/20/10  01:16pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2134499

Just a few questions.

About shampoo, I wouln’t recommend using any kind of human shampoo for dogs, simply because they lick themsleves and the chemicals can give them the squirts. I use a Natural dog shampoo I bought at the pet store, I’ll have to find the bottle and post the name. It works great and makes her coat smell like berrys. It’s all natural, no chemicals and no soap in it. I love it and it helps clean her so well.

03/20/10  01:21pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2134501

Just a few questions.

Here it is, It’s called Tropiclean, love it. Here is a link.....
Link

03/20/10  01:25pm

Goldysgirl76
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2134503

Just a few questions.

To: Lizab2008
Tropiclean is the last Shampoo I have used on Felon it is My only may use again shampoo. The only thing is he was still quite dry after using it. Now that could be because we were washing him waaayy tooo much. When we first got him it was raining quite a bit here & we were training him to pee & poop outside so he frequently had that wet dog smell so we washed him like every other day because the smell was terrible. However we now try to wash him every other week to every 3 wks is that still too much?? Besides the dryness I absolutely love this shampoo and it does make his coat soft and smells great thanks.

03/20/10  03:13pm

HerpsinIN
View Profile

Message To: Goldysgirl76   In reference to Message Id: 2134520

Just a few questions.

Wellness is a great food. If he is getting fat, then either exercise more or cut back the amount of food.

I also use Tropiclean Shampoos. After washing with the shampoo, I follow up with a conditioner. It seems to do a great job. If you are getting dry skin, one reason is not getting all the shampoo out of the dogs coat. So just make sure you rinse it all out.

03/20/10  04:55pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: HerpsinIN   In reference to Message Id: 2134540

Just a few questions.

I also add two table spoons of fish oil to the food for a healthier, shiny coat.

03/20/10  08:02pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2134592

Just a few questions.

Hi.....who makes Tropiclean? Would it work for a Yorkie as well (since he has real hair)??? For him (once I get the mats out!!!), static is a real issue.......

03/21/10  01:57pm

HerpsinIN
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2134732

Just a few questions.

I use Tropiclean on my Bouvier. She has the "hair" rather than fur. It does a great job, is soapless (dont have to worry about removal of topical flea/tick/heartworm meds), but I also follow up with a conditioner. Using a doggy conditioner should really help with the static.

03/21/10  04:34pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: HerpsinIN   In reference to Message Id: 2134767

Just a few questions.

03/21/10  05:01pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2134499

Just a few questions.

Quote:

Ghastly will recommend Royal Canin

Ah you know me so well haha ^-^

Milla has awful dry skin too (typical Bullie for you though) i use John Paul Oatmeal shampoo (the dog version not human version lol) and feed her 4 raw eggs on a Wednesday noon. Eggs are good for the coat either raw, boiled or scramble. But as Liza said some dogs work well on different brands some do good on cheap nasty stuff others don’t they do good on the highest thing on the market, it really is just a big experimental game whatever give’s your dog a nice shiney coat, doesn’t make him overweight, sluggish/too over the top, white teeth, nice solid stools remember a dog that does small poo’s is good as it shows they are absorbing there food were as big poo’s they aren’t and are a waste etc

03/23/10  03:38pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2135414

Just a few questions.

Yeah, My aunt and uncle are actually using this new food called nature recipie. They said it’s really good stuff, they want me to try it but I want to kee Zoe what she’s on now. you could check it out. It has oatmeal in place of rice and corn.

03/23/10  05:31pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area