Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Cyclura and Ctenosaura Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cyclura and Ctenosaura Forum

Member  Message

RobK.
View Profile

Lighting

After messing with MVB’s ( mega ray , power-sun, solar-glo ) i have gone back to using two 48 ’’ repti-sun 10.0 tubes and halogen bulbs for heat . I have the worst luck with the MVB either burning out or not putting out enough UVB . The zoo-med 100 watt was only giving me a 23 MW reading it at 12’’ after running all day and it was only 2 months old . I checked it with a 6.2 solar meter and then returned it to pets-mart , where i paid over 70.00 with tax . :( my mega ray burned out in less than three months and IMO their customer service is the worst i have seen .. I don’t expect a new bulb , or my money back for a backorder i have with them . :) The good part is I am getting 135 mw at 12’’ and 150+/- at 10’’ , and get 55-60 MW of UV at the floor @ over 22’’ below the zoo-med Repti-sun 48’’ tubes . I am glad i bought the solar meter so i can test my bulbs my self . :) . And my Rhino has had a runny nose for months and i even took him to a vet ( 1 1/2 hour drive one way ) and she said all was well, and he was healthy . BUT within 3 days after putting the 2 Reptisun 48’’ tubes in his cage his runny nose stopped . :) He had it for moths and i tried changing his diet with no luck . Not sure why it stopped , or if it had anything to do with the new 48’’ 10,0 tubes , but i am glad . And he now has the opportunity to get the UVB he needs .

this is about 9-10’’ from the two 48’’ zoo-med repi-sun 10.0 tubes . move up a couple inches and it will double .

08/25/11  06:10pm

Back to Cyclura and Ctenosaura Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area