Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Crustaceans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Crustaceans Forum

Jimrythm   Clawedfrogsrule   Jimrythm   Clawedfrogsrule   AnimalGirl1993  
 Member  Message

Jimrythm
View Profile

Some Qs abt hermits and fiddlers

OK, we have a fiddler crab, we bought it from the pet store about two and a half years ago, how long is it going to live?

For the hermit crabs, can you breed them?It would seem that it would be relatively easy, wouldn’t you just leave it to them. When the babies hatch(?) you take the adults out. I could get some super small snail shells from in a lake that I go to occasionally and then put them in boiling water to disinfect them. Then I would have a few hundred shells of different sizes. how many eggs (if they have eggs) will the hermit crab lay, and how often?

We have had a few hermits in the house for ever, but they bury themselves in the sand and forget to come out! all different size crabs bury themselves and then die. can I have a layer of sand half a inch thick so this doesn’t happen?

sorry I haven’t posted on this part of the forum yet :)

11/27/08  09:50am

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: Jimrythm   In reference to Message Id: 1905656

The fiddler crab probably won’t live too much longer actually, they generally live 1-2 years :(

as for hermits, I don’t know too much about them. I don’t think they can be bred successfully in captivity, I don’t know why, but I just don’t think it happens.
as for the burrowing, it’s completely normal for them to bury themselves, and they do it especially when shedding. You can’t have just a thin layer of sand because then they won’t be able to shed properly, which can cause problems of its own. I guess my only reccomendation is to be sure your setup is ok for them: deep sand, very moist and humid, both fresh and salt water available, good quality food (not pre-packaged hermit food - it’s actually not good for them apparently) You can check the care sheets on this site for more details and everything, that’s probably the best advice I can give.

11/28/08  10:47am

Jimrythm
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 1906075

Quote:

The fiddler crab probably won’t live too much longer actually, they generally live 1-2 years :(

i don’t mean to sound mean, but good (none of our animals die! )

OK, my sand is four inches deep, it is also moist. I have a 29 gal tall with a second level made of a box with a ramp to get up on top of. the salt water is on there and the food dish too. there is a large shallow freshwater dish on the first level under the ramp and there is a meal worm tube that they go through every single day.

Quote:

good quality food (not pre-packaged hermit food - it’s actually not good for them apparently

are those little plastic containers full of food OK? one is fruit and flower powder mix and I have hermit crab cakes that are, from what I get from the ingredients, wheat and fish meal. could I just cut up a feeder fish and some veggie and fruit and put it in there? I am not sure what you mean by that.

11/30/08  11:03am

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: Jimrythm   In reference to Message Id: 1906949

I think most fruit is good, like bananas and strawberries. If you go to the caresheets on this site they’ll tell you more than I can. I’ve never had hermits, but I’ve looked them up in the past (I was thinking about getting them). There is a hermit crab forum on the site also, which can definately help you a lot in terms of diet and everything else.

11/30/08  05:00pm

AnimalGirl1993
View Profile

Message To: Jimrythm   In reference to Message Id: 1905656

um...hermit crabs both marine and land do not breed in captivity and if they do there eggs don’t survive.all hermit crabs u see in the stores r wild caught.u would probaly get hundreds if u got any eggs.u need more than that of sand go to thecrabbagepatch.com they have info on hermit crabs and u must be doing something wrong with there care they shouldn’t be dying.

12/09/08  01:51pm

Back to Crustaceans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area