Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Crustaceans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Crustaceans Forum

Blightedchemist   Clawedfrogsrule   Blightedchemist  
 Member  Message

Blightedchemist
View Profile

Halloween crab death durring molt?

Well to start, my halloween crab has been with me for a month, has been very healthy and has everything a halloween crab would want or need.
On wednesday the crab was active(as active as they normaly get, I heard it digging around in his coconut shell cave and saw it in there alive) thursday morning same thing.
However lastnight(thursday night) when I peeked in to take a look it appeared that he was in the burst stage of a molt. Now ive researched crab molting and the lot, and it seems that this is NOT what a typical motl should look like. It seems that instead of a normal burst where a softer normal looking crab would scuttle out of his old shell, instead the old top shell was pulled forward and exposed a nice looking new top shell.
The part that raises concern is, I havent read anywhere that this is the stage that they will appear life less in, I figure they up and crawl out of their other shell and THEN appear life less while their new shell grows and hardens.
Instead It appears that aside from his new top shell, none of the leg shell or bottom shell generated before the burst leaving what looked like a legless bulge of meat and entrails with a brand new black shell on top of it.
I checked again this morning as I am new to the molt process, but the crabs position or condition did not change.
Is my crab dead? this does not look normal at all.(mostly the part about no new legs at all, and the glimpse of entrails near the front.
-to check on the crab all I had to do was look in the cave i put in there for him, so I did not disrupt him while checking.
Is there any information anyone would have on this situation? or did my crab molt too early and die?

08/15/08  10:32am

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: Blightedchemist   In reference to Message Id: 1831704

If it’s in exactly the same position as last night, I think it’s probably dead. I’ve never had a halloween crab, but I’ve had fiddlers and crayfish, and normally by morning they’re up and around. I’ve had some incidents with crayfish losing legs/claws in the molt, but never all the legs and the bottom half. I guess try gently poking it with a net or something, but at this point the odds don’t seem good.
Sorry :(

08/15/08  05:21pm

Blightedchemist
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 1832083

Yeah got home from work, checked on it, could have sworn i saw a leg twitch, and it looks like whre the new legs SHOULD be there are new leg sprouts, could just be me...Ill probably make a death sentence tonight or tomorrow.

08/15/08  08:22pm

Back to Crustaceans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area