Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Ghastly   RottieMom   Vwvixen02   Ghastly   LizaB2008   Ghastly   HerpsinIN   Ghastly   HerpsinIN   Ghastly   Reptilover1   Ghastly   LizaB2008   RottieMom   LizaB2008   Ghastly   LizaB2008   Ghastly   LizaB2008   Ghastly   LizaB2008   Ghastly   RottieMom   Ghastly   RottieMom   RottieMom   Ghastly   HerpsinIN   RottieMom   RottieMom  
Pages 1 2 3 Next
 Member  Message

Ghastly
View Profile

Bloat

Well i thought i would post on here if anyone has or has had or known someone with a dog that just bloats up for no apparent reason?

Well Milla (9 month APBT) has ben bloating since i got her it isn’t a regular thing luckily just happens once or twice a month but when it does it isn’t exactly the most appealing thing to look at.
She has been to the vet it isn’t actual bloat from eating too quick nor is anything blocked in her intestinal region. Nothing in particular sets it off it can be anything from a big dinner, needing a big poo, missing a daily long walk, posible gas? but as i said she can only have it once or twice a week and it doesn’t always happen if she doesn’t get a daily big walk, or having a big meal or needing a big poo.

When she does get it she is like a ball with legs and a head you know how puppies go when they feed off there mum and they just swell up and are like balls with a solid tummy its exactly like that only imagine it on a 9 month old dog and nothing inparticular sets it off. She doesn’t really like to move when she swells up but then again would you?

Also taking her out for abit seems to "deflate" it weather she does a poo or not.

Anyone got any idea no matter how small or large? Have taken pics on my phone but you can’t really see it.

03/09/10  11:29am

RottieMom
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2131354

Bloat

What do you feed her? I would definitely be going with a grain-free food, especially since she seems to have a sensitive stomach.

03/09/10  03:51pm

Vwvixen02
View Profile

Message To: RottieMom   In reference to Message Id: 2131404

Bloat

My dog was getting a big below while eating and for about 3 min after. I elevated his dish and feed him in small quantities so he doesnt woof his food down so fast...Havent had any trouble since.

03/09/10  04:32pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Bloat

Royal Canin Boxer junior then when she turns one she will be on there Bulldog diet (she is on the Boxer junior as they don’t do a Bullday puppy) and is given raw meat once a week and on a sunday morning gets porridge for breakfast. Same diet as any other dog ive had/got.

I have been looking for the bowls that raise up in the centre do any of you know where i can get one? she doesn’t so much as inhale her food down as much as she used to.

Tonight i think her bloat is down to trapped gas as well needless to say my home hasn’t been so pleasant smelling like it usually is.

03/09/10  06:23pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2131459

Bloat

It sounds to me like she just has gas. It’s not Bloat, Bloat is the flipping of the stomach which is cause by eating to fast, exercizing before or after eating and eating at an angle. She could have gas from leaning down to eat and taking in air. You can find the elavated dishes at any big pet store or online. I have one for Zoe and I have noticed she doesn’t get gas as bad now that she eats that way.

There is also the possiblity that the food your feeding her is making her gasy, I’ve never tried Royal Canin but I am now feeding Zoe Eukanuba Naturally Wild New Zeland Venison and potato formula and I love it. I will keep her on this diet from now on. Venison is the first ingrediant and it has now fillers. Potatoes are a healthy carb that are full on nutrients and are highly digestable, it also has the antioxidents in it and the fish oil for a healthy coat. Zoie loves it and her coat and teeth look great, and her muscle tone is outstanding. I loved the Purina One Large Breed Puppy but didn’t want to keep her on that as an adult, so I did a little research and talked to Dr. Wendt (The Vet that teaches our Vet Tech courses) and she is feeding her Burmese Mountain Dog the Salmon and Rice formula.

I would just try the elevated bowls, if that doesn’t work you may need to switch her to a food made special for a dog with sentive stomach.

03/09/10  07:09pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2131474

Bloat

Royal Canin despite it being a brand i’ve always fed my dogs and love it is the only brand that doesn’t gas Milla up and when she does get gas it doesnt stink half as bad! I did experiment when i first got her:-

Science diet - that was just awful, bad coat and extremely bad gas she could clear my house let alone property
James Wellbeloved - despite hating the brand thought i’d give it a go the results were the same as Science diet
Eukanuba - same as the two above seemed to burp more than pumping plus she never really ate it.

