Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Goldysgirl76   Ghastly   Goldysgirl76   Ghastly   HerpsinIN   RepticZ   Goldysgirl76   Vwvixen02   Reptilover1   Cajunlady24   Reptilover1   HerpsinIN   Ghastly   Reptilover1   Ghastly   Reptilover1   Ghastly   Reptilover1   Ghastly   Rae rae   Reptilover1   Goldysgirl76  
 Member  Message

Goldysgirl76
View Profile

What is this???? Sorry if it’s nasty...

This is going to sound gross, but I’m very concerned, Felon (my 10 month old A.P.B.T) has recently started having a greenish/yellow discharge or more of a drop, on his foreskin of his penis. It is not slimy maybe more of a liquid I’m not really sure. But does anyone know what this could be??? I’m worried that maybe it could mean infection, But then again maybe it could be something harmless. I’m just looking for your opinions and advice. I don’t want to seem like a worry wart to my Vet. I have taken him in several times already for issues that have turned out to be normal or nothing to worry about so I really want to make sure there is a problem or a chance of one before I take him in this time, So any help is appreciated. I could post a pic but I thought it would be inappropriate to some or disgusting but if necessary I can. Thanks again.

03/15/10  01:00pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Goldysgirl76   In reference to Message Id: 2133007

Definetly take Felon to the vet for this! It could most likely be a infection when my Dobermann Corey was alive when he was coming two years old he had to go to the vet for similar symptoms he had a small stone caught in his sheath. But definetly take him to the vet for this it isn’t normal thing the only discharge that should come from a dogs penis is the odd "wet dream" to place it politely

03/15/10  02:56pm

Goldysgirl76
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2133041

Thank You so much, I’m so worried now and I just called the vet we are going in in the A.M. They asked me questions like has he been urinating as usual and yes he has but that’s when I notice the greenish yellow junk (right after he comes in from outside from doing his duty) then I guess it dries up or whatever and I won’t see it again until he goes out and comes in again. So they said they need to see him and I need to bring a urine in. (that will be fun to capture) but I’m all about it I don’t want anything to happen to my baby boy "Felon". This will probably be a great time to ask the Vet about his "excitement Urination" Maybe it’s somehow connected. Thanks again.

03/15/10  05:19pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Goldysgirl76   In reference to Message Id: 2133086

Urine capturing is great fun haha a word of advice try and catch it instantly as the more you are "hindering" it put’s the dog off lol ^^
It may be connected if it is a infection is his penis swollen? not trying to get you to do dirty things with the dog but can his sheath be moved easily? or if he does it himself does it come out with no problem? I hope it isn’t a infection as he will get tablets and possible creams to be applied on his willy i hope it is something like stale semen that he hasn’t washed away/came away when peeing.

Keep posted

03/15/10  05:34pm

HerpsinIN
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2133090

I have a feeling all you are seeing is smegma. Do a search on it and read up. Its a normal male dog thing (well all male animals i guess).

03/15/10  10:34pm

RepticZ
View Profile

Message To: HerpsinIN   In reference to Message Id: 2133183

Lol my dog always gets what you are talking about, both of my dogs had that and still get it and i think its normal junk i wouldnt be a worry wart.

03/15/10  11:04pm

Goldysgirl76
View Profile

Message To: HerpsinIN   In reference to Message Id: 2133183

Wow thank you so much. I just googled your response for "smegma" and it sounds exactly like what Felon has. I’m soooo relieved.. I’ve been a mess all day worried about him.. I think I’ll still make it to the Vet though just incase but only due to his constant sprinkling. Hoping its not connected and it’s just a puppy/ confidence thing. And besides I went through all that work collecting his urine so I might as well have it checked lol. Thanks to all who have responded I had never before heard of "smegma" glad it was brought to my attention. I can now sleep comfortably tonite. Thanks again!!!!

03/15/10  11:47pm

Vwvixen02
View Profile

Message To: Goldysgirl76   In reference to Message Id: 2133206

My dog was having this issue licking his area every since we moved. Like licking it constantly and when he wasnt he was sniffing or looking at it. We took him to the vet because he was too having this yellowish discharge (hes fixed). They tested him for everything and told me sometimes hairs get in there and just bother them...they called it schmegma and just to wipe it off for him...well its been 7 months and its not getting better so i think were going back to the vet...ill let you know what they say. They told me it may also be a nervous thing because of the transition of houses.

03/17/10  03:13pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: Vwvixen02   In reference to Message Id: 2133636

Question.....is it mostly big dogs that get this? Cuz Charlie (6 lbs.) is 5 and has never had it. And he’s moved 3 times.

