Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

Vwvixen02   Reptilover1   Ghastly   Vwvixen02   Ghastly   HerpsinIN   Marissa4   RubberDuckey273  
 Member  Message

Vwvixen02
View Profile

This is just a rant...about jogging..with a small dog

I was driving to work today and saw a lady jogging fast with her older looking boston terrier...mind you its 30 degrees where I live....Im all about running with your dog I have a boxer who runs with me occasionally...but if you want a jogging partner I dont think a boston terrier is the right choice...He looked like he was panting and trying to keep up I felt so bad for the little guy...anyway...that is my friday morning rant...good day lol

03/05/10  08:20am

Reptilover1
View Profile

Message To: Vwvixen02   In reference to Message Id: 2130059

I just now read this or would have posted sooner......charlie, my little 6 lb. Yorkie, loves to run with me!!!!.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................but only for a few blocks LOL!!! Then he prefers walking :)

03/11/10  01:20am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Vwvixen02   In reference to Message Id: 2130059

Poor Boston :(

03/11/10  06:43am

Vwvixen02
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2131941

A few blocks is nothing, im talking about seeing ppl on trails or jogging fast and hard with a little pooch working those legs like its going out of style just so they dont get pulled...

03/11/10  08:38am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Vwvixen02   In reference to Message Id: 2131959

Doesn’t help the breed has a squished face its like jogging with a British Bulldog, you just don’t do it.

03/11/10  09:34am

HerpsinIN
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2131964

Can we say PETA?

03/11/10  12:37pm

Marissa4
View Profile

Message To: HerpsinIN   In reference to Message Id: 2131991

haha.. well ive noticed that somethimes it doesnt matter the breed of a dog.. i have a chihuaha and the breeders said that chihuahas would have a hard time walking a mile. but guess what the little stinker runs a mile and a half everyday with me and beats me even! (i live on a farm so he is off the leash) also i have 2 bulldogges and they both run like crazy and chase stuff and still kick my butt on my run (haha im not slow either at all)

anyways i think that it was probably good for the little guy, excercise will make him healthier.

03/14/10  12:10am

RubberDuckey273
View Profile

Message To: Marissa4   In reference to Message Id: 2132704

yea, it kind of depends on the individual dog, and i know that sometimes you don’t always get the whole story just from seeing it. i know my dog, although not a dog with breathing problems by any means, drags her feet when we aren’t taking the route she wants to take, and i probably look like the worst dog parent in the world while dragging my 17lb dog along the sidewalk. to anyone not aware of her tantrums, it looks like she’s being yanked along at a pace way too fast for her, when in reality it feels like she’s about to pull my arm apart.
my cousin came to visit me once, and proceeded to tell me how cruel i was for walking her how i was, with a choke chain, "dragging her along". so i handed her the leash, and signey yanked her about 10 feet before she got control of her again. and then of course she complained about shoulder pain the rest of the weekend.

on the other hand, i see this lady walking her little schipperke around the block, and she walks with a cane, i think because one of her legs has some deformity.. anyway, the dog is supposed to be a retired show dog, and from what i can see walks really well, but if it stops to smell something or starts in the wrong direction she gives the leash this huge yank and the god flies about 2 feet across the ground.

03/14/10  01:55am

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area