Everything just rolled back round to Royal Canin which doesn’t bother me as they are sponser for my during Schutzhund so get money off bulk bags :) plus only gets gas every now and then just like anyother dog and such a soft shiney coat with big pearly white’s too lol

I have a doogy table same as the one below for her which i agree does help a lot and doesn’t strain the spinal cord either, just thought i would try the centre raised bowls.

03/09/10  07:39pm

HerpsinIN
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2131474

Bloat

Quote:

It sounds to me like she just has gas. It’s not Bloat, Bloat is the flipping of the stomach which is cause by eating to fast, exercizing before or after eating and eating at an angle.

That is incorrect. This dog is bloating. Gastric Torsion or Gastric dilatation-volvulus (GDV) (what ever you want to call it) is the FLIPPING or TWISTING of the stomach. Many people commonly misuse the word bloat for GDV, but they are not the same thing.

03/09/10  09:17pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: HerpsinIN   In reference to Message Id: 2131512

Bloat

I used the word bloat as my dog is bloated she has puffed up like a sand filled balloon. I know over here we call GDV well GDV, Bloat, Twisted stomach, blockage but i suppose different place’s have different name’s.

03/09/10  09:23pm

HerpsinIN
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2131481

Bloat

Quote:

I have a doogy table same as the one below for her which i agree does help a lot and doesn’t strain the spinal cord either, just thought i would try the centre raised bowls.

I have heard of these bowls before. Dont know if they work or not, but I can see how it would slow down the dogs eating habits.

http://www.fetchdog.com/pet-supplies/dogbowls-feeders/dogbowls-dishes/antibloat-bowl-large/H30020?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base

03/09/10  09:23pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: HerpsinIN   In reference to Message Id: 2131521

Bloat

I have no idea i was thinking about investing in one but she isn’t a fast eater now she slowed down when she was 17 weeks, i always used to pick up the bowl and swivel my hand in it whilst she was eating to prevent her getting food aggressive and to slow down to which it has prevented both. I find when she does bloat up it have such a sh*tty smelling night due to the gas.

03/09/10  09:36pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2131527

Bloat

I’m not sure about the bowls, but I will tell you - everyone, I guess - that I’ve been informed over and over about the Science Diet. It’s not supposed to be real great. It’s not even the same formula as it was originally - when it was decent. It was taken over by another company and it’s just not the same. I was advised to never ever use it. My little Yorkie does bloat when he eats corn so i feed him a diet without it (but then again, he actually has an allergy to it, so I don’t know....)

03/10/10  12:56am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2131587

Bloat

Well i only gave her Science diet as the vet "bullied" me into it and i was getting so sick of hearing each time i went in have you tried it yet? I got a free 4 kg bag when i registered she had a bowl of it and that was her, but that was my experimentation on the brand.

03/10/10  07:10am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2131625

Bloat

Science diet must really not be that bad if it is the only food out there that isn’t making shadow lose her hair. Joker has food allergies so his food had to be switched and in the process of switching Shadow started losing the hair around her eyes, on her legs and in patches on her back. The only food she can eat that isn’t having this effect on her is the science diet. I keep hearing that people should stay away from science diet, stay away, it’s very bad. How can it really be that bad if it’s helping Shadow’s allergies?

Zoe obviously doesn’t have a sensitive stomach or allergies so pretty much any food would be fine for her, but since I have found Eukanuba Naturally Wild I have decided not to try anything else. I would try getting a taller bowl for her and see if that doesn’t help.

03/10/10  10:26am

RottieMom
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2131661

Bloat

It doesn’t sound like any of the foods you have tried are top-quality, grain-free foods. Personally, if my dog had problems with gas and "bloating," I would keep trying a better food, with ZERO grains. Rice is a grain.

