Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Cyclura and Ctenosaura Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Medichick911   Audib30   Really  

Member  Message

Medichick911
View Profile

Diet for my Green Iguana - HELP!

Hello!
I am new to this group, so please excuse me if I am posting in the wrong category.

First off, a little about myself...
My name is Heather. I am 27 years old, from NC. I vaguely remember owning my first iguana as a child, but "dear old mom" was responsible for its care back then. I clearly remember "Ziggy," a rescue green iguana I had acquired while I was in college. He spent most of my college years living in my apartment with me, but died soon after I graduated and moved back home (he was about 10 years old, and I found him dead in his tank one day). Ziggy also had some veterinary issues, which may have contributed to his death. Besides an iguana, I also have a white German Shepherd, a domestic short haired cat, a Maine Coon cat, a Cockatoo, and a horse.

Just yesterday, I had acquired a 3 month old female green iguana from somebody on craigslist (best place to find an animal in desperate need of a good home). I have the tank set up properly, with UVB, UVA/basking light, and a night light, all on timers. I have a mulch bedding, and branches for it to climb on. Obviously, I have a small water dish with fresh water, and a food dish with fresh food as well. My immediate question is about this little girl’s diet. This iguana is very small, so I chopped up a variety of lettuces and mixed veggies (green beans, peas, carrots, corn) and put it in the food dish. The iguana only seems to be picking out the green beans. How can I attract it to the lettuces and other veggies? I don’t remember my last iguana (Ziggy) ever being a picky eater... he used to eat pretty much anything you put in his tank. Other than being a picky eater, this little girl appears to be active, friendly, and healthy. Should I be feeding her once daily, or provide her with a constant food supply? She is currently being housed in a 20 gal. acquarium (she’s just a baby), but I have bigger sizes in the attic (up to 100 gal) for her to move up to as she grows.

Also, while I am posting, does anyone have any suggestions for a name for this little girl?

Thanks in advance!
Heather

06/07/12  07:41am

Audib30
View Profile

Message To: Medichick911   In reference to Message Id: 2269105

Lettuce is not going to give your new girl any nutrition, only water... Try collard greens, dandelion greens, mustard greens, and turnip greens. (all available at mejier). If she still doesn’t take those, try using a food processor and adding green beans, and other things she seems to like. That works great for me! And my girl loves green beans too, lol! :)

06/28/12  05:12pm

Really
View Profile

Message To: Audib30   In reference to Message Id: 2271519

Check out the Green Iguana Society and Iguana Den online. They have good tips. Also, you might want to repost in the regular Iguana section of RZ. This forum is very slow but the other forum stays busy.

Link

07/02/12  08:27am

Back to Cyclura and Ctenosaura Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area