Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

GirlyHerpy   Icearstorm   GirlyHerpy   Icearstorm  

Member  Message

GirlyHerpy
View Profile

Whats going on?!?!?! HELP

So where i buy my crickets, they come in large ish containers and have tiny holes so they can breath. I was just walking into my garage (Where i keep them) To get some food for my anole. I realized that all the crickets were dead. But the only weird thing was, there was little tan ish coloured specs all around the container! I looked close and it looked like some were moving. I made a timelaps video (LOL) of the specs and they were in fact moving. I don’t know what they were but we swept them up and put them in a bag, and threw them out. (in our outdoor garbage can). Are these baby crickets!!!! I don’t want them in my house!!!! Please help!!!

03/24/16  08:26pm

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: GirlyHerpy   In reference to Message Id: 2317559

I’d need to see a picture first, but it does sound like these were baby/ "pinhead" crickets, though it is also possible that they were parasites. If the crickets’ enclosure had warm, moist substrate and the crickets were chirping for a while, then it is likely that the crickets bred, died, and then the eggs hatched. If you recently got the crickets, then these things are probably not baby crickets; cricket eggs take about two weeks to hatch and are often eaten by adults if in a small container. They could have also been maggots; certain small flies feed on dead crickets and lay their eggs in them or nearby. If they are baby crickets, they should not be able to climb up a trash can unless it is overflowing, however; if they are maggots, they could turn into flies within a few days and perhaps fly into the house. I wouldn’t worry about insect infestation, though, since the trash can is outside.

03/27/16  10:22am

GirlyHerpy
View Profile

Message To: Icearstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2317590

Tank you so much! They had been Chirping for a while, and the substrate in the container was moist. Although they had been dead for 1-2 days because when we went to feed him (We put 2-5 crickets in his cage and it takes him 2 days to eat them) They were dead. They were immediately taken outside and we haven’t seen any fies (I like in canada and it was quite cold out side) They could of froze to death. I looked up pinheads and they looked like ants but what i have looked like moving pieces of dust.

03/29/16  02:37pm

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: GirlyHerpy   In reference to Message Id: 2317633

Glad I could be of help! As for the crickets, it seems likely that they had parasites. It’s probably just a one-time occurrence, but just be careful if you buy and feed any more of them to your lizard. If stuff continues to hatch out and kill the crickets, it would be best to transfer to another cricket source.

03/30/16  03:14pm

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area