Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Crustaceans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Crustaceans Forum

Frogler   Clawedfrogsrule   HorseGurl  
 Member  Message

Frogler
View Profile

Hopin’ to get a hermit crab, dont know squat!

Any like guides.... or tips, advice, Im about to hit the care pages... just wated to get this out first.

05/14/08  01:06am

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: Frogler   In reference to Message Id: 1734855

there’s a hermit crab forum if you want to try that, it’ll definately yeild better results than this one (no offense to anyone here)
The best I can tell you is that it’s like 2.5 gallons a crab I believe, and they’re social, so you’ll have to get more than one. They need access to fresh and salt water at all times, and the substrate needs to be double the height of the crab for burrowing, and needs to be very moist...besides that I know nothing. There are a lot of dietary things you’ll need to know, but I don’t know because I’ve never had any. Good luck.

05/14/08  05:33pm

HorseGurl
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 1735380

the size of the cage depends on the size and number of crabs. i have a 20 gallon long for about 25 crabs and most of them are small. you have to have the sand at least 1 inch over the biggest crab. don’t bother with sponges, though most people will tell you otherwise, they do nothing. you need to have a water dish shallow enough so your smallest crab can’t drown. they love to climb. if you go to the beach, get seaweed and put it in the cage, they love it! there are many treats that you can give them, just experiment to see what they like. you can find lists online. spray the cage daily to keep it humid. i have my crabs in front of the window, they love sitting in the sunshine.

hope this helps. if you have any questions feel free to message me.

07/15/08  07:55pm

Back to Crustaceans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area