Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Cyclura and Ctenosaura Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

MightyQuinn   Cphill58   MightyQuinn   Cphill58   MightyQuinn  

Member  Message

MightyQuinn
View Profile

Toe Infection

Hello,
my name is Julie and I am a new member. I have been observing your forum for a long time and think it is a great place for iguana lovers to convene. :) I have a 2 1/2 foot female red iguana named Kawaii. She is very friendly and sweet and loves to cuddle. The only problem is, I just noticed her toe is infected. I recently lost my job and don’t have money to take her to the vet. What should I do? I am very worried.

12/21/12  01:03pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: MightyQuinn   In reference to Message Id: 2288072

Toe Infection

If you have 12.00 or so , go to the Walgreen or Walmart pharmacy and purchase BETADINE solution, over the counter. Use only what you need each time. Mix the Betadine with water until it is the color of strong Tea. Dab on with q tip ...or soak...bathe... if you have the time / room ...apply the solution to the affected area. Treat as often as possible. 2x a day. Store the batch of diluted solution in a suitable container if you have left overs.

Also get some triple antibiotic ...generic brands are fine. Use the type without pain reliever.

Apply antibiotic to the affected area in between baths / soaks.

Identify the cause and try to eliminate the hazard...if the nail is hanging loosely you may have to remove it so it heals. They usually do not grow back...they do just fine and many iggys are missing nails.

If you remove the nail and it bleeds be prepared to stop the bleeding with corn starch or arrow root. I keep mine in the spice / baking cabinet in the kitchen...it clots the blood and stops the bleeding.

12/23/12  05:33pm

MightyQuinn
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2288188

Toe Infection

Thank you so much for your reply! It was very helpful!

12/24/12  05:05am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: MightyQuinn   In reference to Message Id: 2288197

Toe Infection

Very Welcome ...please keep us posted and have a wonderful Christmas
If you have specific questions we are happy to help if we can

12/24/12  03:55pm

MightyQuinn
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2288208

Toe Infection