Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

VenoMiss ViXen   LizaB2008   VenoMiss ViXen   LizaB2008  
 Member  Message

VenoMiss ViXen
View Profile

Kennel cough question

I have a new puppy and we took her to the vet today to have an exam and had her looked at because she was showing signs of kennel cough. Sure enough she does have it and we have 2 other dogs in our home, both have their bordetella shots but I am keeping the infected puppy away from them but am still worried about them contracting it since the puppy has had all her shots and still contracted the virus. I was wondering if there are any over the counter medications I could use to further prevent them from catching the virus thank you.

03/06/10  05:18pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: VenoMiss ViXen   In reference to Message Id: 2130585

Kennel cough question

Kennel Cough isn’t something any vaccine can prevent. There is nothing over the counter that you can use to prevent a dog from getting it, kennel cough is caught when the puppy is kept in an un-sanitary environment. The only way to get rid of it is to have the vet give it an antibiotics shot and wait. If your dogs start showing any signs of having it you need to take them and get the shot immediatly. You can prevent them from getting it by keeping everything sanitized. Bleach the area the puppy is in twice a day and keep them apart.

Where did you get this puppy? Did you look at the area the puppy was held in? If this was a breeder you need to report it to your vet and animal control because where ever that puppy was kept, it was not kept in an area with fresh water and a clean environment.

03/06/10  06:28pm

VenoMiss ViXen
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2130599

Kennel cough question

Already ahead of you as far as reporting it, keeping her area sanitary, and all dogs have been vaccinated. As far as the petstore goes (Utica Pet Supply MI), this place was actually very clean as far as where she actually came from, I did my research and found the place had numerous violations for being unsanitary (found this out after I purchased her unfortunately. I already filed my complaint with Department of Agriculture. As far as getting any money back for her vet expenses, I dont think the place will since I signed a legal agreement. I even examined her and spent an hour and a half with her before i purchased her and did not show signs of KC before the day after I brought her home. Vet says it is a minor case and prescribed me medications for her and I have been keeping other dogs away, and bleaching and using lysol spray.

03/06/10  08:04pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: VenoMiss ViXen   In reference to Message Id: 2130625

Kennel cough question

Then your doing what you need to do, just keep sanitizing, even for a few weeks after she has cleared up. I never buy my pups from a pet store. All of their puppies come from puppy mills. Thats probably where you little lady picked up her KC. It’s good that you caught it while symptoms were still mild. I rescued a dog from the pound and she had Kennel Cough so bad that she couldn’t breath. She ended up dying and there was nothing the city could do buy fine them and make them keep their kennels cleaner.

03/07/10  12:10am

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area