Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Crustaceans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Crustaceans Forum

Amphibianguy   Apple pie   Amphibianguy   Apple pie   Amphibianguy   Ron burgundy  
 Member  Message

Amphibianguy
View Profile

Crayfish for My Birthday

My birthday is coming up and I’m going to catch a North American Crayfish. Yes when I get it I will post pics on the crustaceans forum and on my profile in his profile. I am still thinking about a lot though.

First I need some names. Boy and girl names are acceptable. These names are off limits, Crusty, Hermie, and Mr. Krabs.

Now I am only getting one and I need to know what gallon tank to use. For the setup I’m going to have some land and majority water with gravel as substrate in the water but I don’t know what to use for the land substrate. I will but a rock in the water for him and maybe a piece of driftwood. I will also have a couple of plants. Tell me what you think on the setup and adjustments.

Now the catching technique. I am going to catch it at an old pond we used to fish at. I’m going to catch it with a fishing pole. I will take the hook off of the fishing pole and then tie a chicken neck to the fishing pole with the fishing line. I will also bring a net just in case that doesn’t work and I will flip over rocks and catch them that way the way my dad originally told me to do it but I came up with the other way and we changed our minds.

06/28/10  10:35am

Apple pie
View Profile

Message To: Amphibianguy   In reference to Message Id: 2159128

Crayfish for My Birthday

You would need at least a 10 gallon and you could just add enough gravel to one side to make a land area. I think your crayfish would like the plants but I’m not sure if he would use them as a hiding place or as food.

06/30/10  03:15pm

Amphibianguy
View Profile

Message To: Apple pie   In reference to Message Id: 2159632

Crayfish for My Birthday

Thanks for the help but I’m still working on names. I am thinking a little now about Larry or Sandy. Also do you think my catching technique is good. Also do you think I should put driftwood and a rock in the water for him to climb up on.

07/01/10  11:09am

Apple pie
View Profile

Message To: Amphibianguy   In reference to Message Id: 2159778

Crayfish for My Birthday

How about Kraken (the name of a sea monster) or Pepper? I’ve only ever caught them by moving rocks and picking them up with my hands but I also haven’t ever tried to catch them any other way. Driftwood and a rock would be fine. Make sure your crayfish can’t escape out of the tank and keep the water clean by doing partial water changes. If you use a filter you wouldn’t need to change the water as often. Good luck

07/03/10  04:49pm

Amphibianguy
View Profile

Message To: Apple pie   In reference to Message Id: 2160191

Crayfish for My Birthday

Thanks for all of your help. I think those are pretty good names that I might go with. As I said check back later for pics.

07/03/10  07:39pm

Ron burgundy
View Profile

Message To: Amphibianguy   In reference to Message Id: 2160214

Crayfish for My Birthday

depending on where you live you can just catch them in creeks. just lift over rocks and catch them with either your hands or a net. i live in north carolina and theyre everywhere. and if you have a filter there is no need for a land part on one side of the tank. crayfish prefer to stay underwater as long as its moving at a steady pace.

07/28/11  09:48pm

Back to Crustaceans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area