Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Crustaceans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Crustaceans Forum

Anea   Clawedfrogsrule   Anea  
 Member  Message

Anea
View Profile

New crab owner!

i jus bought a fiddler crab from walmart and at the store he was in a tank full of water with other crabs. i only got 1 so anyways when i got him home i put him in my moms fish tank. he was in there for a couple hours. i was on the phone with a friend and realized that i knew nothing about these animals. so i looked it up. i know that im supposed to have wt and dry land for him and hes a scavenger so i can pretty much jus trhow food at the bottom...is there anything else that i need to know? do he need heat or a filter???

08/22/09  07:07pm

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: Anea   In reference to Message Id: 2062027

New crab owner!

yes they do need land, otherwise they’ll drown after a couple of weeks/months.
A filter will definitely help keep the tank clean, but isn’t completely necessary as long as you stay on top of things and take out uneaten food and waste.
For temps, room temp is usually fine, unless you live in a cold area, then I’d suggest looking into a heater.
And they live in brackish water (in between fresh and salt water), so you’ll have to get some aquarium salt and figure out how much to put it in based on the amount of water and everything.
Mine used to like eating sinking shrimp pellets, algae wafers, fish food, etc. If you want to make them really happy you can throw in a feeder fish, but it’s not necessary.

08/31/09  08:54pm

Anea
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 2066027

New crab owner!

i was thinking about giving him a feeder fish but i wasnt sure. hes pretty big so as long as he can catch it then im fine :)

09/04/09  01:24am

Back to Crustaceans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area