Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Ammeratsu   FutureVet123   LizaB2008   LizaB2008   Ammeratsu   Ghastly   Ammeratsu   Reptilover1   LizaB2008  
 Member  Message

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Part King Shepherd?

I was just thinking about Kodiak’s gene’s. It just occured to me; his dad looked like a King Shepherd. What do you guys think? His dad was a big shepherd. He had a long, caot, massive features, was very tall, and his nose was bulkier than a German shepherd’s.

King shepherd pup:

Kodiak:

King shepherd pup:

Kodiak:

03/06/10  08:19pm

FutureVet123
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2130628

Part King Shepherd?

Hmmm, it’s very coincidental I think that they look alike. I’m not positive on this, so of course correct me if I am wrong, but a King Shepherd does not seem like a common breed (maybe it is). I think it would be a long shot if somebody would turn a dog like that loose. Most people will keep unusual breeds or more unheard of breeds, be it because of financial gains, or whatever. I think that although there is a possibility his father could be a king shepherd, that it is unlikely.
-Peaches and Jeni

03/06/10  11:59pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: FutureVet123   In reference to Message Id: 2130725

Part King Shepherd?

His markings match the king shepherds to the T. King Sheps are rare. There are 6 of them just in my area, that could be because there is a breeder, but theya ren’t rare. Just not popular. You’d be surprised at the breeds people let run loose. Someone almost lost their maltese today when it came running at me barking when I had Zoe. I think it is very possible that his father could have been a king shep. Next time she goes in heat follow him home and talk to the owner.

03/07/10  12:15am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2130736

Part King Shepherd?

Meant to say the aren’t rare lol. To late, need to go to bed.

03/07/10  12:18am

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2130738

Part King Shepherd?

I think it’s possible, even if they are rare. I mean, an akita isn’t exactly a common breed and she’s escaped before. And plus, this king shepherd could have been perfectly contained. But since he was intact, when he smelled Rikka, he may have just found a way out.

I always described him as looking to be pure shepherd, but HUGE with a long coat. I didn’t think of it until last night, that he looked like a King shepherd. His body structure was very shepherd-like, just massive. He really was a beautiful dog.

Anyways, when she goes into heat(any week now, I’m sure) I’ll definitely follow him home. With any luck, she won’t go into heat until March 23rd or later, and then I can follow him home in a car instead of on a horse, haha.

03/07/10  10:08am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2130628

Part King Shepherd?

Could most likely be i still think Tibetan Mastini from the dads description but there is a big difference in reading a dogs description to actually seeing it. But all in all Kodiak does look like a KS pup!

03/07/10  01:28pm

Ammeratsu
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2130867

Part King Shepherd?

No, he wasn’t a Tibetan Mastiff. His ears were erect, muzzle shepherd-like(just a bit more bulky), tail was not curled, etc.

03/07/10  02:06pm

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: Ammeratsu   In reference to Message Id: 2130875

Part King Shepherd?

His markings are like that of a king shepherd. Either way, that is one of the most adorable pups I’ve ever seen!

03/07/10  11:31pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Reptilover1   In reference to Message Id: 2131009

Part King Shepherd?

Tibetan matiffs kind of put me in the mind of what a Rottweiler/Newfounland mix would look like. I def don’t think they look Tibetan mastiffs because none of them have the block head or build on one. The all look like Akita/Shepherd. What amm. is describing does sound like a King shpherd. He looks like GSD, but is much bigger with a longer coat. Sounds very similar to a King Shpherd. Hopefully you find him and his owner so you can know for sure.

03/08/10  10:24am

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area