Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Crustaceans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Crustaceans Forum

Leah_Lizard   Clawedfrogsrule   Leah_Lizard   Clawedfrogsrule   Leah_Lizard   Clawedfrogsrule   Leah_Lizard  
 Member  Message

Leah_Lizard
View Profile

Land crustaceon

im looking for a land crustaceon other than a hermie. mine passed recently and i’ve decided to move on. an suggestions or am i doomed to get another herm

08/08/08  08:54pm

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: Leah_Lizard   In reference to Message Id: 1824476

Land crustaceon

Well most of the other crustaceans I can think of are either underwater or half/half. Fiddler crabs are pretty cool, they’re relatively small so they don’t need too much space. They need a nice brackish water area, but they do like to come up on land also and walk around. If you google it you can get lots of good info on care. I really liked having mine, they were really interesting little guys, and they interact with you too, like they’ll wave the big claw at you trying to act all tough and macho, but it just looks like they’re waving hello :P

08/08/08  09:39pm

Leah_Lizard
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 1824511

Land crustaceon

thanks i think i’ve decided to get another hermit crab. I’m going to try a new cage set up. In my tank i had used gravel and my crabs couls never molt without the sand. (i came to this conclusion a bit late) my friend’s crabs molt at the ready. i might get 2 this time. I usually get one that i play with all the time but 2 is twice the fun. I’ll post pics on the hermit crabs forum in a week or so.

08/08/08  11:14pm

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: Leah_Lizard   In reference to Message Id: 1824592

Land crustaceon

oh yeah the sand is crucial for them to burrow. When you do go on the hermit forum just explain your background and that you did decide to change the way you care for them. I used to visit that forum a lot (never actually had hermits, but was interested), and they tend to get angry about things like gravel and other parts of the setup that aren’t quite right...just a warning. But they are very helpful and knowledgeable too if you do need help.

08/09/08  11:31am

Leah_Lizard
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 1824893

Land crustaceon

i had never posted there and when i had gotten hermit crabs thats the set up they were in and when i was told other wise they were fine so i didn’t think much of it. my sister had given me one of her hermit crabs and after maybe 4 months it got stressed out because it all of a sudden got 90 degrees in MA i live in florida now but anyway. i had kept it cool in a wet wash cloth and watched it constantly and it got better so i was wondering if maybe it was stressed because it needed to molt.

08/09/08  02:19pm

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: Leah_Lizard   In reference to Message Id: 1825042

Land crustaceon

Well I don’t know much about them in terms of temperature requirements, but it’s possible it needed to molt and just wanted someplace to burrow. I had that experience with a caterpillar too, I had a pot full of dirt for it to burrow, but rather than climb into it, it just kept pacing around the floor of the tank frantically looking for a spot to dig in.

08/10/08  06:34pm

Leah_Lizard
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 1826287

Land crustaceon

i didn’t know caterpillars could dig

08/15/08  08:16pm

Back to Crustaceans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area