Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Crustaceans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Crustaceans Forum

Fee1   IrishEyes  
 Member  Message

Fee1
View Profile

Patriot crabs anyone?????

Does anybody on here have a patriot crab???? If so what is their basic care?

05/01/06  12:47am

IrishEyes
View Profile

Message To: Fee1   In reference to Message Id: 765917

Patriot crabs anyone?????

Hi there "feel". I have two patriot crabs - male and female (haven’t seen any eggs yet!). Care is relatively easy. I have them set up in a 10-gallon fish aquarium w/a screened top cover with basic fish tank rocks (only not the pebbles - they hold too much dirt and can stink up the room easily - use the medium sized) on half of the bottom. Fill the other side with water about 3 finger-width deep. I placed an aquarium log on top of the rocks and they like climbing on it, hiding behind or in it. They eat feeder fish and romaine lettuce. Be careful when placing fishtank like logs/trees, etc. Be sure they don’t have fake flower/plants - they will actually eat them! Thankfully, my two didn’t get a chance to eat much and I believe they ok now, but they do like that leafy green romaine. They each get one feeder fish a day. That’s it! I don’t keep a light on them and they’ve been surviving for over 6 months with my set up. I’ve seen the patriots set up with all water in the tank w/a floating plastic greenery thing or a half sand and half water setup, but they seem content with my setup more so (plus it is a lot less messier). They like getting out of the water often and I usually find them under the log (they burrow) or inside it. Use bottled water or treated tap water (w/the drops to remove the chlorine, etc - like you would with fresh water fishtank setups). I only have to replace the water about once a month. They don’t always eat all the fish, so it’s best to remove any dried up fish remains or you may get those little tiny flies in the tank. That’s about it - hope this helps!

07/29/08  02:32am

Back to Crustaceans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area