03/10/10  11:20am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: RottieMom   In reference to Message Id: 2131678

Bloat

Dogs eat a variety of foods in the wild, they were garbage diggers for heavens sake. Grain is not bad for a dog. Corn is not bad for a dog. It’s making sure the dog gets a healthy balance of those things. A dogs diet should only consist on about 25% grain, 35% Veggies, and the last 60% should be meats. Dogs like any other omnivorous creature, need a good variety of food. Dogs are omnivorous as are their cousins in the wild, Wolves mainly eat meat, but that is not all they eat. I see people on here blabbing off at the mouth about how grains are bad, corn is bad, blah blah is bad. These things are not bad for your dogs, they just need to be given in a healthy balance. Things like potatos, rice, corn, veggies, and fruits are nutritional and valuble to the dogs diet. When looking for a good food, you should consider having a variety of foods in that. None of them should be any kind of meal or by product, but the real thing. The reason domestic dogs are healthier then canines in the wild is because of the variety they are fed.

Ghastly’s dog is more then likely not getting gas because there is rice or corn in her food but because she is eating it at an angle, the bowls need to be elevated to the chest. Ghastly is obviously dedicated to the brand she uses, there is nothing wrong with that when it is obviously the only one that doesn’t give the dog problems. Lets not suggest a change in food anymore since that is not what is believed to be causing the problems. Or did she not make that obvious when I suggested a few posts ago?

03/10/10  03:08pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2131718

Bloat

I will agree with food topics different dogs do better on different brands. My Milla doesn’t do well on Science Diet yet Liza’s Shadow does, all my dogs do well on Royal Canin yet my parents chocolate Labrador doesn’t she does good on Science Diet. Someone posted on a previous topic about dog food that there parents fed a previous on cheap superstore food but yet the dog was all in good shape and had a excellent coat.

As for Royal Canin giving Milla gas i don’t agree with anyone that owns a Bullie breed will no they are a gassy type of dog some are more gassy than others and sometime’s some don’t pass gas well so it builds up happens in dogs and happens in humans too.

I don’t thikn corn and rice is bad for a dog as Liza say’s aslong as it is minimal and is all balanced out, now i no RC has a bit of corn and rice in it but that doesn’t bother me as there meaty needs are thrown into the bowl.

03/10/10  03:24pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2131725

Bloat

Exactly. When I make any kind of meat I cut the scraps, cook them (By choice), and serve them over Zoe’s food. She loves it and it gives her the extra protein and iron she needs. I also give her steamed veggies and fruits on occassion. Can’t argue with the results, I get so many compliments oin how great Zoe’s coat looks and how pretty her teeth are.

03/10/10  03:34pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2131729

Bloat

I agree i do the same only i don’t cook my dogs meat never have and proberly never will unless it gives a dog diahorrea then i would cook or steam it. i don’t give vegetables only once in a blue moon and if i do its carrots but RC is quite vegetable filled and grainy i no thats not the attitude to take but i prefer meats to vegs

03/10/10  04:05pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2131737

Bloat

You should prefer meat to veggies. Meat should be majority of the diet. I cook meat because of intestinal parasites, E-Coli and semonila. Alot of people who feed their animals Raw meat don’t think of that, but I do. It isn’t rare for them to get those things, it happens. I prefer not to take the risk of it happening to my dog. It’s nothing against the Raw Diet I am just OCD about mny dogs health.

03/10/10  04:10pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2131741

Bloat

I wouldn’t blame you i myself prefer raw meat to cooked meat (it is a delicacy over here) or half and half. there is alot of raw "poison" in non cooked meats i myself have yet to experience these with my dogs over the past 5 years but i have known people who attempted to feed there dog raw once and get done with a hefty vet bill, i guess im just one of the lucky one’s?

03/10/10  04:15pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2131745

Bloat

Probably, and I’m not a risk taker as far as those kind of things go. So we just stick on the safe side.

03/10/10  04:18pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2131747

Bloat

I need to borrow a pair of your shoes perhaps ^^

03/10/10  04:19pm

RottieMom
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2131749

Bloat

I know dogs that eat crappier food than Purina and have shiny coats - it doesn’t mean the food is good. It means the food is edible and they have a high tolerance for crap. I don’t expect everyone to go buy the most expensive food out there, but if you are already forking over alot of money for food, you might as well really look at the ingredients. And if your dog is having problems with gas, here’s an idea - TRY taking away the grains and see what happens. Just because dogs eat anything in the wild doesn’t mean it’s good for them. It means they eat whatever they can. Granted, they’ve lived for thousands of years with what we’ve given them, but if we have better food available out there now, why not give it to them? Especially if they are having constant problems!!! If my dog was ballooning up like a ball, you’d better believe I’d be taking the grains away to see if that stops the problem.

