Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Crustaceans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Crustaceans Forum

Mama42   Clawedfrogsrule   Mama42   Mama42   Clawedfrogsrule   Mama42   Mama42   Bben_hermit  
 Member  Message

Mama42
View Profile

RIP little crab!

its so sad! i was feeding my fish and noticed something laying upside down at the bottom. it was "sqidward"! (thats what the kids named him(it) from spongebob). oh well! . im not suprised. i mean...how was he eating anyway living in the filter. i feel bad!

BTW...i took him out and (of course, the kids just had to check him out) noticed he didnt have a larger claw on the one side. hmm. what does that mean? this is what he looked like:he was like adark grey and not quite an inch long, he had eight legs (i guess they all do), and same size claws on both sides. so does that mean he wasnt a fiddler? M-

03/12/07  02:19am

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1206211

RIP little crab!

That just means that it was a girl, only the males have the one big claw. The colors can vary, mine are actually two different colors, theyíre both dark brown, but one has a lighter tan stripe going across the top. They can vary their shades based on the setup theyíre in, so maybe the filter was grey?

Iím really sorry for your loss, itís good you guys are curious about what happened though, so that just in case you get another in the future you have some experience and knowlege.

03/13/07  09:25pm

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 1208296

RIP little crab!

well, today i went back to the pet store and pointed out what crab i had and told them what happened. she said it was a miniature fresh water crab and NOT a fiddler. they also had king crabs with purplish-red on the legs and claws. the manager also said it was a mini crab (fresh water). i dont know, maybe they were misinformed. also, they said that a lot of ppl buy them and they never had any complaints. they told me to have my water tested and the ph might be wrong and maybe thats why he died. i dont know. what do you guys think?? im confused

03/14/07  01:06am

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1208565

RIP little crab!

lol. i forgot to tell you...my 13 yo son KEPT the crab for decoration

03/14/07  01:08am

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1208568

RIP little crab!

How did he preserve it???If he didnít, your whole house is going to smell like dead crab pretty soon.
Anyway...I donít know about freshwater crabs, most petstores sell fiddler crabs as freshwater, so honestly Iíd trust a google search much more than a petstore any day. Have you looked online for any pictures or anything, that would probably help the most with comparisons.

03/15/07  08:11pm

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 1210508

RIP little crab!

yea, but they all have 1 bigger claw. im going to look again and see what i come up with.
he wants to know how you would preserve it...
thanks. M-

03/15/07  10:37pm

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1210669

RIP little crab!

oh...and never mind about preserving the crab...his rat just took off with it!!! theyre such thieves lol.

03/15/07  10:54pm

Bben_hermit
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 1208296

RIP little crab!

Well reallythat is not how you tell between the two male and female

07/09/07  01:36pm

Back to Crustaceans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area