Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Cyclura and Ctenosaura Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cyclura and Ctenosaura Forum

Bcardello   Really  
 Member  Message

Bcardello
View Profile

Iguana using basking area as bathroom

I rescued a 9 year old iguana a few days ago. I was told by the previous owner he was paper trained. I have an enclosure that is 10 by 6 and 8 feet high. One said has an area covered in paper the other side is his basking area. He has been going to the bathroom in his basking area. Then lays in it. His old enclosure was about 8 by 2 and 2 feet high. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get him to start using the paper or to stop going in his basking area?

07/26/11  11:37pm

Really
View Profile

Message To: Bcardello   In reference to Message Id: 2230660

Iguana using basking area as bathroom

It may be the stress and the change. Kismet has a spot she goes in, but when she is upset she uses going to the bathroom to show her displeasure. For example, for two weeks when I first brought Sebastian home she pooed in front of his enclosure. The other day she was upset about us not taking her with us and she pooed in her kennel and then poo painted. Give him a little time and see what happens. If you catch him pooing you can tell him "no" in a firm voice and move him to where he is supposed to poo. I usually accompany my "no!"s to my iggies with a firm head bob as well.

07/29/11  02:07pm

Back to Cyclura and Ctenosaura Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area