Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dogs Forum

OOo2-FrEsH-oOo   Repfanatic   Mk17rules   Rae rae   Mk17rules   Denial9945   Denial9945   Rae rae   ShadowAceD   GSD   GSD   LizaB2008   LizaB2008   ShadowAceD   LizaB2008   ShadowAceD   LizaB2008   GSD   ShadowAceD   LizaB2008   ShadowAceD   LizaB2008   Ghastly   LizaB2008   ShadowAceD   LizaB2008   GSD   Carved-In-Shadows   ShadowAceD  
 Member  Message

OOo2-FrEsH-oOo
View Profile

German Shepherds

Hi,
Kinda new and just wanted to know if yall could post pics of your GSD’s and mixes?

Thanks,
Devonte’

04/27/09  07:17pm

Repfanatic
View Profile

Message To: OOo2-FrEsH-oOo   In reference to Message Id: 1994174

German Shepherds

Here’s my GSD/? mix, Tonka.

04/27/09  07:45pm

Mk17rules
View Profile

Message To: Repfanatic   In reference to Message Id: 1994199

German Shepherds

Oh they are all sooooooooooooooo cute! Here is my almost twelve year old German Shepherd! Her name is Bailey!

she is so lazy hahaha here is another one!

Hahaha she is eyeing the food lolz.

Thankyou for looking at my German Shepherd Dog!

$Taylor$

05/13/09  08:27pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Mk17rules   In reference to Message Id: 2004016

German Shepherds

bailey’s a tubby! she needs to lose some weight. especially since she’s old. dogs tend to have a lot of heart problems when they get older and when they’re overweight it makes it worse.
anyway, here’s gunner, my gsd mix

05/14/09  05:29pm

Mk17rules
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2004556

German Shepherds

Yeah I know its just that if I walk her, she likes to get food off the table so we try to make her loose weight, I promise you .

05/14/09  05:51pm

Denial9945
View Profile

Message To: Mk17rules   In reference to Message Id: 2004578

German Shepherds

05/15/09  12:25pm

Denial9945
View Profile

Message To: Denial9945   In reference to Message Id: 2005080

German Shepherds

She was mad at me in the last pic because I told her to lay down so I could fix her harness lol

05/15/09  12:26pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Denial9945   In reference to Message Id: 2005082

German Shepherds

ok, i’m only talking about this because i’m a little ocd about dog’s weight problems. it’s one of the number one problems we see in our clinic, and the number one cause of most health problems and premature death. not being ugly.....but there’s no trying to make the dog lose weight, just do it. NEVER give a dog scraps from the table (green beans and carrots are ok) because especially anything fatty can cause her to get pancreatitis. if that happens she will be hospitalized. i’ve seen dogs go 10 years with eating scraps, and one day they almost die from it. it’s a very serious matter. think of it like this....for every pound she loses, you have added another month to her life. she is very old for her size and breed and you need to take special care of her.

exercise for her right now will probably only help out about 10%. you HAVE to cut her food back. think of her like a wolf; they run 30 miles a day and eat twice a week. i’m not saying feed her twice a week, but definitely only once a day. if you want to feed her more, just cut the portion you would do once a day into smaller portions. she needs to be on a weight management dog food, no scraps, no treats. don’t think of it as being mean to the dog, think of it as saving her life. if you get weight off of her she’s less likely to have diabetes, and probably won’t go into heart failure as soon. it’s just like a parent that lets their child become obese, you are the one in control of the food, not the dog. feed her only dog food, and about a third less than you have been so she will slowly lose weight.

i’m not trying to be aggrivating but i just can’t express how IMPORTANT it is that she lose weight. especially with her age. you will regret it and hate yourself if she dies early because she was fat.
good luck!!! stay strong with the no treats and scraps!!

05/16/09  01:51pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2005710

German Shepherds

My GSD Siberian Husky Mix Ezekiel.

05/24/09  02:33pm

GSD
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2010367

German Shepherds

04/16/10  01:15pm

GSD
View Profile

Message To: GSD   In reference to Message Id: 2141076

German Shepherds

My old GSD

04/16/10  01:25pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: GSD   In reference to Message Id: 2141080

German Shepherds

OMG Ezekiel is gorgous!

04/16/10  01:52pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: GSD   In reference to Message Id: 2141080

German Shepherds

Rae Rae, not to rude or anything, but if your going to be OCD about overweight dogs you should probably do it on another thread about overweight dogs. This thread isn’t titled overweight, how do you feel nor did they ask. I to am irritated by overweight dogs, because I also know the risks, but I’m not going to take over someone elses thread to complain.

I love GSD, they are awsome dogs.

04/16/10  01:55pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2141093

German Shepherds

Old thread, but ... came up in my notices.

Anyway, Liza, thanks for the comment on Ezekiel. He was my gorgeous "baby boy". Unfortunately, I had to have him euthanized this past November due to some mental problems that no amount of training, conditioning or medication could resolve. He had begun having violently unprovoked aggressive episode that resulted in about 1200.00 USD worth of damage in one of my other dogs, one of my mother’s dogs and one of my friend’s dogs.

The vet waned to get a cat scan done on him, but the waiting list to get into Auburn University was too long and the situation got out of hand before it was possible. The general consensus was that he was not "wired" properly and it was likely related to brain swelling that caused temporary paralysis when he was first found at a few months old after being hit by a car.

No one will ever know though.

04/16/10  03:00pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2141109

German Shepherds

Awww...poor guy. You must have been devistated. I know I would have been, the euthenasia was probably the best choice. An aggressive dog is nothing to play with, especially not when they become a possible danger to other animals and humans. Thats so sad, he was a gorgous boy and I’m sorry to hear that it had to end that way.

