Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Ghastly   Ghastly   Ghastly   Ammeratsu   Ghastly   Ammeratsu   Ghastly   Cajunlady24   Ghastly   Reptilover1   Ghastly   Reptilover1   Marissa4   Ghastly   Cajunlady24   Ghastly   Cajunlady24  
 Member  Message

Ghastly
View Profile

Dog fighting: Need advice...

Now i didn’t know how to title the topic and before anyone panic’s im not starting the "sport" i just need advice on what i think i almost witnessed one last night.

Now last night (Monday) i had finished work as i stayed later in tidying the inks away and doing last stencils for the next day, now i went home and got Milla leashed up and took her for a walk to the graveyard for a nice run and a game of fetch.
When we got there it was around 6:30pm and we were heading back there was a large group (approx 12) of middle aged men just standing there in a large group some of them had bicycles some were just standing, i clipped Milla back on her leash as i have had quite a few rough looking people try and pick her up and run off with her despite i was a bit away from them i still clipped her and walked down to them as thats were the only entrance/exit to the graveyard is.
Now only one man seen me and he must of said something as all of them bar four ran away/got on there bike and emerged was two black Staffy dogs one guy noticed me after talking and clipped them to there leash and walked out of the graveyard his friend on the bike went up the street when his other friend went down the street i ended up stopping him as i said his Staffs were nice looking and Milla ended up sniffing them. He seemed like a pleasant chap despite he didn’t really look at me in the face when speaking (it is considered highly rude/informal in Europe not to look in someones direction when there speaking to you) he didn’t really say much about the dogs bar the youngest one was only a year old and belonged to "a friend" and the eldest one had part Am.Staff in him (i never said Milla was an APBT despite he didn’t really look at her either).

So im looking for advice on if this was a dog fight starting and i interupted it?

1) Bunch of 12 or so men
2) two male dogs (they were friendly towards Mila and each other but i know fighting dogs can be friendly to the opposite gender and each other if they are trained to fight on command)
3) Both dogs were butched up in a leather harness with studs same as collar and leash
4) Shifty looking me/rough looking also
5) All in all rather suspicious and fleeing once they seen me

Do you think its something i should report to police? Local shelter don’t really do anything there totally up themselves and the next shelter is roughly 50 miles away. Im the only person in my village with a Bullie breed so they may be from a neighboring village?

I thought i would ask here as dog fighting is only done in the poorer parts of Europe eg. Bulgaria, Romania etc. and i know it is still done illegally in America but i thought you guys may know more about the signs as i do?

Thanks love’s (o^-’)b

03/16/10  06:14pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2133395

I also forgot to state i did pet the bigger dog as i thought if they were training the younger one up then the eldest one (i would say between 3 - 5 year old) he would have scar marks/fresh wound but i didn’t see any for the quick glimpse as Milla and the younger dog were playing and the leash getting caught up. So for dog appearance wise they did look ok but there may of been marks but as they were both black like Milla i know it is hard to see scars on them, i have seen me at time’s trying to find Milla’s scars from when she was attacked by the Collie at 17 weeks old despite she has white scar fur thats hard to see also. The guy was quite iffy about me petting his dog he did tug the leash abit but try to do it discretely.

Just to clear i don’t allow my dog to see strange dogs she is usually quite wary of them since the Collie incident and will bark/puff away at a dog she feels uncomfortable around but she didn’t seem fussed by these two? perhaps she knew they were of the same category as her? lol

03/16/10  06:28pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2133396

Well i just called my local police station the phone call cut off as i used my mobile/cell as my landline isn’t working correctly and there number only allows so long for mobile/cell calls, they got where it was and took directions as they weren’t sure of the location and said they were going to send people to check it out not sure if they caught that i said i have never seen them here before as thats when the phone line cut off (damn) but i hope that they were dog fighters as they will now be prosecuted if caught but as i couldn’t give a description i highly doubt it but on the other hand i just hope they were shifty people as i would hate to of known that they were fighters as i would of knocked them senseless for mistreating the dogs like that despite i would have possibly stopped a fight although they proberly would have moved on to elsewhere.

It would have been easier if she spoke English as i would have been able to say more were as we have three words for one English word or a word so long its unbelievable *rolls eyes* my hearts going ten to a dozen as i hate speaking on the phone i may phone them tomorrow from my works phone for a better description and more of what happened.

03/16/10  06:48pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2133396

Uhh, nah. I think they were going to do some other illegal activity.

All the fighting dogs that are rescued on TV and such are usually really friendly towards people, and really unfriendly towards other dogs. There have been dogs that tear the chainlink that separates them just to get at each other.

If you didn’t see any scars, then I doubt it.

And if they had leather collars/leashes/harnesses, then I also doubt it. I think they usually use chains with fighting dogs. And I doubt anyone would due that in a public place.

Just my two cents. =P I’m just a 15 year old girl, so it’s just what I think.

03/16/10  06:49pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2133405

I didn’t really have much time to see any scars or wounds it was just a mer glimpse of its body.

The dogs were both on chain leashes i have nothing against chain leashes you get in the pet store i walk Milla on one but these were like big truck chain with a leather belt for a handle and had the leather collars which have the weight pockets inside them you know what you slide in? I know folk over here use leather harness when fighting as they pick the dog up with it to pry it off.