And by the way, just because some grains are good for people, doesn’t mean they are good for dogs. Last I checked, dogs aren’t people. But again, that’s not the point. The point is the dog is not able to tolerate something in its diet. So, you don’t continue to keep feeding it the same thing. You subtract ingredients from its food to find out what the problem is.

03/10/10  05:51pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: RottieMom   In reference to Message Id: 2131778

Bloat

Firstly read my post, im lucky if it happens once or twice a month. secondly the grains have been taken away i have bought other brands but RC is what does her better and doesn’t give her alot of gas if any at all.
Plus i have no problem in forking alot of money out on my dogs the way i see it - they eat it, they like it, they don’t get problems with it why shouldn’t i buy it? i don’t care if im spending just over $100 a month on dry food alone there going to eat it so why change to something that gives them alot of gas and they aren’t going to touch?

You know what i have noticed also in the past 3 years or so on the dog section is people thinking they know things better without reading the posts correctly and targeting people its times like that i wish i didnt come back the other day!

03/10/10  06:16pm

RottieMom
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2131781

Bloat

You wrote in your first post, "but as i said she can only have it once or twice a week." So I took that as she gets it twice a week? Is that incorrect?

Try the rasied bowl and see if it works. You never know. If not, I’d switch her food and try that. Not all grain-free foods are expensive.

03/10/10  07:31pm

RottieMom
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2131781

Bloat

Also, it would be easier to read people’s post more easily if they used proper punctuation.

03/10/10  07:32pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: RottieMom   In reference to Message Id: 2131792

Bloat

Quote:

Well Milla (9 month APBT) has ben bloating since i got her it isn’t a regular thing luckily just happens once or twice a month but when it does it isn’t exactly the most appealing thing to look at.

Where do you see week in that sentence? I see month not week so did everyone else. A far as punctuation goes i try my very best and personally i think i do well, i may not no where my full stops and comma’s go but my spelling is good and so is my speaking/pronunciation

03/10/10  07:48pm

HerpsinIN
View Profile

Bloat

Quote:

but as i said she can only have it once or twice a week and it doesn’t always happen if she doesn’t get a daily big walk, or having a big meal or needing a big poo.

But I agree, change foods if it is happening this regularly.

Also, you guys are mentioning that majority of the food should be meat. I agree 100%, but when you look at the ingredients on the bag, they are listing them by WEIGHT. So when you have the ingredient Chicken as the first ingredient and corn and rice the next two ingredients, then grains are going to make up the majority of that diet. Reason being that once the chicken is cooked, its going to loose the water content (quite a bit of the weight) and not be the bulk of the food. Look for foods that have several meat MEALS as the first several ingredients. Those foods are going to be based of meat first.

03/10/10  08:10pm

RottieMom
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2131799

Bloat

Last sentence of your second paragraph.

It is difficult to see where one sentence starts and one ends when there is no end punctuation, so if one doesn’t read your posts "correctly," that’s probably the reason why.

I personally don’t care what you feed your dog. I don’t work for a dog food company so I don’t try to push one food over another. You asked for advice and I gave it. It doesn’t seem like you take constructive contricism very well. I don’t claim to know everything, but I do know something, and I continue to learn every day. If someone suggests something to me, I do research to find out if there is any validity to it and then I decide if I’m going to follow it.

Also, just because one person is in school to be a vet tech doesn’t mean they know everything. I was a vet tech myself in the past and I have a B.S. in Biology. I know a little something about animals. As far as food goes, I haven’t always fed my pets the best food (I admit that my cats still don’t eat the greatest cat food), but I try to educate myself on what is the best food that I can afford to feed my dog. I don’t listen to my vet’s opinion on dog food because my vet’s speciality isn’t food - it’s medicine, and also because he is pushed to sell certain brands by the sales reps. If a food works for you and your dog seems healthy, fine - but if you are having problems and you can’t figure out what is the cause, you may want to venture out and try something else.

03/10/10  08:10pm

RottieMom
View Profile

Message To: RottieMom   In reference to Message Id: 2131814

Bloat

Go to www.dogfoodanalysis.com and find the brand of food you feed your dog. It will give it a rating and explain why it gives that rating. This is a non-biased analysis.

03/10/10  08:14pm
Pages 1 2 3 Next

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area