04/16/10  03:09pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2141114

German Shepherds

Yeah, I was a wreck following the fact. I had been mentally preparing myself for a few months before hand that it was a possibility. But one morning he went after my Boxer and I had to put him in a head lock and cut off his air way to get him to release. After that, I knew it was over. So, I took both of them to the vet, sent the Boxer to surgery and had them put Zeke down. I was with him the whole time. I wasn’t going to let him go alone. It was better that way anyway. It took maybe two seconds and he was gone. All he felt was the needle and that’s it.

I just wish I could have saved him.

But, even Xanax and Prozac (both made specifically for dogs) failed to level him out. I was working with an animal behaviorist, two vets and his foster mother to try and help him. I had adopted him almost two years earlier from a rescue and was told he was "special" but he had never presented the aggressive signs. The vet said something chemically in his body likely triggered it or something in his brain short circuited from past trauma. She said it is not really unheard of and is common in dogs that "snap". Unfortunately, like I said before, we’ll never know.

As a side note, about two months later I was volunteering at a local animal shelter when I ran across Bruce, my black German Shepherd, and his goofy presence has helped me heal from losing Zeke.

04/16/10  03:20pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2141116

German Shepherds

You made a decision that changed your life both good and bad, you lost a wonderful dog and gained another companion.

04/16/10  08:03pm

GSD
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2141177

German Shepherds

Both of the GSD’s posted above names were Bruce!!

04/17/10  01:08am

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: GSD   In reference to Message Id: 2141226

German Shepherds

Yes, I know. Still stings sometimes though. I miss him.

Funny how many GSDs seem to be named Bruce. However, I did not name him. When I found him at the shelter, the trustees and the officers told me his story. He had been in and out of shelters his whole life. His original owners named him Bruce and, for whatever reason, everytime someone else got him, they kept his name. So, when I got him, they were calling him Bruce Almighty and given how HUGE he is (will max out at 120-130 when he gains all his weight back, though that may or may not happen since he has pancreatitis), it was fitting.

04/17/10  02:20am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2141231

German Shepherds

Wow, I love black shepherds they look so similar to wolves.

04/17/10  02:50pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2141314

German Shepherds

I posted some pics of him when I first got him, but he was missing hair and a bit skinny. This is him now, though he is still underweight a bit. We feed him Blue Buffalo twice a day (we switched him off Wellness because Blue Buffalo Wilderness Blend is more fattening). Unfortunately, he still gains weight at a very slow rate. The vet is optimistic about him coping with the pancreatitis, though she is not so sure he will ever reach his ideal weight, but she does not think it will really impact him negatively.

So, here he is now. Just so you know, the metal and glass stand he is next to is four feet heigh so you can see how tall he is. He is about 100lbs now. He was 73lbs when we first got him in December/January. And yes, he has an ear that does not always stand. The vet thinks its likely due to malnourishment.

04/17/10  08:58pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2141380

German Shepherds

OMG, radiently gorgous dog. Beautiful, just beautiful

04/18/10  04:10pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2141380

German Shepherds

Black GSDs are bueatiful or the very dark sables!

04/18/10  04:13pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2141546

German Shepherds

I think out of all dogs that resemble wolves, black Germans Shepherds carry the torch

04/18/10  04:14pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2141548

German Shepherds

Thank you, and I concur. He’s a gorgeous boy. He is mistaken for a wolf all the time.

04/18/10  08:03pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: ShadowAceD   In reference to Message Id: 2141597

German Shepherds

Yeah, I actually had a friend staying with me a few years back who had a wolf dog that hardly had and dog in him. Beautiful canine, but had such an uneven temperment. He was very fond of me because I was the only female in the house and tried to dominate the other males in the house both human and dog alike. My and my friend gotr into an argument because I felt the the wolf dog needed to be neutered, he thought it would be taking away his man hood. He believed that until the day that he was ruff housing with me and the wolf dog attacked him and put him into the hospital, malaky didn’t know any better, he thought he was protecting what he claimed as his mate. Either way, he was euthenized because of what he did and my buddy has not gotten another dog since. This is why I know that wolf dogs are not an animal to keep as a pet under any circumstances if they are not well educated in wold behaviors.

04/19/10  10:40am

GSD
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2141707

German Shepherds

Denial9945 do you have puppy pictures

05/07/10  07:07pm

Carved-In-Shadows
View Profile

Message To: GSD   In reference to Message Id: 2145991

German Shepherds

Aw.. Lisa thats kinda a said story :( I would never put down my dog cause he attacked me esspessially when I was the one who choossed to not neuter him.. but I guess other people have different oppinions.. but as you said the dog didnt know any better.

Oh.. and Zeke was beautiful dog... It’s a shame you had to put him down... I used to have a white boxer that just had that killing instinct.. he went after our cats a few times and our other dogs several times, we finally decided to give her aware after she killed fancy our pet rat

05/08/10  11:01pm

ShadowAceD
View Profile

Message To: Carved-In-Shadows   In reference to Message Id: 2146195

German Shepherds

Zeke wasn’t so simple as having a killing instinct (though, as with most Huskies, cats and small animals were in danger around him). He was believed to be suffering from a form of mental illness that caused auditory hallucinations, possibly visual, but that is not known. He displayed behavior without attacking that showed he was mentally disturbed (walking around in circles, staring off into nothing and not responding to touch or sound, doing repetitive movements). We were never able to get him properly tested due to lack of funds for it. It was going to be done for free, but we just ran out of time. He became too unpredictable. Rehoming him was not an option we had the luxury of having.

05/09/10  12:28am

Back to Dogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area