03/17/10  03:44pm

Cajunlady24
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2133641

Both of my small male dogs have this every now and then..I normally give them a bath and then it stops...hope this helps

03/17/10  04:55pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: Cajunlady24   In reference to Message Id: 2133660

HMMMM.....wonder why Charlie has never gotten it then??? Not that I’m complaining by the way :)

03/17/10  07:02pm

HerpsinIN
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2133694

Smegma is normal for all dogs as well as other animals. You probably dont see it simply becuase your dog is licking it off. Also, while Im sure it is possible, but I doubt that you are starring at your dogs penis 24/7. While color can indicate infection, smegma is a perfectly normal substance that accumulates around the penis.

03/17/10  07:39pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2133694

I’ve never had any of my working male dogs neutered or not with it either, the only time i had apenis problem was when Corey got a small stone caught in his sheath as he liked to lie in the dirt ^^ perhaps we are just lucky Repti ^^

03/17/10  07:40pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2133713

I’ll go with lucky!!! Normal or not, I already have all the odors and substances I care to have around this house :)

03/17/10  10:10pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2133765

Haha lol the only thing im currently facing are ears you clean them one day and they have a mild stinky smell and dirty the next day talk about a wax build up! Am just waiting for ear cleaner to come to my door save’s washing them every third day with warm water.

03/18/10  07:27am

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2133847

Yup!!! One of my cats gets big-time build up in her ears and I use this ear rinse that’s really cool - it actually squirts/sprays in BACKWARDS (kinda hard to esplain) so it doesn’t go right down the ear canal, but really cleans the ear. Well, with my bunnies and guineas, there’s ALWAYS bedding (and food) kicked out into the floor.....with my bearded dragon, I have all kinds of bugs and worms stored (have you ever heard the amount of noise 1,000 crickets in a bin make???), my cats shed (and one pukes - he’s getting old), my Yorkie has "accidents" (though I don’t think they’re accidents), as this breed is SO hard to train and then keep trained!!! I’m having a baby soon, so i can only imagine what that will bring....AND I have a husband :)

03/18/10  02:38pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2133943

I may need to look out for that ear cleaner do you get it prescription from the vet or can you buy it on a vet site unprescribed?
I hate the noise of crickets i have them for my Tarantula’s i do agree they are noisy so are hissing cockroach! Good luck with new baby and especially the husband ^^

03/18/10  04:37pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2133969

Thanks :) Okay, I got the ear wash from the pet store, though don’t know if you’ll have it or not. I’ll have to look it up in a bit, and if I find it I’ll put the link on here!!

03/18/10  05:10pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2133987

That would be great thanks ^^ we don’t have it in our pet store’s. Do you know if Petco does it? I usually buy things from them as i love the funky toys you guys have for dogs ^^

03/18/10  05:44pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2133992

it’s most of the time large male dogs that aren’t neutered. however, not all the time. i have seen my male chihuahua with it once. my germ shep was neutered. he got discharge once. i took him to vet. had to put him on antibiotics and flush is penis out with betadine everyday. NOT FUN FOR ME! it cleared up after that. it was not red, inflamed or swollen, just the little bit of discharge, and my vet said it’s normal for big dogs to get. his words to me were, it’s very common for big dogs, nothing he will die over if you don’t treat it. however if you do want to get rid of it you HAVE to do both the antibiotics and the flush. just one or the other won’t do it. so don’t waste your money if you know you’re not going to take the time to do both. since my dog slept in the bed sometimes i did both and it went away. but he did make sure to tell me that it wasn’t something to freak out about.

however...still take him to the vet. it could be something more serious. it could be a prostate infection, urinary tract infection, yeast infection, etc. you never know until you’re cleared from the doctor. and believe me...all those infections can look just like this in the beginning. you don’t want to wait until it gets worse to find out, that can be painful for the dog. there can do cultures, staining slides, urine strip, etc to tell what’s going on. or if you really trust the vet’s opinion, sometimes with just one look they can tell you. my vet’s been doing it for 30 years so i trusted him, and he was right.

when in doubt, see a vet.

03/18/10  09:49pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2133992

I’ll have to dig it out and see the label.....(we moved recently so it’s in the "pet box" still :) but I’ll let you know!

03/18/10  11:52pm

Goldysgirl76
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2134109

Ok Sorry, I didn’t get right back to you guys after our Vet Visit. But Felon is fine as many of you had suggested, however its not that I didn’t believe you guys. Its just that Felon is my baby boy and the thought of him suffering with pain just makes me crazy. He is such an amazing dog. Anyway his Urine was fine all cultures came back great and aside from being a little "Overweight" he is great healthy condition. Although he really freaked out when we brought him into the truck he was shaking like crazy and just looked terrified. I felt so bad for him he even had a bout with Diarreaha when we arrived at the vet’s office (outside as soon as we got him out of the truck). But other than that he’s great thanks for all your help & Advice keep it coming. Mandy

03/20/10  12:21pm

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area