It don’t matter about your age hun ^^ any advice for me is good especially since the dog fighting isn’t exactly a strong point of mine i know how to spot it on a inside but outside in a abandon graveyard were know one goes (the graves are from WW2 and back)

03/16/10  06:58pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2133409

Well possibly. I just don’t think it makes sense that the dogs were friendly to other dogs. Usually they are trained to attack any dog, to increase how aggressive they are to dogs.

And it just seems unlikely they would do it in public at all(even in an abandoned graveyard) because people could hear the snarles and yelps.

Who knows, maybe they were. Or maybe they were just trying to look awesome with their "dangerous" bully breeds.

03/16/10  08:28pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2133438

I know thats what i thought i have a "aunt" (we don’t speak of the scum) she is from Romania she said that they have dogs that will tolerate others unless commanded to disapprove of another dog weather it is verbally or by action from yanking the leash (thats why i stood up and moved Milla) to moving the hand or tapping the dog, its done to be less obvious as there any dog that snarls is lifted so obviously a fighter isn’t wanting his dog away form him.

The graveyard is a good 30 min walk awat from the nearest house it is very rarely you can hear things in there, thats why i was super suspicious once i seen the two male dogs.

I hope they weren’t trying to look super tough with there "dangerous" dogs, if anything that annoys me more than fighting XD

03/16/10  08:39pm

Cajunlady24
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2133441

From what I have seen a dog that is taught to fight will growl or make some kind of gester to the other dog most of the time won’t back down and won’t play with other dogs. Sounds to me more like a drug deal or the dogs were stolen and he was going to sell it to one of the other 11 guys. Most ppl pick areas that doesn’t have houses near so they can do things like that. I know alot of people here that trained their fighting dogs to only obey them and to hate all animals. The owner was the only one that could be around the dog. You did a good thing by calling the police. At least they can watch that place to see if it happens again

03/17/10  05:36pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Cajunlady24   In reference to Message Id: 2133681

Right the eldest dog is the one i seen he stood his ground all stiff and bold and just seemed to watch things moving with his eyes which just darted back and forth there was a loud noise i can’t remember what it really was but he did flinch his body but not move his legs same as when the man "discretely" tugged the leash. The young one which was seeing Milla was only a year old he was your typical puppy and the guy did seem miffed that Milla was seeing the other pup and they were bouncing side to side with each other, but i think he only put up with it as he "forgot" his manners when i spoke and tugging the older dogs leash when i got close to it.

To me knowing what the village is like along with the people there are no animal abuse, drug use/dealing and no domestic abuse or murder and these people none of them are from here so they will of stuck out like a sore thumb and anyone else who would of seen them would think of a dodgy game especially how they just fled and the two dogs just appeared from the centre... but i don’t know i phoned the police i haven’t seen them yet *rolls eyes*

03/17/10  07:50pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2133714

Out of curiousity.....what’s the drug situation like in that area (not in YOUR area, so to speak, but like would it take place in a cemetary or something???)? That’s sorta what it sounds like to me.

03/17/10  10:26pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2133771

Drugs or any other illegal activity doesn’t happen on the Lofoten islands at all the only drugs that are used are perspired by the doctor anyone needing prescribed methadone or cannabis they get sent away to institutions which are sort of like a rehab but they go there to get monitored and to make sure they don’t get hooked on the stuff as the country as a no drug policy, only place drugs are sold are larger cities. I don’t see why someone not from the island would take a 2 hour boat ride and a day in travel to get to Vestvågøy just to sell a pack of drugs you know?

I know something was happening but to do all that travelling for a drug sell or a fight it just doesn’t seem to make sense really all in all its very suspicious in more ways than one!!

03/18/10  07:33am

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2133851

Yeah, who knows.......no matter what, it still seems really suspicious - so it’s still good you alerted the police!!!

03/18/10  02:31pm

Marissa4
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2133942

yeah sounds like they were dealing drugs..

I know this old man who always has drugs on him, so he brings his "evil" dogs with him so that police wont search him when they pull him over and ect. And it actually works... sad and terrible. i highly doubt it is a dog fight from the sound of it. (and no i dont by drugs from this old man, i bought dogs lol but afterwords i heard the story)

03/23/10  08:47pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Marissa4   In reference to Message Id: 2135527

Well despite telling the police they still haven’t investigated the graveyard! I can see some of it from my home and Zache stays right across the road from it. Kind of disappointing on there (police) behalf, don’t evan see why i called up!!

03/24/10  06:49am

Cajunlady24
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2135635

I think it’s a good thing you called. You did your part and if you see it again call them again. It’s hard to know that you called and they haven’t checked it out. You can never tell why the police didn’t check in to something.

03/24/10  07:25am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Cajunlady24   In reference to Message Id: 2135645

I know it was a good thing but they proberly think 1) its outsiders proberly wont come back 2) its just dogs not getting involved in possible fighting dogs

Either way if that is what they have thought im very disappointed more than i currently am!!

03/24/10  07:43am

Cajunlady24
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2135649

I know what you mean..I would be very disappointed as well

03/24/10  08:41pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area