Cyclura and Ctenosaura Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Cyclura and Ctenosaura Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Katekawetha   Katekawetha   Really  

Member  Message

Katekawetha
View Profile

I’m worried

I’ve had my baby iggy for about a year and a half now, for more than half the time that I’ve had him, he went without a uva/uvb light as I took the guidance of my not-so-knowing boyfriend whom has has plenty of lizards and snakes, including iggys. My baby Veezara has been living in a 75 gallon tank for quite a while, seeing as we do not have anything else to provide, due to money problems, though once I acquire a good amount of money, I’m going to push to have a proper habitat built for my dear baby. There are a few problems, some I know how to fix, like the crusty goop formed by food and saliva on the edges on his lips from time to time, and others like the swollen lump on his leg that I earlier thought could have been MBD and tried to postpone the progress with a whole lot of greens, a uva/uvb lamp, and some extra vitamins and supplements from ground up dry iguana food that I would put on his fresh food. Since then, I have moved yet again from Minnesota to Oklahoma with my boyfriend, and he has been eating the straight dry iguana food with plenty of water each day. My baby isn’t that big, the half a year without his proper lighting has left him smaller than he should be, stunted his growth. But now that he has it and has been eating a bit more than before, he has grown to nearly over a foot with a pleasant round belly that I just love to see as it makes me feel happy to keep him well fed and healthy, despite the minor, or major(I cannot figure out and do not have the money to take him to an exotic vet) Issue with his left leg(May I also add that the swollen thigh HAS gotten smaller since I have had him under a proper light.
But lately, these past few days, I’ve noticed that his vent is rather swollen and puffy, I’m worried as can be and I hope it has to do with mating season, but it is the middle of December and there are no other female iguanas around for miles. I can provide pictures if you can help me figure out what to do and how to keep my baby safe and healthy as possible.

12/19/13  03:55pm

Katekawetha
View Profile

Message To: Katekawetha   In reference to Message Id: 2302740

I’m worried

And heres a picture of his leg compared to the other one(wonky angle, sorry)

I couldn’t imagine life without this little guy.

12/19/13  04:26pm

Really
View Profile

Message To: Katekawetha   In reference to Message Id: 2302746

I’m worried

This post may have gotten a better response if you had posted it in the right forum -- the one for green iguanas. However, your boy will probably be okay now that he has the proper UV, but I suggest also taking him out for real sunlight as often as possible and being extra careful about diet. Please try to put aside money for a vet and let a vet take some x-rays at it as soon as possible to make sure there is not other hidden damage of MBD. I know that things happen and we’ve had our share of multiple catastrophes but it really is important that iguanas have regular vet check ups just like dogs and cats.

03/25/14  09:32am

Back to Cyclura and Ctenosaura Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area