Crustaceans Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Crustaceans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cubana95   Littleraindrop87   Dozermom   Griffinj12  

Member  Message

Cubana95
View Profile

Hermit Crabs

What is the lifespan of a hermit crab? Can anyone tell me about how to care for them? I had one as a pet when I was in Fiji (I set it free when I left) and they grew on me, I want one from a petstore to keep long term now. They’re so adorable!

03/26/08  02:18pm

Littleraindrop87
View Profile

Message To: Cubana95   In reference to Message Id: 1676620

Hermit Crabs

there is a hermit crab forum. its better if u go there coz there are more hermie crabbers who are experienced over there to answer your questions! :)

04/19/08  10:09am

Dozermom
View Profile

Message To: Cubana95   In reference to Message Id: 1676620

Hermit Crabs

I have had some of mine for 9 years now. I did read somewhere that there have been some to reach 23 years (this may have been one of the larger ones such as the coconut crab, which is a type of hermit crab. Go for it and get more than one. They will talk to each other. Mine get very vocal at times. Be sure to have multiple extra shells on hand in the set-up for them. Give plenty of fresh water, mist often (I have mine in a terrarium with a wire top which I cover in foil to keep the humidity high (lack of humidity is the leading cause of death) and change food frequently(I do mine weekly). Give a main diet of hermit crab food, then you can give treats of almost anything from crushed cat or dog food, to bits of chips or chocolate. (Anything goes) As long as the crab food is the main diet. Also give a piece of cuttlebone (or a starfish) for calcium. When they molt, they are often mistaken for dead, when you see the pile of legs..check out the previous shell firstthe crab is usually hiding in there until his new exoskeleton forms. Don’t make the mistake of throwing him out!

01/09/12  08:02pm

Griffinj12
View Profile

Message To: Littleraindrop87   In reference to Message Id: 1708892

Hermit Crabs

they can live 5 too 40 years! not joking, its true!

05/25/13  07:13am

Back to Crustaceans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area