Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Crustaceans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Crustaceans Forum

Mampam   Mampam   Clawedfrogsrule   Mampam  
 Member  Message

Mampam
View Profile

Crawfish question

I got a crawfish named Craw-Daddy, or Daddy (for short)

hes about 1 1/2 in long

how long will it take for him to tame?

is it safe to give him a filter?

05/23/07  09:42pm

Mampam
View Profile

Message To: Mampam   In reference to Message Id: 1291832

Crawfish question

i just got another, i hope theyre male and female

05/24/07  03:27pm

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: Mampam   In reference to Message Id: 1292507

Crawfish question

I hope you have a large tank, because even if they are the same size they are cannabalistic, regardless of gender. Also make sure there are plenty of places to hide, like caves and other ornaments. Plants usually get torn apart, so I really wouldn’t bother with those.
They don’t really tame, but sometimes you can teach them to dance for food or wave when you walk by. That’s more driven on instinct and food though.
Also be aware that if you wake up one morning and one is half eaten, it really isn’t the crayfish’s fault, that’s just instinctual. Also make sure you have a good lid secured on the tank, they have a habit of disappearing and being found months later somewhere around the house dead.
Filters are fine as long as it doesn’t attach to the side/top of the tank through an opening in the lid that the crayfish can get through. Filtration itself is really good though.

05/24/07  05:58pm

Mampam
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 1292659

Crawfish question

thx, i have all that stuff, but ur sure one may eat another, i mean, my teacher had like 12 in a 10gal tank
and they never ate eachother, so i guess i shud give them enuf food, so they wont have to.

any advice on breeding?

05/25/07  09:58am

Back to Crustaceans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area